What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

Ziggy7

I'm wondering as well. I Googled "swim wallet" and the only reference on the entire Internet is this thread. I think it may be what the original poster is calling it, but not the "official" name. Maybe it's just a wallet that they don't mind getting wet?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV102?Args=

try clicking on that site.

Thanks! This led me to search for "waterproof wallet" and I found lots of options.

Hum...big leap from "swim wallet" to "waterproof wallet"...looks like I should have been able to figure that one out!:)

• 4 weeks later...
We don't do this but, how come nobody has admitted to bringing a blender? :p

Now, there's a good use for the "Magic Bullet"! ;) But, I can say for a fact that I NEVER have enough room for even THAT!

Great thread -- already making my list of "don't forget items" for our upcoming trip! :D

If you consider 15-25 pairs of animal slippers NOT unusual the only thing that we pack that could be called unusual is the 3.5KW generator that Ruth has to take to run the extension cords off of to run all her electrical appliances.

Last time she hooked them up to the ships circuits she blew all the fuses in the ship.

Jim

If you consider 15-25 pairs of animal slippers NOT unusual the only thing that we pack that could be called unusual is the 3.5KW generator that Ruth has to take to run the extension cords off of to run all her electrical appliances.

Last time she hooked them up to the ships circuits she blew all the fuses in the ship.

Jim

OK, I'll ask- a generator for what electrical appliances? And why is Ruth taking them?

Lets me count her toys:

2 Hair dryers

Electric alarm clock

cd/radio

electric mirror

several items I don't even know what they are for but to her she needs them.

WHY IS SHE TAKING THEM:

Because she wants to and being the good spouse that I am I just say

YES DEAR THEY ARE PACKED.......

Jim

Re some of the previous postings, I can't believe almost no comment was made about "let's put the stereo speakers out on the balcony." So inconsiderate. In the balcony cabins (aft or not) you can basically hear every sound or conversation coming from the adjoining balcony, that's why we always try to speak in a low voice when we're out there. Speakers on the balcony?! Ridiculous!

Re the candle, yes, I must admit I have brought previously a Glade -type candle (the kind in a glass jar) and I never burn it for long, just for the scent and I would never fall asleep with it burning. Maybe this time I'll leave it home and stick with the aerosol. However, in that regard I'd be much more afraid of people smoking in the their cabins after drinking, falling asleep with a burning cigarette in bed, etc. I'm shocked actually there aren't more fires on ships. As an ex-drinker and smoker I'm not getting on any kind of soap box, but I'd be much more worried about that, IF I was going to worry at all.

And, please, I love all kinds of music (well, maybe not ALL kinds), but please don't subject me to your music on the balcony.

You expressed your feelings in a very logical civilized manner and can't agree with them more.

I am a smoker and a drinker and if the person in the next cabin told me (in a cililized way) that my smoking was bothering them on the balcony I would try to accomidate them wit some type of schedule.

You have to appreciate it when people are honest with you in a civilized way....

Jim & Ruth

First- These are some quirky things I always bring:

extra batteries, small flashlight, nightlight, manicure scissors, magnification mirror, lint stickers, extra hangers (that I can leave behind), assortment of herbal teas, gum & breath mints & antibacterial hand wash

Second- These are the items I always bring, hope I never have to use, but usually need to use at least one on every trip:

antibiotic cream, Tylenol, Motrin, antacid, band-aids, mole skin, Orabase, Uristat, Benadryl, Swim-Ear, and Imodium AD.

I don't worry about motion sickness because my Doctor perscribes me Scopolamine Patches, which I have needed to use, they work really well, except they make me thirsty.

Have a great trip!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love everyone's recommendations...the shoe rack (on back of door) is absolutely the best...make sure that it is see through, mine was mesh, and you can store everything...all toiletries, meds, etc. I brought one with 24 pockets and it was well organized and neat. We never searched for anything. However...the other great great gadget is....

I wear a badge to get in and out of work. I have a badge clip that is on a pully string. I take my badge clip on the cruise...I have them punch a whole in the card and clip it to my badge clip. I can then clip my card to anything that I'm wearing...bathing suits etc...so that I don't have to carry around a purse during the day. Some people wear a different kind around their neck, etc. This one doesn't stand out like a sore thumb...

I stole this idea from my sister. Everyone was jealous and wanted to know if the ship sold them. They should....;)

An unbreakable, large size coffee mug. DH and I are big coffee fans. Bringing coffee back to the cabin from the Lido in the small size mugs they have up there, it doesn't seem to be more than a few sips. It's nice to have a larger mug to sit and read with.

I wear a badge to get in and out of work. I have a badge clip that is on a pully string. I take my badge clip on the cruise...I have them punch a whole in the card and clip it to my badge clip. I can then clip my card to anything that I'm wearing...bathing suits etc...so that I don't have to carry around a purse during the day. Some people wear a different kind around their neck, etc. This one doesn't stand out like a sore thumb...

I stole this idea from my sister. Everyone was jealous and wanted to know if the ship sold them. They should....;)

Please tell us where you purchased the badge clip on the pully..I always take my badge holder to wear around my neck but your's is much less conspicuous..

Thanks..Happy Sailing everyone

As I am of a certain age, and temperature challenged, I carry a small electric fan and extension cord so the fan can be on my night stand and blow right on me. (It ALWAYS gets my luggage inspected after the x-ray!)

I also take an address book so tablemates can put their info right in the book.

Most of the hints have gone on my list for my Jan cruise. I'm still not convinced about the Twinkies and wine tho.

DH would probably throw a fit about the flamingo lights but I may try it.

Celebrating our 34th anniversary on the Oosterdam, Jan 28th, Mexican Riviera.

I always make up some business cards with the following information on them:

Our names

Address

Telephone Number

Email

Ship Name

Date of Sailing

and give them to our table-mates or others when asked to keep in touch after the cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I would hope the room steward would report candles in cabins if people insist on having them; this exposes the entire ship to DANGER. Saying one would never go to sleep doesn't do the trick. Everyone thinks that, yet there are hundreds of house fires every year in our state from just that.............I'm sure they didn't plan on going to sleep with the candle burning.

I take Hand Sanitizer.............I take it everywhere. I have two tiny bottles which I can refill and they are with me when we go onshore. I use it at home. Have you ever seen the reports on TV regarding the filth on shopping carts? Ick!:(

I love the idea of a mesh shoe holder for the bathroom door; am looking for one tomorrow! Thanks.:o

A highlighter is the only thing that works for determining one's choices on the daily newspaper of what's going on on the ship.:)

I always have a flashlight when we travel. Learned that from my Mom when the electricity failed in a high rise hotel they were staying in!

Duct tape.....................if the airline ruins your suitcase, nothing repairs like duct tape.

A decoration for our door. On the cruise we just returned from, our room was right where the elevators are. Many people sought us out to say, "Thanks" because when they got off the elevator, they knew which way to turn by looking at our (starboard) door! Besides, it's fun!:p

A positive attitude. ;) If many people keep finding fault with things, it's easy to get caught up in the discussions. We're on vacation........we want to be happy............we decide before we leave that we will avoid the negative.

I've take books (I'm an avid reader) but I guess I get too busy with people-watching.................never get anything read.

My pedometer goes with me...............it's fun to see how many steps I take without even trying on a ship.

BADGE CLIP LOGISTICS...Very Important.....and I forgot to mention in my original posting....

1st. They had to punch about 3 holes together to make the hole big enough to snap the clip on

2nd. Be sure they punch the hole on the end of the card that you hold not the end where you slide the card into your door.

The freedom of not having to carry that card around is awesome!

Happy Cruiz'n

Colleen

I loved reading this post yesterday since I'm leaving tonight for our Zuidy cruise departing tomorrow...

I, too, am a hand-sanitizing / hand-washing monster. Sometimes I think I border on OCD with my hand-washing, but I can honestly say that I've been sick far fewer times (and mostly those are just allergies) than I used to be since becoming a diligent washer/sanitizer.

Anyhoooo, I loved the idea of party lights, so after work I ran to my local humongous decorating store in search of lights. At first I found some cute gold and silver stars for $10, but the string was only 14' long. We're in a corner aft balcony suite, so I instead wandered over to the enormous Christmas displays and bought two 33' strings of white "elegant sparkle" lights on white cord for $12, and an extension cord to run outside. I also got a couple of 3M Command Adhesive things to stick lights up above our doorway...and then I'll be able to peel them off, no harm no foul, at the end of the cruise. I plan on weaving the lights on and around our railing...hopefully it'll be as beautiful as it is in my mind.

I never would have thought about that if I hadn't read it here -- thanks for the great ideas!!!! :D :D :D

Two things -- a spray can of Lysol Disinfectant spray .
*snip*

Can a spray can be packed in luggage that goes into the belly of the plane? I thought that it coudln't be due to the possibility of it exploding. I don't think you can take it as carryon either.

*snip*

Can a spray can be packed in luggage that goes into the belly of the plane? I thought that it coudln't be due to the possibility of it exploding. I don't think you can take it as carryon either.

From TSA:

Can I take it? Carry-on Checked

Aerosol

(any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) No No

From TSA:

Can I take it? Carry-on Checked

Aerosol

(any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) No No

Hmm...so this makes it even more confusing. So..No, you can't take any aerosol, but Yes, you can take an aerosol container if it is for personal care.

:confused:

Archived