What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

Ziggy7

Hmm...so this makes it even more confusing. So..No, you can't take any aerosol, but Yes, you can take an aerosol container if it is for personal care.

:confused:

Exactly, Iggi... clear as mud, isn't it?

So the can of Lysol spray can NOT be carried on the plane - but your hair spray can... or your hairspray can even be checked.

Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited

quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants)

Yes Yes

The entire list can be found here:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_9_6_2005.pdf

:confused:

If many people keep finding fault with things, it's easy to get caught up in the discussions. We're on vacation........we want to be happy............we decide before we leave that we will avoid the negative.

I truly agree with you Kayef about enough is enough with excess things being taken on board when it is a vacation to relax, enjoy and be served and dined. Enjoy having things done for you that you got away from doing at home.

Granted some of the ideas are things that I haven't thought of and would use and others are completely overboard. Not to make fun of my fellow cruiser, but isn't there enough to carry on and more to take home at the end.

I grant that the hand cleaner are important today, so take a few small bottles but that also have them on stands at the entrance of the ship and also Lido Deck.

But twinkies (how about onboard bake goods), party lighting & extra wiring (I've never reconstructed a cabin), picante or taco sauce (ask your dining staff-should in kitchen), Coffeemaker & Lg Coffee Urns (You have 24 hour coffee in Lido & Room Service), Candles ( I would report the Cabin to the Front Desk - Honestly), Laptop (Ok) but Mini Photo Printer (Really, I only have two arms), Washing down the whole room (Thats the job the cabin steward before boarding & each day), the FINAL WINNER - MAGIC BULLET BLENDER (That takes the cake - Really).

In most favorable winners are Thank you - Travel Journal (BRAVO), Alarm Clock (Yes no alarm/time in room), 3 way plug (As long a safe load on room circuits), Thermometer (Yes with a balcony room I do put one out to see the temp for dressing. The Room TV Monitor & Front Desk does not the Information).

Duct Tape, Compress Gas Cans, Electric Wiring, etc... I can image what the TSA screener are thinking of. Now in someway I know why next years security screening in NYC when we go on the Noordam next year will take much more time then in the past.

I apologize to all, but I couldn't believe of some of the things I have read and will continue to read. But, I go on cruise and try not to carry too too much since I will carry reasonable more off.

Happy Cruisin........

• 1 month later...

Peanut butter and oreo cookies...also crackers and pistacio nuts.

Great for snacks..I know its crazy as i am on ship with 34 hour food..but I love Oreo's...and peanut butter on my toast...

Also ear plugs...really cuts any noise and also helps with rough seas.

harrodsfan: I, too, am a peanut butter-aholic (at least in the morning), and although I've never seen it at the Lido or in the lovely little dishes in the dining room, all you have to do is ask one of the stewards or waiters, and they will be most happy to bring you all you want. I did this on day 3 of our first cruise because I felt like I was going into withdrawal, and boy, was I glad I asked!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 3 months later...
Several books & my blow up Goodyear Blimp that I hang from the balcony so I can see where our cabin is from port.:D Nancy

Since we have an outside gtd I doubt we'll get a balcony so I may take a window cling to put on my window so I can see our cabin from port!

I thought candles were verboten (fire hazard), but what about incense. Does anyone take incense?

A friend gave me one of those candle warmers. You set your candle on the warming plate and it gently melts the wax releasing its perfume. I think it could also as a (ceramic) coffee mug warmer but I haven't tried that, yet.

I would hope the room steward would report candles in cabins if people insist on having them; this exposes the entire ship to DANGER.

I couldn't agree more about the fire danger (I work at the US Fire Administration :D )

However, some Yankee candles are so strong all you need to do is take the lid off the canister and the whole room smells (good, hopefully). I have no problem with that, but I would trim the wick off so the room steward *knew* it wasn't being burned.

I bring a scented air freshener for the bathroom (Ginger Spice from Pier One is my favorite), a bungee cord for the door, my Timex Indiglo alarm clark, a decent corkscrew for in cabin use, personal calling cards (for new friends), massage oil, little surprises for my SO that I give him each day of the cruise.

I always donate my read paperbacks to the ship's library.

CG

The craziness is what I forget to pack. One time I forgot to pack my Metformin which I take with breakfast and supper to control my type two diabetes. Another time I walked off without packing my Alapurinal for gout.

By the end of the cruise I was limping like Chester on Gun-smoke

I pack those 3M sticky hooks. We're usually 4 to a room and there's never enough room to hang things. Then when I leave, I pull the tab, and remove the hooks! They don't even leave a mark.

Best idea I've read though, is the over the door shoe hanger, and zip loc bags.

Being a lifelong backpacker, I always carry a few extra strength needles and a spool of dental floss, which is one of the strongest mini cords around. Great for bandaging anything from luggage to shoes. Duct tape and a mini power strip are standard tote alongs.

By the way, Chester, Dennis Weaver, one of my favorites, died today in Ridway Colorado at 81. We'll miss you around the campfire, pard.

Oosterdam this Saturday for seven sunny siestas in ol Mexico.

Doc

I really appreciate all the helpful tips!

I would recommend bringing a snorkel - that way you know it's sanitized, not all of the shore excursions will provide you with new ones in plastic packaging - just safer that way!

I really appreciate all the helpful tips!

I would recommend bringing a snorkel - that way you know it's sanitized, not all of the shore excursions will provide you with new ones in plastic packaging - just safer that way!

Well, I'm not sure how sanitized my snorkel is but at least it's mine!:eek: My Snorkel is a "dry snorkel" I could never get used to the regular kind.

TWO over the door shoe hangers - one for toiletries and one for :eek: shoes:eek: . Suction cup hooks we got at the $ store 4/$1. The suction cup hooks attach to any smooth surface. We hung the shoe hanger from one on our DCL cruise since we wanted it in a different place than behind the bathroom door and hung lanyards, hats, etc from the others.

Archived