Small question

filbo132

Right now I'm doing my plan A (plan where everything goes plan) , plan B (where everything goes as plan, but with minor unexpected changes) and plan C (where everything goes wrong) as I will be going solo, so I have to plan every possible scenario as I won't have a partner to back me up. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going thinking something will happen, however nothing stops from going to another country well prepared.

Now my question is: if I somehow lose or get my passport stolen for whatever reason, will NCL still let me in their ship with a copy of my passport or am I screwed? I've always wondered about that.

Not sure if you are talking initial embarkation or at some port along the way.

Along the way, NCL does not check your passport to let you back on board.

NCL will want to see your passport or card at the initial check in.

You will need your passport to re-enter the U.S. when you return.

There was a post awhile pack from someone who was almost designed boarding because her passport was stolen in Barcelona. Thankfully, she was able to go to the US Consulate and get a replacement, but I don't think you can count on that. You won't be let on the ship without one. NCL collected our passports last year for our Adriatic cruise, but otherwise, keep it in your safe after boarding and carry a copy ashore. I always secure mine in a neck pouch that I wear around my neck, under my shirt, tucking the cord beneath my collar so it's not visible. They are easily available from a travel company like Magellans, and inexpensive. Also, there are purses available that are designed to help protect against theft, PacSafe is one of the biggest companies. We saw a couple denied boarding by NCL in Miami on one of our cruises because they didn't have the necessary documentation --- it was not a pretty sight.

You are still better off to have a copy of your passport than to have nothing. As others have noted--yes, you would be in trouble and it would be challenging. But seriously--people lose passports every day. We have embassies and processes to assist. It can be costly and it can be inconvenient--but it CAN be handled. My family has traveled extensively abroad. It is a terrible experience but it is not an emergency (in most situations). It is good forewarning--be very careful with your passport--but don't totally stress yourself to the point where you cannot enjoy the cruise.

Have a great cruise--and great for you for venturing out alone.

In almost all cases, you only need your passport during your INITIAL boarding and checkin. After that, you do not need your passport, but will normally (not always) need an ID along with ships ID (your room card).

p.s. - To the Original Poster - it helps everyone out if you actually ask the question in the TITLE.

In almost all cases, you only need your passport during your INITIAL boarding and checkin. After that, you do not need your passport, but will normally (not always) need an ID along with ships ID (your room card).

p.s. - To the Original Poster - it helps everyone out if you actually ask the question in the TITLE.

When did it become unnecessary to have your Passport upon attempted re-entry to US (especially now that Bin Laden is dead and Security levels will inevitably rise to more than patdowns)?

Archived