need help on excursions

4wheeltravel

Hi -we are taking our 2 children on our 1st Alaska cruise in June. Kids are 9 & 13. Husband has given be a budget of $2700 to spend on excursions but this doesn't go very far when everything is x4. I would love to do the helicopter/dog slead in either Juneau or Skagway (will run me $1800-$2K) - is one better than the other? I also would like whale watching in Juneau - can't do both b/c of ship schedule and $.

We are also going to Ketchikan. Does anyone have any recommendations to help me make the most of our trip?

IMHO if I had to choose I'd do the helicopter in Sakgway and with the remaining freetime explore the town.

In Juneau there is a lot to do that doesn't take too much money. Mt Roberts Tramway, shuttle and hike at Mendenhall. If you can spare another 100/person you can see about a whale watching trip.

Bang for buck the whale trip is / was highest on my list. Yes helicopter / dog sledding is very very pricey. It was enjoyable but also BE PREPARED for cancelation so don't get dissapointed if it gets downgraded to a helicopter flightseening/landing or not at all.

Good luck!

With your budget, you could book the glacier dog sledding out of Skagway and whale watching out of Juneau. In Ketchikan, take the city bus to Totem Bight, print out the totem guide and take it with your.

Be WELL prepared for the cancelation of the glaicer dog sledding, and have back up plans, know what else may occupy your time, and have phone numbers ready to make last minute inquires. Also be prepared to know, if you would do a regular glacier landing, if offered.

I haven't done the dog sled trip, so I cannot speak to that, though the kids may love it.

I don't know your ship's exact schedule, so only you know what your timing is like. Since I do all of my tours privately, I was able to put together a whale watch as soon as the ship pulled in, followed by a 1-hour glacier trek. I worked with Harv and Marv for the whale watch at 8:30 A.M. and Northstar Trekking for the glacier trek which we did at 1:30 (but had to be picked up around 1). It all fit perfectly, and everyone knew we were putting the whole think together and worked with us on the timing. Again, I don't know what time you have exactly.

As for the cost, you are still within the limits and you still have $700 left more or less. That is using last year's pricing admittedly, and frankly I don't remember if there was a lower age limit for the glacier trek. The whale watch was around $140 pp, and the 1-hour trek was around $365 pp. With the money left, you can still do some tours in Skagway or Ketchikan, and that's presuming you squeezed both in in Juneau.

You know your timing better than I, and I know sometimes Celebrity doesn't stop as long as some of the other lines. But look into doing things on your own to see if you can do what you want to do.

Just my two cents.

Archived