Booking With US Sites & US TA's

We have recently got quotes from a UK agent for Royal Carribean sailings from the UK and the savings are huge.

I recently emailed this agent and again asked this question.

He checked with their Royal Carribbean Account Manager who said there is no restriction on them selling to us.

He also said that he was told "The only problem occurs when an agent from overseas tries to advertise (in newspapers or magazines) to an overseas market which is prohibited.". Whatever that means!

Regardless, I beleive if you can buy from an overeas TA, go for it. Let's see them trying to kick you off later, they wouldn't dare. A load of rubbish I think.

I personally will still try and the agent I have selected is keen to book us so we are going to go for it!

Godd luck all:)

We have recently got quotes from a UK agent for Royal Carribean sailings from the UK and the savings are huge.

He checked with their Royal Carribbean Account Manager who said there is no restriction on them selling to us.

He also said that he was told "The only problem occurs when an agent from overseas tries to advertise (in newspapers or magazines) to an overseas market which is prohibited.". Whatever that means!

Regardless, I beleive if you can buy from an overeas TA, go for it. Let's see them trying to kick you off later, they wouldn't dare. A load of rubbish I think.

I personally will still try and the agent I have selected is keen to book us so we are going to go for it!

Well done, go for it.

Well done, go for it. Would love to know if they will book Princess as well.....:confused:

Hi everyone

I'm very late to this board and have skimmed through some of the comments but like you, I too am cheesed off to say the least about prices only being available to certain cruisers or regions.

My view is if you can buy a cheaper cruise O/S and you've done your research and you're satisfied with the arrangements, then go for it.

If you are concerned about possibly losing $$ - and who isn't - contact various TAs here in Australia and ask if they can match the price - some of the cruises attract considerable commissions which they get for making phone calls / follow up etc. They don't even put a package together nowadays as cruise lines, eg Princess, send boarding passes and what you need to know by email !!

Billy and Charlie's Mum, if you know a TA in the States who is travelling on a cruise that you would like to do, my understanding is that probably won't have any problems boarding the ship if you book and pay their price in US $$ and travel with the TA.

"Billy and Charlie's Mum, if you know a TA in the States who is travelling on a cruise that you would like to do, my understanding is that probably won't have any problems boarding the ship if you book and pay their price in US $$ and travel with the TA."

I dont understand the "travel with the T/A" if you book with an o'seas t/a and they handle your booking there is no problem. Some will discourage you and some will ask for a USA address...there is nothing illegal about booking o'seas...it is the cruise lines themselves...we have had no explanation from them about why..other than some indication that it is related to currency rates....I dont see that should be the issue. We understand currency rates fluctuate if we book in USD then obviously we have to pay in the eviqualent AUD .

Many of us feel that we should be entitled to take our business wherever we get the best deal...I will happily and have done support Aussie t/a's but money is money and I dont see why I have to pay more, much much more when I can book any other type of travel over the net at the best price I can find.

Also the US booking conditions are much more flexible...I see change coming but unless the Australian cruise customers keep asking for better prices and conditions they will be a long time coming. Give our T/a access to decent prices and booking conditions and we will support them rather than being forced to take our business elsewhere.

"Billy and Charlie's Mum, if you know a TA in the States who is travelling on a cruise that you would like to do, my understanding is that probably won't have any problems boarding the ship if you book and pay their price in US $$ and travel with the TA."

I dont understand the "travel with the T/A" if you book with an o'seas t/a and they handle your booking there is no problem. Some will discourage you and some will ask for a USA address...there is nothing illegal about booking o'seas...it is the cruise lines themselves...we have had no explanation from them about why..other than some indication that it is related to currency rates....I dont see that should be the issue. We understand currency rates fluctuate if we book in USD then obviously we have to pay in the eviqualent AUD .

Many of us feel that we should be entitled to take our business wherever we get the best deal...I will happily and have done support Aussie t/a's but money is money and I dont see why I have to pay more, much much more when I can book any other type of travel over the net at the best price I can find.

Also the US booking conditions are much more flexible...I see change coming but unless the Australian cruise customers keep asking for better prices and conditions they will be a long time coming. Give our T/a access to decent prices and booking conditions and we will support them rather than being forced to take our business elsewhere.

Let me clarify this - I dont understand the "travel with the T/A" if you book with an o'seas t/a and they handle your booking there is no problem.

We've booked a cruise to Sth America for 2011 with a friend of ours who is a T/A in the States. The cruise is with one of the lines that won't sell to non-US / Canadian citizens. They originally refused to take our booking through our T/A friend but relented and accepted our booking and honoured our Future Cruise Letter "only because we were travelling with the Travel Agent who booked the cruise". If the TA had not been taking the same cruise, we would not have been sold a cabin which BTW was not available for sale in Australia at that time. Does that make sense now??? Sorry for any confusion...

I absolutely agree with your sentiments about our right to choose where we spend our kid's inheritance not to mention getting the best deal. It's really a "no brainer" when a balcony cabin for an 18 night cruise costs $US 3,000 compared to around $AUD 5K.

And I also agree with supporting local businesses but when the price differential is so great, its hard to ignore.

Someone on this board asked about commissions - I was once told by someone who worked for Carnival Australia that the commissions on each cruise vary, but some are definitiely in the four figures. That's why some Aussie TAs advertise a cheaper passage as they forego some of their commissions - however they sometimes try to claw back some of their "lost" revenue through admin fees etc - just have to read the fine print which seems to be common through this thread.

We understand currency rates fluctuate if we book in USD then obviously we have to pay in the eviqualent AUD [/font].

Let me clarify this - I dont understand the "travel with the T/A" if you book with an o'seas t/a and they handle your booking there is no problem.

We've booked a cruise to Sth America for 2011 with a friend of ours who is a T/A in the States. The cruise is with one of the lines that won't sell to non-US / Canadian citizens. They originally refused to take our booking through our T/A friend but relented and accepted our booking and honoured our Future Cruise Letter "only because we were travelling with the Travel Agent who booked the cruise". If the TA had not been taking the same cruise, we would not have been sold a cabin which BTW was not available for sale in Australia at that time. Does that make sense now??? Sorry for any confusion...

I absolutely agree with your sentiments about our right to choose where we spend our kid's inheritance not to mention getting the best deal. It's really a "no brainer" when a balcony cabin for an 18 night cruise costs $US 3,000 compared to around $AUD 5K.

And I also agree with supporting local businesses but when the price differential is so great, its hard to ignore.

Someone on this board asked about commissions - I was once told by someone who worked for Carnival Australia that the commissions on each cruise vary, but some are definitiely in the four figures. That's why some Aussie TAs advertise a cheaper passage as they forego some of their commissions - however they sometimes try to claw back some of their "lost" revenue through admin fees etc - just have to read the fine print which seems to be common through this thread.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but I'm no longer prepared to look at any cruises advertised in Australia at the "inside cabin" rate, or the "4 in a cabin" rate, on old ships.

The cruise industry is trying to stop Australians buying affordable "balcony cabins" etc. at prices readily available in the US.

Dougo in Oz - Better booking conditions and better prices - As you said, it is a no brainer!

Thanks for your response re TA commission rates paid in Australia.

If we don't have enough pain already with the costs we pay compared to our US cousins. Friends of mine were booked on the Pacific Dawn world cruise - 3 Sectors of the cruise departing Sydney in May 2010 and disembarking at NYC.

They always book the cheapest inside cabin midships (but ALWAYS get upgraded) ever since "she" had an incident when "she" stepped out of the bathroom fresh from a shower just as "he" opened the blinds to some astounded workmen working away just outside their cabin window...anyway I digress

So how much did 3 sectors of the world cruise cost them for an inside cabin - $US 15K or thereabouts for the two of them - not bad huh?

I

They always book the cheapest inside cabin midships (but ALWAYS get upgraded) ever since "she" had an incident when "she" stepped out of the bathroom fresh from a shower just as "he" opened the blinds to some astounded workmen working away just outside their cabin window...anyway I digress

Bit of a shocking way to ensure an upgrade. :D;)

Dougo I hope you are booked on the same Sth American cruise that a large group of cruise critics have already booked...Mar 2011? If so you are going to have a fantastic time with a great bunch of people. Check out the roll call for the Star Princess 3 Mar 2011 sailing. I am so jealous I so want to join them...lotto come on!

Back to the topic...I don't see how the current "restriction of trade" can continue...keep up the noise about how unfair these restrictions are...but try as they might it will not prevent us dedicated cruisers managing to get on board at the right price so we can cruise more often.

We want more competitive prices, we understand that the US is a bigger market but our local prices are ridiculous.

Flexible booking, name changes without penalty (or small penalty), smaller deposits (some indications that this is starting to happen), to be able to switch to another cruise if we need to without losing deposit, price drops honoured (in the US if the price drops and you notify your T/a the new price will be honoured). Also honouring of FCC letters irrespective, it shouldn't matter if it was issued on a US Princess ship or an Aussie Princess ship.

I would also like to see a loyalty program along the same lines as the airlines do....Carnival owns more than P and O and Princess why cant we also get credits for sailings on Cunard, Carnival etc? Airlines can have alliances where you still get credit for flights on associated airlines...Carnival is one big cruise family...why not credits for all the ships?

As to credit card free travel insurance you can ring the Insurance company direct to ask them all sorts of questions and they are only to happy to help.Not many Insurance Co will cover insolvency of any T/A, cruise Co or airline for that matter.

As to not being able to book through a US T/A has anybody been refused to be let on a cruise yet. Actually got to the cruise line counter and been refused to passage because you have actually used a US T/A and not an Aust T/A. Surely if the US T/A (a good one) says its ok to book you whats the problem.

I went on line to the HAL internet site and looked up for one of their US T/A and contacted the agency to be told it was OK to book Australian through her. This is a recommended agent by HAL and my sister lives in the US and uses her all the time. It asked for a zip code I gave my sisters.And another large very prominent T/A on the internet had no problems and have booked previous Australian as well

I would really love to hear once and for all about this thread as I too hate being ripped off and we shouldnt be. Iam so confused now as we travel alot and book everything ourselves online for all over the world using all online T/A.

I hope someone can help

Pauline

Just to put my two bobs worth in.

We got told the same from an Aussie TA regarding a cruise we wanted to book cruising around the UK with Princess.

Long story short. Booked through a TA in the UK and saved heaps.

No problems as last two Aussie TA'S were also internet booked.

Got informed that lots of Aussies book cruises with this TA as they are lots cheaper.

Unfortunatly we couldn't book our flights through them.

The airline Co's really have got it sown up for local TA'S.

Sandielle, I think "he" has learnt his lesson now but "she"s still won't have a bar of buying an outside cabin !! lol

Rugbypopsie, no we're not on the March cruise, we're on the first one in January I think. We're really looking forward to it as we've wanted to do this cruise for ages but could never make up our minds about the big ship and scenic cruising vs small ship and stepping foot on Antarctica. Well when our friend booked and she found after a bit of a toussle that she could book us, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Would any one mind sharing which TA they used in the UK...or give us a clue please because I have no idea whatsoever.

I can tell you that I booked a cruise today at what I think is a good rate - the old Pacific Sun - 20 nights to Tahiti out of Auckland and back departing on 3rd May '10. Outside twin share cabins started from around $1,700 I think. Our TA said that the list price for an inside cabin was more than $4K originally. I've always wanted to say "Tahiti looks nice, dear" -lol.

Just to put my two bobs worth in.

We got told the same from an Aussie TA regarding a cruise we wanted to book cruising around the UK with Princess.

Long story short. Booked through a TA in the UK and saved heaps.

No problems as last two Aussie TA'S were also internet booked.

Got informed that lots of Aussies book cruises with this TA as they are lots cheaper.

Unfortunatly we couldn't book our flights through them.

The airline Co's really have got it sown up for local TA'S.

How does the exchange rate work with the UK Pound?

Sandielle, I think "he" has learnt his lesson now but "she"s still won't have a bar of buying an outside cabin !! lol

Rugbypopsie, no we're not on the March cruise, we're on the first one in January I think. We're really looking forward to it as we've wanted to do this cruise for ages but could never make up our minds about the big ship and scenic cruising vs small ship and stepping foot on Antarctica. Well when our friend booked and she found after a bit of a toussle that she could book us, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Would any one mind sharing which TA they used in the UK...or give us a clue please because I have no idea whatsoever.

I can tell you that I booked a cruise today at what I think is a good rate - the old Pacific Sun - 20 nights to Tahiti out of Auckland and back departing on 3rd May '10. Outside twin share cabins started from around $1,700 I think. Our TA said that the list price for an inside cabin was more than $4K originally. I've always wanted to say "Tahiti looks nice, dear" -lol.

That's a good price for the Tahiti trip! I think anytime I can cruise for $100 AUD a day or less is a good price. And Tahiti and the islands are lovely.

Cant give you any clues for the T/A here I would be sent to cyberspace otherwise known as the "naughty chair". lol

Best advice is to hook up with other cruise critics...generally everyone is happy to pass on information that they find helpful. :)

Yesterday we booked directly with NCL for cruise in August. $400pp deposit fully refundable until final payment date of mid June. better sitting against our mortgage than in some cruise company's or travel agent's account.

Last night we see that one of the big US online agencies has the cruise on offer cheaper than we've 'paid'. I emailed them prior to us booking with NCL (and before they had the lower rates) to ask if Aussies were still 'permitted' to book NCL with them and they confrmed that NCL allowed non-US residents to book through them.

So now we've asked for confirmation of the rate on their website and if they confirm we'll cancel our NCL booking and go with them. On top of the fact we saved over well $1000 by booking direct wth NCL v booking with and Oz agent, now we could potentially save another US$800.

BOO every wholesaler of every cruise line in Oz. Do you really think we're that stupid? Give me a price that I know is the equivalent that I could get o/s and I'll book, otherwise my dollars are straight offshore until you stop all of them. Then I'm off to my local MP and whoever else will listen and scream anti-competitive as loud as I can.

Good on you Newfarmers. I noticed this morning that there have been over 6,000 "views" of this thread - I wonder how many "views" were by TAs or cruise lines just lurking around ? Like you, I prefer to shop locally if I can but not when the difference in price is essentially the cost of another cruise.:confused:

yep, we would too but I'm not here as the benefactor of the oz travel industry.

re the tahiti cruise - might be a rude question, but what did you pay? I'm interested as my mum and dad have booked this cruise and I think paid not far off $4000 each for an outside. an E gtd maybe but I'd have to check. they've started advertising it with free air as well. they called their ta when they saw this in the paper and she new nothing of the offer.

typical p&o, treating their customers like mugs

pete

Good on you Newfarmers. I noticed this morning that there have been over 6,000 "views" of this thread - I wonder how many "views" were by TAs or cruise lines just lurking around ? Like you, I prefer to shop locally if I can but not when the difference in price is essentially the cost of another cruise.:confused:

I do indeed think that the cruise lines and TA's lurk and check out what is happening. It would be mad for them not to.

I too would like to support our local TA's (even though they do nothing really to earn the money in the first place) but I am not in the habit of throwing money away because some business needs propping up. :mad:

If you are reading this Princess Australia ~ I love the Princess Line BUT if you don't do something about the Australian prices, I will defect to a line that allows you the freedom of choice regarding booking and how much you pay.

If you think I am only one person ~so what, think again. In Australia word spreads like wildfire. You will be surprised at how much opposition you will start to get when people start finding out how we are being ripped off. Us Aussies don't like getting ripped off. Be warned. :mad::mad:

Hi LuckiePuris

After reading all the posts regarding your observations about the possiblity of being denied boarding if booking and paying for a cruise from an American TA, I am one of five of a group doing the "Fijian Jewels" cruise on Dawn Princess leaving Sydney on 1/10/10.

We have paid our deposit and were about to pay our full balances for the cruise when I read your post and all the replies it generated. I contacted my American TA (everything is being done on line) and asked her if she had heard of the stories about Australian citizens booking on line with American TAs direct and possibly being denied boarding because we did not book our cruise through an Australian TA. She replied that she had heard these "stories" and that they had been circulating now for about 2 years. She had not heard of any of her Australian customers being denied boarding because they had not booked with an Australian TA. The only reasons she could think of for boarding being denied were Visa or passport irregularities, undisclosed criminal records or something serious like that. She checked with her area supervisor before answering my query and also found out that her TA (which is a well known internet TA promoted by Cruise Critic) has not been contacted by Princess or any other Cruise line instructing American TAs not to accept bookings from Australian Citizens.

This information tends to confirm that this is "scaremongering" by persons or organisations unknown but with an educated guess probably could be identified.

Hope this information is of some comfort and assistance to your self and any other interested readers. Our five are still going ahead and paying the full fares.

Johndon

Thanks for that info Johndon

I contacted the online US TA that I have used before and they were unable to sell me any tickets on Rhapsody (RCCL) . They still send me the discounts etc and I wrote and suggested that it's not much use emailing me I I can't purchase here in Oz. They replied that they would let me know if the situation changes

Di

Hi everyone

I'm very late to this board and have skimmed through some of the comments but like you, I too am cheesed off to say the least about prices only being available to certain cruisers or regions.

My view is if you can buy a cheaper cruise O/S and you've done your research and you're satisfied with the arrangements, then go for it.

If you are concerned about possibly losing $$ - and who isn't - contact various TAs here in Australia and ask if they can match the price - some of the cruises attract considerable commissions which they get for making phone calls / follow up etc. They don't even put a package together nowadays as cruise lines, eg Princess, send boarding passes and what you need to know by email !!

Billy and Charlie's Mum, if you know a TA in the States who is travelling on a cruise that you would like to do, my understanding is that probably won't have any problems boarding the ship if you book and pay their price in US $$ and travel with the TA.

Actually the travel agents do very little. You do your own embarkation details on line, and then with the cruise we were on the Volendam we had to print our own tickets and luggage tags. They say it saves the environment, what a load of rubbish, it still has to be printed.

Sounds like Australian agents are too greedy with their commissions, wouldn't it make sense if they charged less and booked more passengers.

re the tahiti cruise - might be a rude question, but what did you pay? I'm interested as my mum and dad have booked this cruise and I think paid not far off $4000 each for an outside. an E gtd maybe but I'd have to check. they've started advertising it with free air as well. they called their ta when they saw this in the paper and she new nothing of the offer.

typical p&o, treating their customers like mugs

pete

Pete

not a rude question at all and I don't mind sharing. I subscribe to an on-line e company that sells cruises - which is based in Sydney and it seems to me that it specialises in selling all inclusive packages, ie, air, pre / post accom, sometimes transfers with the cabin. This is what they advertised through their email which arrived on Thurs night this week -

"Just in is a great fly/cruise and stay package on Pacific Sun going to Tahiti. The 22 night package starts from an amazing $1399.00 quad share! That includes return airfares to Auckland, one night at the Stamford Plaza Auckland and 21 nights on Pacific Sun visiting Nuku'Alofa, Vava'U, Rarotonga, Moorea, Bora Bora, Apia, Niuafo'ou, Suva, Port Denarau, Dravuni Island, and overnights in Papeete! Twin share is only $2149.00 still great value"

My agent rang P&O and they had a flight /cabin price but not accom. We declined the air package and ended up buying an outside cabin Cat D, Deck 7 for about $1,900 (Cat F outside cabin on Deck 5 was under $1,800). With air P&O's prices were roughly $2650 and $2,500 respectively). We used our FF points and just paid for taxes for the fare over there. BTW Air NZ had an excellent price of $156 ?? +taxes SYD-AUK.

I do indeed think that the cruise lines and TA's lurk and check out what is happening. It would be mad for them not to.

I too would like to support our local TA's (even though they do nothing really to earn the money in the first place) but I am not in the habit of throwing money away because some business needs propping up. :mad:

If you are reading this Princess Australia ~ I love the Princess Line BUT if you don't do something about the Australian prices' date=' I will defect to a line that allows you the freedom of choice regarding booking and how much you pay.

If you think I am only one person ~so what, think again. In Australia word spreads like wildfire. You will be surprised at how much opposition you will start to get when people start finding out how we are being ripped off. Us Aussies don't like getting ripped off. Be warned. :mad::mad:[/quote']

I agree completely. We plan to only use Cruise Lines that do not put restrictions on Australians. We are presently looking at a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise around Hawaii. Guess what! NCL do not put any restrictions on Australians using O/S travel agents!

We had an interesting experience this week. We saw a large (full page) advert in Sunday paper re certain AUS on line agent advertising cruise/fly packages. Hubby rang them to make some enquiries re our cruise that we are still planning. They stated that they would not send quote by email under any circumstances. They said they would phone back with prices etc. 5 days later - still no phone call! Makes you wonder.:confused:

Hi Everyone,

We have previously booked a couple of cruises with a very well known US online agency and just the other day inquired about booking a new cruise for DD and friend. Our usual agent informed us “The travel agencies on your side of the globe have been placing pressure on the cruise lines for allowing ……………to book internationals at a lower cost. At the moment we're only able to book internationals if they have a U.S. residence/family address.”

We have booked our latest cruise with an Australian TA at a good price for a suite, (Suites are very rarely discounted) but when we decided to take DD and friend in a balcony cabin we checked with the same Australian TA for pricing and then decided to check for a better price online, we found a UK agency with a nearly $4K difference for two people. We were informed that there is no restriction booking with a UK agency, at the moment, so obviously we went with the UK agent although we would like to support the Aussie TAs but at that price difference it can not be justified.

Come on Princess Australia give us all fair pricing and support the local cruise community.

Happy Cruising

Chris

Archived