Booking With US Sites & US TA's

I read somewhere way back on this thread that one could get into the Princess site in the U.S. and find the prices in U.S. dollars. Whenever I go to Princess U.S. site the prices are always in Australian dollars.

Does anyone know how to work the computer so that Princess computer thinks we are from the U.S. and not Australia as it is very hard to compare what saving the U.S. are getting over us when it is all in Aussie dollars.

Jennie

Correct me if I am wrong but you need to clear your internet browsing history. Go to your control panel, then click on Network and Internet, click on internet options, then click on delete browsing history and cookies, and then click delete. This will also delete all your preset passwords. Good luck!

Australian Family,

That sounds so easy to do but when I go into my Control Panel, I have a choice of either Network Connections or Internet Options. When I open Internet Options, I cannot find my browsing history. I using XP Windows if that is any help.

Jennie

Australian Family,

That sounds so easy to do but when I go into my Control Panel, I have a choice of either Network Connections or Internet Options. When I open Internet Options, I cannot find my browsing history. I using XP Windows if that is any help.

Jennie

hi Jennie

with an internet explorer session open, there's a tool bar along the top for IE 6 and 7 - file, edit, view etc - . I've got IE8 so the menu is over the right side. select Tools and a 'drop down' will appear. then select 'internet options' - should be at the bottom of the drop down. the general tab should open and you should select 'delete' from browsing history (right in the middle). another window will open and then on our laptop I have all boxes ticked and you just hit 'delete' at the bottom and you're done.

see how you go.

pete

I email HAL yesterday and asked them why I could not book a cruise through a US agent and why we, as Australians, had to pay more for our cruises. Below is their response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Our international guests have the option to book with us directly online at www.hollandamerica.com. On the home page you can utilize the Cruise Finder and search for your desired sailing. The system will walk you through the booking process.

Or, you can utilize a travel professional. Holland America Line has International General Sales Agencies throughout the world. To find your nearest Sales Agency please log onto www.hollandamerica.com. On the home page at the top of the page click Contact Us. Once the Call Us tab opens, on the left hand side click International Sales. Scroll down the list until you find your country of residence.

Holland America Line encourages you to book under your own currency which allows you access to the benefits associated with your local consumer protection laws. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future. We are confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations.

Kind Regards,

Laurie C.

Holland America Line

I don't know if clearing your internet history will do the job for you. It all depends on how Princess decides what currency to display. It is entirely possible that Princess bases the decision on where your computer is located, i.e. it uses internet routing information that is not stored on your computer. If this is the case deleting your browser history will do no good.

The alternative is that when you first visited the Princess site it asked you where you were located and then created and stored a "cookie" on your computer that stored this answer. If this is the case then clearing your browser's cookies should do what you want - and a lot that you don't want.

WARNING: when you delete your browsers history you will likely loose a lot of convenience and you may loose access to some sites. All of your automatic sign-ins will no longer happen so you will have to explicitly log into cc and other sites again. If you do online banking and have multiple accounts it is possible that your browser will not remember the accounts and you will have to re-enter this information. Auto complete information may disappear, i.e. when you type part of a web address in the address bar and a list of possible matches appears, or when you are filling in a form field. Exactly what you loose depends on exactly what you delete.

I would suggest that you confirm that removing browser history will do what you want before doing so.

Clearing browser history depends on the browser you are using - the program you are using to read this post.

If you are using Windows Internet Explorere 8 click on the Safety menu button and then on the Delete Browsing History. This will bring up a window that lets you select what you would like removed. Once you've made your selections click on the Delete button.

For older Windows Internet Explorer versions, in the browser click on Tools | Internet Options. This will bring up a tabbed window typically with the General tab selected. Roughly in the center of the General tab you will see a Browsing history section. Click on Delete, select what you want to delete on the window that pops up and click Delete.

If you use Mozilla Firefox, in the browser click on Tools | Clear Recent History. This will bring up a window on which you may select a time to clear. The time will likely be "Everything". It will have to be before you first visited the Princess site. If you want to control exactly what is deleted click on the down arrow head button to the left of Details. Click the Clear Now button when you are ready to perform the deletion.

Princess (and other affiliated lines) do use the location to set your preference; it's not something you can control so deleting browsing history will just inconvenience you elsewhere.

Probably the easiest way to get an idea (although it will most likely be different from the official Princess US price) is to check the price on an American TA. That way it will be in USD.

Pete

sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, but it's definitely 22nd Feb that we have to pay for the cruise AUK - Tahiti dep 3 May '10.

not sure why they did but mum and dad paid in full last tuesday when their agent offered them the lower price. think she might have told them they had to. sad if that's the case. maybe they just thought it's only two weeks early. even sadder was my waitlist cabin coming up on thursday so could have saved them anther $600. they're happy with the huge amount they've saved but would have been nice to get them up a deck into a D

their/your roll call is a bit slow. I'd like to get them on some private stuff in some of the ports. most of the p&o tours are snorkelling/swimming etc and at 78 and 86 they don't appear to be too keen:rolleyes:. at least they can just catch the local bus in Raro and head around to Muri for the day.

pete

Want to say a big thanks to our U.S TA, who shall remain nameless, who once again has delivered exceptional service...we were booked on Navigator of the Seas for Oct this year got a fantastic price was really happy UNTIL, searching the deals as you do, i found a much better deal which leaves two days later on a different ship is half the price plus we get a nice OBC...what to do....:D never one to be backward at coming forward i emailed our TA and voila..........new booking........full deposit return... no cancellation fee's no you can't do that coz you live in outerspace.....just a cheery email thanking me...:D:D:D:D:D we're happy..........cheers Shiona

Hi Shiona thats exactly the point isn't it, no cancellation fees! Just another blessing we miss out on when we book in Aus.:(

I think P&O were the first to bring that in.

When we first started cruising with them,

there was only the usual percentage loss of the deposit

if you cancelled close to the cruise.

When Carnival came onto the scene it all changed

and I think we down here are being used as guinea pigs

so that they can see what they can get away with,

not only with fees but also for the"extras" ,

they can charge on board.

Just returned from a 14 day New Zealand cruise. Our American tablemates paid $1700 AUD each for their balcony cabin across the aisle from our inside cabin. We paid $2180 each and this was after Princess dropped the fare by $220 each, 3 weeks after we made the initial booking.

David one of the major problems here in Australia is the travel agent charging scandalous cancellation fees in their own made up Terms and Conditions

...for instance:

Rhapsody of the Sea's cruise Oct 2010 ..agency is promoting a so called must book by Feb 7th super special deal............look closely and you will see " A non-refundable deposit is payable at the time of booking" since when...with RCCL....

When you do a dummy booking online with RCCL it's only about $50.00 dearer and you WILL get your deposit back within the timeline of course :confused:

and then we have this:

XXXX XXXXXXX also reserves the right to charge cancellation fees of a minimum of AUD $300 per person to cover administration expenses. The cancellation fee can be as high as the entire purchase price (100%) of the booking. The cancellation fee charged by XXXX XXXXXX can increase in relation to the manpower and time spent on actually processing the cancellation.

Thats just one business....and they wonder why we look oversea's...:mad:

I might be wrong but i was doing some research for a friend who is looking at a Carnival cruise and i noticed they have super special prices which have non-refundable deposits and they also offer other price structures which i assume have refundable deposits...now that is what we need here...cheers Shiona

ps: when i worked in the industry in the good old days it took ages to compile all the info needed for a client it also took almost half a day to write up an international flight ticket nowadays everything is on the internet... booking engines etc .....so how do they justify the charges......

Joll, If it was my experience I would be writing to Princess with these details and asking for an explanation as to why we are treated so differently here. It mightn't do me any good but would make me feel a lot better. :D We should all get up a petition.

Just returned from a 14 day New Zealand cruise. Our American tablemates paid $1700 AUD each for their balcony cabin across the aisle from our inside cabin. We paid $2180 each and this was after Princess dropped the fare by $220 each, 3 weeks after we made the initial booking.

This scandalous! This is why it is important to book on US sites and if Princess won't allow you, use another cruise line and write and let them know your feelings.

I might be wrong but i was doing some research for a friend who is looking at a Carnival cruise and i noticed they have super special prices which have non-refundable deposits and they also offer other price structures which i assume have refundable deposits...now that is what we need here...cheers Shiona

ps: when i worked in the industry in the good old days it took ages to compile all the info needed for a client it also took almost half a day to write up an international flight ticket nowadays everything is on the internet... booking engines etc .....so how do they justify the charges......

Hi Shiona,

I fully understand and agree, if you get a bargain deal, thats it, deposit non refundable.

Also appreciate your comments on writing up a booking, but thats all changing, as you say with the net.

Our local TA's will have to get into the loop,

or go the way of the dinasours.

One way to get the message across is to go and see the future cruise rep on board and let them know just how unfair the cruise line is to Australians and what we think about it....nicely of course.:)

I have tried that and all she said was "I agree its not fair but thats just the way it is"

not sure why they did but mum and dad paid in full last tuesday when their agent offered them the lower price. think she might have told them they had to. sad if that's the case. maybe they just thought it's only two weeks early. even sadder was my waitlist cabin coming up on thursday so could have saved them anther $600. they're happy with the huge amount they've saved but would have been nice to get them up a deck into a D

their/your roll call is a bit slow. I'd like to get them on some private stuff in some of the ports. most of the p&o tours are snorkelling/swimming etc and at 78 and 86 they don't appear to be too keen:rolleyes:. at least they can just catch the local bus in Raro and head around to Muri for the day.

pete

Hmmm... like you I'm not sure why they had to pay early - this is the TA who wouldn't refund the original deposit isn't it??? The cynical side of me would want me to contact P&O to verify the info about refunds / payment dates etc and ask to speak to the call centre manager if the P&O call centre staff will not verify costs / refunds etc due to "privacy" reasons.

We had an "experience" once with a travel agent who advertises in a "seniors" magazine - she booked us with the our names mixed up but because of the formatting of her email confirmations, we couldn't tell that she did not write down the correct info. We had to pick up the tab from P&O for changing our names - she said it was my fault !! Various other things happened which I knew were wrong, so I spoke to the P&O Call Centre and then requested that I speak to the CC manager who rang me back and then things happened correctly...but no thanks to our so called experienced TA which was the first and last time we used them only because of the discount offered to "seniors". But the thing that made me really mad was that they sent me emails with Tax Invoices stating that $$ had been debited to my CC - but I found out later that it wasn't true. I kept checking the CC and I thought that because of the cut off date for purchases before being asked to pay the CC, that my payment must have just missed out. Tickets were issued, final tax invoice issued stating "paid in full", all documents sent and recieved, then a week or so later, the TA debited our CC $700 without telling me !! Said she forgot to take the payment some weeks earlier - no phone call, no apology, and certainly no approval from us on the day she actually debited the card - nothing !! We really wondered how this TA treated more senior people who may back down or be too intimidated by this TA to take action. Without a doubt, this TA had the worst communication skills of all the TAs I've ever dealt with.

One way to get the message across is to go and see the future cruise rep on board and let them know just how unfair the cruise line is to Australians and what we think about it....nicely of course.:)

I have complained to the Captain's Circle Host about the really dreadful customer service we've experienced from Carnival Australia, and she said that she knows that there are problems here but there's nothing they can do about it.

On our last cruise, we paid some $5-6K (2 people) for an outside obstructed view cabin but it wasn't great - yukky damp / water smell etc so for the first time I complained. The cabin steward said that I couldn't expect much for a "cheap cabin" !!! Hardly cheap !!!

Archived