carrying on soft drinks

I asked this question a while back on a different thread and never really got a good answer. For those of you that have already cruised on the Allure, how picky have the screeners been about people taking on canned or bottled soft drinks? I am not talking about a lot. I don't drink alcohol, and I like to have my caffeine fix handy (in the morning when I get up, in the middle of the night, or right before I go to bed to take medicine). I was thinking maybe a 12-pack for me, a few cans or bottles for my DH, and a few for my DS 7. We also sometimes take water or Capri Sun but not much. We typically sail from Port Canaveral or Tampa, but this is our first time from Fort Lauderdale and on RCCI. BTW, I do buy the soda card too. I am a soda junkie. TIA.

I asked this question a while back on a different thread and never really got a good answer. For those of you that have already cruised on the Allure, how picky have the screeners been about people taking on canned or bottled soft drinks? I am not talking about a lot. I don't drink alcohol, and I like to have my caffeine fix handy (in the morning when I get up, in the middle of the night, or right before I go to bed to take medicine). I was thinking maybe a 12-pack for me, a few cans or bottles for my DH, and a few for my DS 7. We also sometimes take water or Capri Sun but not much. We typically sail from Port Canaveral or Tampa, but this is our first time from Fort Lauderdale and on RCCI. BTW, I do buy the soda card too. I am a soda junkie. TIA.

My experience was on the Oasis last year. I've also read hundreds of posts that confirm that they tolerate water, soda, juice being brought on but absolutely no alcohol.

I had to go to the naughty-room to open the bag we had our water in but once they saw that it was water they brought it to our stateroom. Other people were in their because of the same thing, irons, and even alcohol.

If you search the threads you'll find a lot of people that agree with my experience however, occassionally I'll read about somebody that had a different experience.

I couldn't see paying almost $80 for a case of water on the ship and we prefer the sport-type bottles that we pour crystal light into. Makes it easy to share too and to take off the ship for the day.

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

We have carried on soda every cruise we have ever done on both Carnival and Royal. We devote an entire bag to it and leave it with the porters along with all of our other luggage. Have NEVER had a problem. Just do it.

We have carried on soda every cruise we have ever done on both Carnival and Royal. We devote an entire bag to it and leave it with the porters along with all of our other luggage. Have NEVER had a problem. Just do it.

Might want to read this thread....and it hasn't been the first.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1404179&highlight=soda

Several cruise lines have a policy on bringing drinks on board but then allow them. That is why I am asking. The ports of Tampa and Port Canaveral are not picky about non-alcoholic drinks. Is it better to check the drinks in a bag as luggage or carry them on? At least with Port Canaveral, those carried on make it to the room. Those checked are less likely to make it. From what I have read, it appears to be the opposite though with Fort Lauderdale. We don't go until the beginning of June. I am just trying to plan. I also think that cans may go through more successfully than bottles.

We have always checked a case of water and a 12 pack of soda cans. I just tape them very very well and tape a luggage tag on them. They have been the last thing in our room but we have always received them. That was on Explorer and Freedom. I plan to at least try to do the same on Allure.

Hi. I did it in Dec 2010. No problem. I bought a case of pop (24 cans) and stuck a luggage tag on it. It got to the room after the bags did. Just do not open them for a little bit (due to shaking). Ask them to clear the fridge out and then put your stuff in. No problems. you can pick some more up in port as you go. They will allow you to carry it to your room. Just don't bring a dozen cases.

I don't think that RCI cares if you carry on water or soda as long as it is not a huge amount. I think that they have the printed policy in place to stop those that abuse with bringing on those rolling coolers as though they are going camping for the week.

We were just on the Allure...we brought an 8 pack of diet pepsi plus a few extra twist-offs...we put them in our small carryon suitcase and it went through the scanner no problems. We also brought a few back from St. Maarten with no problems. As long as they are not opened, it seems fine!

I don't think that RCI cares if you carry on water or soda as long as it is not a huge amount. I think that they have the printed policy in place to stop those that abuse with bringing on those rolling coolers as though they are going camping for the week.

Gordon.....yep, there sure are some that just don't understand the difference between a camp ground and a cruise ship:rolleyes:

Returned today from the Allure, checked in 2 12 packs of diet coke taped them together with a luggage tag and 1 case of water, checked in about 1pm all luggage including water and soda waiting outside cabin by about 2:30. Tipped the porters at the dock a few bucks not sure if it made a difference or not.

Thanks everyone. DH has somewhat nixed bringing anything anyway, except for a few waters and a few Capri Suns. He prepurchased the soda card for himself, DS, and me. He said that for what the card costs, he will go at odd times to get my drinks. He doesn't realize that with my 4 can a day habit (minimum...Yes, I know. It isn't very healthly, but it is my only vice.), I will get my money's worth anyway. BTW, I was only thinking a 12 pack of diet pop, and less than 12 total items of Sprite, Coke, and water.:(

How you ever got soda on board..shocked! I had a bottle of water unopened in my carryon and had to throw it out! Coming home from ports you cannot even take a bottle of water or soda on board with you! We had a drink at a bar before boarding in St Thomas and couldn't go thru secrity till be finished it or threw it away. In front of the scanner are tons of bottles of water!

How you ever got soda on board..shocked! I had a bottle of water unopened in my carryon and had to throw it out! Coming home from ports you cannot even take a bottle of water or soda on board with you! We had a drink at a bar before boarding in St Thomas and couldn't go thru secrity till be finished it or threw it away. In front of the scanner are tons of bottles of water!

In St Thomas and St Maarten we took some bottles of water off and brought them back on no problem so long as they were still sealed. Also bought 3 or 4 bottles of orange and pinnapple juice and brought them back on the ship no problem, once again they had to be sealed. Anything opened or the seal broken would not be allowed.

Archived