MAGIC - Our Photo Review of the Inaugural Sailing of the Magic

Hi all. Thanks again for your supportive comments. We are just back with groceries, etc so I have a few minutes to try to keep this going before my wife tracks me down.......:D

We woke up about 7:30 and headed up to the Lido buffet for breakfast. Given it was a sea day today, we took our time with breakfast. We wandered around a little and then decided that since it was a sea day we should hit the gym......and we actually did!!

I tried to by a bottel of water for the gym however all they would sell me was one of the 1.5 litre monster bottles....not too practical carrying around in the gym. There are 10 eliptical machines (cross trainers) and 18 treadmills in the gym. We arrived around 9:30 and were able to get machines right away. I also went into the Men's locker room and it included 16 lockers, 2 showers and a sauna. This locker room is public access so I assume there are other facilities for those with Spa passes.

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

Speaking of the spa, one of the things we had done the day before was a quick tour of the spa. On the Epic we had purchased the weekly pass and used it most days.....it was great to sit in the thalassotherapy pools after a day of touring around. However we felt with such a port intensive cruise as we had that it was not worth it. I did not write down the prices but I beleive the daily spa passes were $35pp and for the entire cruise it was something like $399 couple (don't hold me to these prices but it gives you an idea).

Here are some of the pics from the spa....

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

After we finished our workout in the gym, we went up and walked through Serenity on our way cool down walking the track. I would say that Serenity was the only real spot we had any issues with chair hogs on this cruise (but obviously not early on embarkation day when i took these shots)

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

Hi

Maybe this is a ridiculous question. But if you don't mind answering?Please.

What's the difference between a thalassotherapy pool and a hot tub?

Thank you, I am really enjoying your review!

Hi

Maybe this is a ridiculous question. But if you don't mind answering?Please.

What's the difference between a thalassotherapy pool and a hot tub?

Thank you, I am really enjoying your review!

Hi Realtrip, there is not an awful lot of difference other than it has various jets that can be used to work different muscle groups, etc. In my picture you see jets that come up into the air and curl into the pool that you can use for your neck and shoulders. Also there is the "bed" you can lay on (the circular tubes). The pass also gives you access to various saunas, the hot beds, etc....

What does a Spa Pass get you -- daily or length-of-cruise? Does it entitle you to services?

cruisinskier, I hope you don't mind me posting this as I assume it would be the same on the Magic. We were in a spa cabin and this is which my PVP sent to me after our booking.

A daily pass or the cruise length pass would entitle you to access to the thermal suites and access to theThalassotherapy pool. If by services, you mean massage etc, no it does not.

Carnival Dream Spa Amenities

Note: Only 1st and 2nd guests in the Spa stateroom will receive the access and amenities; 3rd and 4th guests booked in Spa staterooms and suites are not entitled to spa access and amenities.

Amenities and offerings available to all the Spa accommodations include the following;

• Welcome Reception/Ritual
  • Priority spa appointments for reservations made by 6:00pm on Embarkation day (as stated in the Welcome Letter).
  • Unlimited access to Thermal Suites:
    • Laconium
    • Tepidarium
    • Oriental Steam Bath
    • Aroma Steam Bath

[*]Unlimited access to Thalassotherapy Pool:

• Detoxify, unwind and revitalize your body in a pool which is gently heated to body temperature.
    • Ideal for alleviating arthritic pain, soothing sore muscles and offering relief for sport injuries.

[*]Two complimentary fitness classes per person (Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi)

[*]Spa-branded bathrobes and slippers for use during the cruise

[*]Cloud 9 Spa Carnival Products in Stateroom:

• Elemis Carnival Shampoo and Conditioner
    • Elemis Carnival Sharp Shower Gel and Vitamin Rich Body Lotion
    • One hand and one body Elemis Carnival Soap Disk

The Welcome Reception Ritual

An invitation-only reception, guests will be invited to the Relaxation Room, overlooking the spectacular vistas. From there, the guests will be led on small (maximum 8 people, if traveling together) personalized tours of the spa facilities. At the completion of the tour, guests will be given the opportunity to receive priority spa bookings.

Just wanted to say I have just spent a very enjoyable time reading your review and looking at the photos. Great job. Looking forward to more. We are on the last Med. cruise and the TA. Thanks for all your work.

Thank you so much for your review and beautiful pictures. Have to echo Judys entry. We are also on the same two cruises with them in October. Keep up the good work fellow Canadian.

Val.

I have read your review straight through on this dreary New England day and had to wipe the drool off my chin a few times!! I am so hoping that I can *someday* do the Med!! Thanks so much for all the great info, pictures, and thoughts.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and support....and now back to the review.

Once we left Serenity, we headed to the back half of deck 12 to walk the track and cool down. Around the track there are various outdoor workout stations as well as a Vita course with numerous workout stops.

The Track

DSC00917.jpg

Outdoor workout area

DSC00681-1.jpg

DSC00677-1.jpg

DSC00674-1.jpg

Vita Course stop

DSC00915.jpg

The Sports Court is also in this area

DSC00679-1.jpg

OK, so I am sure you noticed something else in my picture of the track....and that would be the Ropes Course!! I would have loved to have tried this out however last December I injured my shoulder in a skiing accident and just finished rehab 2 days before this cruise. Therefore I did not think it was a smart idea to try this yet however it looked like a lot of fun.....

Note the sign states min 48" to access the ropes course

DSC00907-1.jpg

DSC00895-1.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

Below the ropes course, there are numerous activities in the sports square. These include the mini golf (on 2 levels), billiards, table tennis, chess (one level up), etc. There truly is something here for everyone to enjoy.....

DSC00906.jpg

Whale Tail mini golf

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00894-1.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

OK, so after cooling off walking the track, we went back to the cabin, had a shower and relaxed a little until lunch. We then headed out to deck 5 for the BBQ on the Lanai on the Promedade Deck. After the BBQ , we visited one of the hot tubs :D

Lineup for BBQ

DSC00942.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

Enjoying the hot tub

DSC00943.jpg

After hanging out in the hot tub for a while, we headed back to the cabin for a nap. Then we got ready early for dinner as we had all decided to meet for a pre-dinner drink in the new RedFrog Pub. For those who are interested here is a link to the menu: http://www.carnivalmagic.com/images/vignettes/RedFrogMenu.PDF

DSC01015.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

OK, so we wanted to try out the new, special brew that Carnival had been advertising and pushing at every opportunity.....so we get to the RedFrog and ask for the ThirstyFrog Red and are told............they have RUN OUT. :mad:

It is day 2 of the cruise, how could they possibly run out already??? Who was in charge of ordering this stuff?? Anyhow, we were still a little thirsty and were able to find something else to drink but you would think they would have had lots given the advertising they have been doing. Later in the week, Carnival did fly in some ThirstyFrog Red which came on in Messina so we did get to try it out (at least we were told it had been flown in and was the real deal).

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

The Outdoor area of the RedFrog

DSC00966.jpg

Our Order....

DSC01025.jpg

And a few minutes later....

DSC01028.jpg