Bibs-bring plastic lobster bibs?

my sister is a messy eater. at home we have cloth bibs that velcro to protect her clothing. i dont want to bring those because they are soiled after one use and i only have a few.

has anyone ever brought lobster bibs or is it OK to ask for an extra cloth napkin to tuck in her top? i'm most worried about supper in the MDR.

Any suggestions or input appreciated.

Thanks

Kathy

My sister makes very nice reusable vinyl covered fabric bibs for my mother. She uses either nice fabric and gets "iron on" vinyl (at Michael's craft store) or purchases inexpensive vinyl table cloths, cuts them to size and sews on seam binding and velcro closures. One of my mother's favorites looks like lace, but is actually all vinyl. They are easy to keep in the wheelchair backpack, wipe clean with a damp cloth, and launder when needed. She even made her a vinyl backed (not on the front) black sequin fabric one for formal nights that is always a big hit with both other guests and wait staff.

You can also find vinyl covered adult bibs through medical supply catalogs, but we prefer our custom made ones.

I agree about the extra napkins too though. In my experience, all we need to do in the dining room is let the wait staff know the first night that we need extra napkins, a "bendy" straw, and to have my mother's food cut up for her, and they take care of that without any further reminders for the rest of the cruise. One of the big reasons we prefer traditional to "anytime" dining is having the same wait staff and not having to go through this every evening over and over!

I sense a cool new item for the Cruise Critic store: lobster bibs with the CC logo and tastefully available in Formal (sequined and rhinestoned) and Smart Casual. :D

Actually, the cruise lines themselves could make a fortune peddling classy lobster bibs with cruise ship logos...

Thank you Splinter for the great ideas.

Kristen

• 2 weeks later...

Attaching two small (colored or not) binder clips to a nice ribbon or string makes a great way to use a dinner napkin as a bib, that way the mess stays in the dining room and you don't have to take it with you. And once your waiter sees that you need an extra napkin at night, he/she will have it ready for you when you show up at your next dinner.

Archived