Santorini hot springs/oia

Scorpiorose

If you read the various posts here about Santorini, you will see that the ship stops at one location for the pax taking ship's excursions to get off. Then it moves a mile or so to another location where general disembarckation starts.

I would say 3 is a better time, assuming you can be on an early tender. I don't know where the volcanic hot springs are, but you can certainly make it to Oia for dinner. Back to the ship by 8? Getting a little tight, perhaps.

The volcanic springs are across the caldera from where you will dock from your tender. There might be boats waiting there to sail you across- it will depend on how many ships are in, how many boats are being used for tours etc. The springs are behind the volcano, and the tour often includes a walk up that, before sailing round to the springs. If you have arranged a boat already, then it's not a problem.

After your swim, the boat will return you to the main island, and you will have to go up the cliff to find transport to Oia. We're only talking short distances for these trips, but some of it may depend on the volume of tourists on that day. Remember to take a water proof bag for your swimwear. If it's a local trip, it may mean you having to dress on deck, so be prepared with your swim suit on.

Jo.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I've just asked OH, who's done this two or 3 times....and he says it's not such a great experience....the first time, he took his fins and snorkel, but realised he was swimming in light mud....

We just sit on the boat and wait. If it's the usual trip, ie. not a special hire boat, then it's fairly basic, with either a ladder to climb into the water, or jump off. The cove itself is just a rocky cove, with a tiny church at one end- there's no exit from the boat except for the swimmers.

You might get lots of answers now saying it was incredible....:o

We do it as part of a longer boat trip, with people who've not been to Santorini before, but it's not the highlight of our week's holiday....:rolleyes:

Jo.

This sounds like a lot to do....the springs, is it worth it????

I'm not a big swim fan, thought that would be something unique to see but maybe something else

I haven't done it myself, but i've spoken to some who have. Basically, you get taken (in a local boat) to a spot near the island in the middle of the caldera. This spot (there may well be a number of them) is where hot sulphur or other gases are being vented (in very small quantities) into the sea and warming it up. (It's all evidence of continuing volcanic activity at Santorini.) When you're there you can climb down from the boat and swim in the warm water. However, it's not a good idea to wear good/expensive swimwear as the water may be slightly acidic and can both dissolve & mark your swimwear!

I haven't bothered with it because, to me, it's not what Santorini is about. In my opinion, Santorini is all about the caldera edge, so what we've done is concentrate on caldera-edge activities, including exploring Fira and Oia; enjoying drinks and meals in caldera-edge restaurants & bars; and doing some gentle caldera-edge stolls in Oia and from Fira to Imerovigli. Here's an image from autumn 2009, looking towards Imerovigli.

_19_0178.jpg

Archived