onboard expenses account and tipping

Just wondering if I opt to pay by cash but dont have enough can I pay the rest by credit card? Also if you are on traditional dinning, how do your tips get paid? Do they take an amount out or are you given envelopes and are expected to put money in those and give them to the staff (only done my time before) thanks xx:D

If you're worried about cash... why not put the expense account on the card first and then pay it off with whatever cash you have left at the end of the cruise? That's what I did on the last cruise. I put the sign & sail from Carnival on my real credit card and then went and paid off the balance with my AAA money card at the end of the trip.

Just wondering if I opt to pay by cash but dont have enough can I pay the rest by credit card? Also if you are on traditional dinning, how do your tips get paid? Do they take an amount out or are you given envelopes and are expected to put money in those and give them to the staff (only done my time before) thanks xx:D

If you are in traditional dining, you will receive a form sometime during the cruise which will indicate your options for paying your tips. You can have them added to your account or you can simply choose to tip in cash at the end of the cruise. If you authorize them to add the tips to your account you will receive vouchers and envelopes to hand out the last night of the cruise. If you choose not to have the tips added, you will just receive tip envelopes at the end of the cruise and you can put cash in them and hand them out on the last night of the cruise. If you go with the voucher system, you can add cash to any of the envelopes if the person you are giving them to provided you with better than expected.

If I were you I would pay the bill by credit card (assuming your card limit isn't exceeded) and use that cash to pay off the credit card bill when it arrives, but you can should be able to use a combination of cash and credit to pay the bill if that is what you wish to do. However, I would just check with guest services while you are onboard to make sure that such an arrangement is possible.:)

I do this all the time. I put x$ on the account when I board. If I exceed this I have also put my CC info on too. On the last night of the cruise after I decide I am heading to bed I head to the Front Desk and pay off the bill. If I have a credit I take back whatever they owe me. Then I go to bed with a clear mind. I get up and leave the ship with a 0 balance. If I owe them something it just goes on the CC. I pay it off when I get home.

Thanks guys for your responses. The reason I want to pay by cash first is that I have some $ left over from my last overseas holiday (Im from the uk) so would like to use them to pay the bill and if I do go over the amount I have then just wondered if i could get the extra (if there is any) put onto my card? xx

Thanks guys for your responses. The reason I want to pay by cash first is that I have some $ left over from my last overseas holiday (Im from the uk) so would like to use them to pay the bill and if I do go over the amount I have then just wondered if i could get the extra (if there is any) put onto my card? xx

Yes. When you check in register the card.

Then you can either:

a) at beginning of the cruise add cash to your account (account will have a positive balance)

or

b) wait till end of cruise and make a cash payment against balance owed on your account.

either way the balance will be charged to the credit card.

Yes. When you check in register the card.

Then you can either:

a) at beginning of the cruise add cash to your account (account will have a positive balance)

or

b) wait till end of cruise and make a cash payment against balance owed on your account.

either way the balance will be charged to the credit card.

And if you put cash on the account at the begining of the cruise, an you don't spend it all,the balance will be refunded to the registered credit card

Archived