General Questions

Cyclone92

Good evening everyone,

I will be cruising with 5 other family members in July on the inside passage cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. I have cruised with HAL once on a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Noordam about 5 years ago. However, we have never been on an Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any information or insight that the board members can provide.

1. We would like to be aboard as soon as possible. How early should we plan on being at the Canada Place terminal in Vancouver? Will the stateroom be ready right away? I seem to remember it being around 3pm before staterooms are available but I may be wrong.

2. Is the special embarkation lunch for Mariner Society members a better option than the Lido (which will probably be packed)? Only 4 of the 6 members of our group are Mariner Society members, will the other 2 be allowed to attend?

3. Where are the best viewing location for the scenic cruising days? I remember the Crows Nest being very good on the Noordam, but where are the best outside locations? I understand there is probably not one location that is best, but where are your personal favorites?

4. What kind of temperatures can be expected in July in this region?

That is all I have for now, although I am sure I will think of other questions.

I have been a long time reader of this board and appreciate all the good insight.

Thanks,

Alex

Good evening everyone,

I will be cruising with 5 other family members in July on the inside passage cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. I have cruised with HAL once on a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Noordam about 5 years ago. However, we have never been on an Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any information or insight that the board members can provide.

1. We would like to be aboard as soon as possible. How early should we plan on being at the Canada Place terminal in Vancouver? Will the stateroom be ready right away? I seem to remember it being around 3pm before staterooms are available but I may be wrong. New policy- rooms will be ready about 11:30, and that is when you can start boarding.

2. Is the special embarkation lunch for Mariner Society members a better option than the Lido (which will probably be packed)? Only 4 of the 6 members of our group are Mariner Society members, will the other 2 be allowed to attend? Better? That is a matter of personal opinion, and can't answer for you. They will probably allow your group in. Honestly, tho, isn't it for people who have earned it?

3. Where are the best viewing location for the scenic cruising days? I remember the Crows Nest being very good on the Noordam, but where are the best outside locations? I understand there is probably not one location that is best, but where are your personal favorites? Crows Nest or on deck.

4. What kind of temperatures can be expected in July in this region? Could be 50s, particularly while at sea, or close to 80 at the warmest.

I have been a long time reader of this board and appreciate all the good insight.

Thanks,

Alex

Lots more info reading over on the Alaska board too.

Good evening everyone,

1. We would like to be aboard as soon as possible. How early should we plan on being at the Canada Place terminal in Vancouver? Will the stateroom be ready right away? I seem to remember it being around 3pm before staterooms are available but I may be wrong. Canada Place opens around 10 AM -- it can be a zoo at times -- boarding should begin about 11:30

2. Is the special embarkation lunch for Mariner Society members a better option than the Lido (which will probably be packed)? Only 4 of the 6 members of our group are Mariner Society members, will the other 2 be allowed to attend? the dining room is supposed to be open from Noon until 1:30 for lunch -- i would go there rather than fight the mobs in the Lido -- YES -- all of you can go to lunch in the dining room since some of you are already Mariners.

3. Where are the best viewing location for the scenic cruising days? I remember the Crows Nest being very good on the Noordam, but where are the best outside locations? I understand there is probably not one location that is best, but where are your personal favorites? Crow's Nest is good -- the bow will be open as well as other front areas of the ship on scenic cruising days

4. What kind of temperatures can be expected in July in this region? We have experienced temperatures to be anywhere from 50 - 80 degrees in July -- that's why I always take at least 1 pair of bermudas

Thanks,

Alex

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise

Archived