Glory out of New York question.

tricy99

My family.....dh 35, dd 13 and ds 9. We are booked on carnival glory this June. We booked two pre cruise hotel stay but on return we plan to come straight home. Our train is scheduled for departure from New York around 3pm. Any suggestions of ways we can kill a little time? Remember we will have our luggages as well.:confused:

We did the same thing last year (but flew out) We rented a car for the day, and went to times square, Central PK for the afternoon. The luggage stayed in the trunk. It was a walk to the rental agency (maybe 8 - 10 blocks) but it was a straight line from the terminal. The car cost around $90 for the day. It was worth it... You could have one person get the car and bring pick up the others. (hauling the luggage 10 blocks wasn't too fun but we would do it again) When we were done we returned the car to the airport and too the shuttle (free)

We did the same thing last year (but flew out) We rented a car for the day, and went to times square, Central PK for the afternoon. The luggage stayed in the trunk. It was a walk to the rental agency (maybe 8 - 10 blocks) but it was a straight line from the terminal. The car cost around $90 for the day. It was worth it... You could have one person get the car and bring pick up the others. (hauling the luggage 10 blocks wasn't too fun but we would do it again) When we were done we returned the car to the airport and too the shuttle (free)

Wow I didn't think of that. I am going to talk with dh and see what he thinks. Thanks a million

I think you might find getting a car a hassle. Driving in Manhattan is trying (will it be a weekday when you get off your cruise?), parking can be a problem unless you go with a garage and that is expensive. If you have a 3:00 train you don't really have that much time. I'd think you'd want to get to Penn a bit earlier.

Are you taking AMTRAK? Is it a train where you are checking your luggage? If so, check your luggage & then walk around the city or take the subway. If luggage checking not an option, how about asking the hotel where you are staying 2 nights prior if they might possibly let you leave your luggage in their check area for a few hours until you have to head to Penn.

I think you might find getting a car a hassle. Driving in Manhattan is trying (will it be a weekday when you get off your cruise?), parking can be a problem unless you go with a garage and that is expensive. If you have a 3:00 train you don't really have that much time. I'd think you'd want to get to Penn a bit earlier.

Are you taking AMTRAK? Is it a train where you are checking your luggage? If so, check your luggage & then walk around the city or take the subway. If luggage checking not an option, how about asking the hotel where you are staying 2 nights prior if they might possibly let you leave your luggage in their check area for a few hours until you have to head to Penn.

Thanks :) I just had a talk with dh and we both agree that renting a Car would be too much for the short length of time we have. Checking the luggage is a great idea if it is possible. Yes we return on a thursday. Yes Amtrak is our train. What are some popular places near Penn station to visit?

Times Square is fun...lots of shops and things to see/do....or, if you are pretty quick walkers, I recommend Central Park....we went on one of those bike/carriage tours last year and it was very nice and interesting (but $$)...but they take you through the entire park and are very knowledgeable about the sights and history....the 'Friends' fountain is in there...Strawberry Fields (the area dedicated to John Lennon), and you can see the entrance to John Lennons home (where he was shot) :( ...(and alot more) The horse drawn carriage rides only cover a tiny bit of Central Park...

The bike carriage tour took about 45min...and if you ask them, they may even take you back to Penn Station or the hotel where your luggage is, for a little extra (maybe)....

At Penn Station, You are in the heart of manhattan you can walk ~10 blocks north and be right in times square. You can walk a block or 2 east and be at the Empire State Building.

From the cruise terminal, you could go to central park its only a few blocks north and east, as is the ed sullivan theater and you are also only a few blocks from 5th ave and all the shops there.

Every 20ish blocks is a mile.

There is an Enterprise in walking distance at 667 11th Ave (Cruise pier is technically 711 12th Ave) but I wouldn't rent a car. Parking is a huge hassle and you better know how to read multiple NYC parking signs

Parkingsigns.jpg

Do you have long haul Amtrak Tickets? Than you can check your bags early at Penn Station and go enjoy the city.

Otherwise Schwartz Travel Services you can pay to check your luggage.

http://www.schwartztravel.com/home.html

My family.....dh 35, dd 13 and ds 9. We are booked on carnival glory this June. We booked two pre cruise hotel stay but on return we plan to come straight home. Our train is scheduled for departure from New York around 3pm. Any suggestions of ways we can kill a little time? Remember we will have our luggages as well.:confused:

On 42nd street between the Port Authority bus terminal, and Times Square there is a madame tussauds wax museum. This one is much larger than the one in Las Vegas, and really enjoyable. The shows at the end are also worth the extra money. 34th street is the Empire State Building, and MACY's HUGE flagship store. Up in the Times Square area there are plenty of different stores that are interesting ... Hersey Store, M&Ms store, Toys R Us with the big ferris wheel indoors ... http://www.madametussauds.com/newyork/ ... also check out: http://www.nycgo.com/

a friend and I were on Carnival glory last June. What a great time. I live only 3 hours from NYC, so I get there 3-4 times a year. So much to do. Near the port, there is also the INTREPID .... I have not been to it in years, but I enjoyed it when I toured it. http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Enjoy your cruise, and whatever you decide to do to kill time on the return day.

I've driven to NYC many times.( My son applied to NYU) I find it easy to get around and park. I park in a parking garage. I usually park up near Times square. If you go online, you can get some great deals. I also find taking the subway really easy and affordable. At Penn station, you can take the Subway all over the place.

I would skip the car though and see if you can check luggage at penn station. I would then use public transit to go wherever. If you have never been to NYC, Times Square, Rockfellar Plaza.. all the touristy stuff is an experience. Have lunch somewhere. Before you know it, it will be time to go home!

I love NYC.

Thanks you guys this is some great suggestions. I think central park would be a nice place to see. I am not sure if I have a long haul ticket? I am not sure what that means? I will tell you that our trip home is almost 12 hours, so does this consider me a long hauler? Thanks again CC

I don't think you'll have nearly as much free time as you think by the time you disembark (this can take a couple of hours for everyone to get off the ship and retrieve their luggage). Then add in the time it will take you to get to Penn Station and it could be 10 AM by the time you get there. As a former Manhattanite, I would head over to Penn station directly from the ship and check the luggage there. The station is right in the middle of Herald Square where you have the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, the flagship Macy's store, etc.. If it were me, I wouldn't venture too far away and risk missing my train home. Times Square is an easy walk - about 10 blocks north - and just taking in the sights and sounds of the city can be more interesting than visiting a traditional tourist spot. Whatever you do, be sure to allow plenty of time to retrieve your luggage and get to your train when you get back to the station. Since you are juggling kids as well as luggage, I'd be back at the station no later than 2:30 PM. If you take time to get some lunch, you really don't have nearly as much time as you think.

Since you will be in NYC for a couple of days prior to your cruise, see then what you might want to do in the area of Penn Station and save that for your return day.

Hope this helps..

Archived