Carnival Spleandor May 8 (Mother's Day) Review

capndinghy

AmTrak Surfliner from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara (Goleta)

After emerging from the Cruise Terminal, which by the way is the former home of Howard Hughs's Famous Spruce Goose, we pepared for the next leg of of our journey. The reason we traveled to California in the first place was to visit our Son Scott, his wife Alice, and our Grandson Teddy. Our Cruise we just finished was an afterthought, and if you ask me a good idea. The next leg of our journey was to take us to Goleta California, where the University of California, Santa Barbara Campus is located. There are basically three ways to travel to Santa Barbara: Train, Plane, or Automobile. We chose the train.

5809459304_b1d4fc4d16_b.jpg

Gangplank at Long Beach by

capndinghy, on Flickr

We were off of the ship by about 9AM. Even at that early hour the Cruise Terminal was a Hub-bub of activities. Eagar Cruise Passengers were arriving as we Veteran Floaters were leaving. Pat and I wheeled our Oversize Steamer Trunk Cheapo Wal Mart Luggage to the Super Shuttle area located in the covered parking area. Being the thorough person I am, I had pre-reserved our transport for a fare of $54.00 (plus 18% gratuity) with the Super Shuttle Service. Before we knew it we were on board our Van with 3 other couples on our way to the Los Angeles Union AmTrak Station via way of the LAX International Airport. Yes, we were the only folks leaving Los Angeles by this mode of transportation.

5812634339_0282bde9bc.jpg

Super Shuttle by capndinghy, on Flickr

We used the super shuttle as a means of transportation from both the Santa Ana Airport to Long Beach, and then from the Long Beach Cruise Terminal to Union Station, which is located in Downtown LA. I did do some compariaon shopping and found their rates to be about the best deal. We were very happy with the service. One must realize that these Vans will make several stops to accommodate other passengers.

I had reserved first class seats on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train Service that runs from Los Angeles Union Station to Goleta, California. The fare for both Pat and I was about $75. Snob that I am, I did spring for an extra $26 for First Class accommodatioons. After all we had just been spoiled for the past 7 days and were not quite ready to be beat up and truamatized as lower class travelling public. The ride from Long Beach to LAX Airport then on to Union Station took about 1 hour. There was very little traffic, because it was Sunday.

5812444215_4168e98b11_b.jpg

Southern California Union Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

There were very few people out and about when we arrived at the station.

5812448827_a51be92456_b.jpg

Union Staion Sign by capndinghy, on Flickr

FONT="Verdana"]

I must say that California really does have Coastal train travel figured out. They have excellent Service from San Diego up to Santa Barbara and even one train a day (The Famous Starlight) to Seattle. Knock on wood, everytime we have ridden the train it is has been a pleasant experience, unlike most airplane trips these days. We arriived at the train station with plenty of time to spare and the best part is no running the guantlet of the TSA Security ****'s. (Do Not Get me Started on Them).

[/font]

5809463834_5aa2111092_b.jpg

LA Amtrak Union Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

Union Station is like going back in time. Located in downtown Los Angeles, as most Train Depots were back in the hey day of Train Travel, Union Station is a Marvel. It is large, clean, and the as they say in Miami Beach, Retro. The large arches and roomy areas give one a feeling of visiting the Notre Dame Cathedral without the nuns.

5812432125_c4e11f6a9e_b.jpg

Times Past by capndinghy, on Flickr

When one walks in it is like going back to the 1938. One can just see Clark Gable, David Niven, and Carol Lombard waving and Flash Bulbs popping as they board the “California Zephyr” bound for New York City and Points in between.

5813379532_c5490d3a8f.jpg

Zyrhper logo by capndinghy, on Flickr

If one looks closely one may see Bob Hope and Bing Crosby too.

5813018972_ddced59bea_b.jpg

Going Back in Time by capndinghy, on Flickr

It was still pretty early on Sunday morning so we only saw one drug addict left over from Saturday night who was promptly shooed off by AmTrak personel) Soon after we arrived other passengers began to show up as well. Pat and I got checked in then sat and relaxed while we awaited the arrival of our Train which had originated in San Diego and unlike the airlines these days, was running on time.

5812424809_40ca429441_b.jpg

Our fellow Passengers by capndinghy, on Flickr

This train station was built sometime in the 1930's and sports very lovely high cieilings with thick wooden beams in a Spanish type style. 5813021818_1988c567a1_b.jpg

Pat waiting for Train at the Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

These lofty beams make great perches for birds and Pat realized that one could get 'bombed' so she pulled up her hood, just in case.

5812988204_7fe08b0e9f_b.jpg

AmTrak Pat Covered Head in Case Bird Bombs her at Union Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

It was somewhat confusing as to just where goes to to board the train, especailly for a new comer who had never been to the Union Station before. There was a sign that made no sense whatsoever as to just how or where one would go to board. I went to the infomration booth where one would think one would get some information. This information guy was a down right jerk. He was nasty and and would not even give me an intelligent answer. Mind you, I have only traveled and navigated at 86% the speed of sound for my whole life, so it is not like I am just off the turnip truck. No wonder Amtrak has gone bankrupt in the past. I am sorry to say this guy reminded me of some of my former co-workers. We finally figured it out and I felt vindicated when others would ask us, if they were indeed in the right place.

5813025578_5fbaa5d74e_b.jpg

Amtrak Schedule by capndinghy, on Flickr

In fact we visited with a nice couple who had ridden the train down the night before to attend a Dodgers Base Ball Game. They too enjoy train travel.

5813023588_750b7e23f3_b.jpg

To the Trains at Union Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

Finally it was time to board our train and my information guy's assisant came to lead us out. She very nastily chided us for standing in front of some imaginary line. Mind you this is inside the station and made no sense whatsoever, other than the fact that she had some control over us. Gosh I thought I was back at the Airport.

5815537720_13e8db0cf8_b.jpg

The Train by capndinghy, on Flickr

When we boarded our First Class Car, lugging our luggage, the Conductor raced up grabbed our heavy bags and placed them in the proper area. The Amtrak personell were vindicated by the onboard operating crew. (Again much like the airlines) This gentleman could not have been nicer and I felt much better after having been beat-up upon earlier. I took my repaired ego upstairs where Pat and I found 2 roomie, confortable, seats. This is what is so nice about train travel. The Seats are big and nice, and one is not jammed in like a sardine. Before long we heard a train horn toot (not quite as loud as the Splendor's horn) and away we went; our 2 ½ hour trip up the California Coast had begun.

5812988110_be288f7de6_b.jpg

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner First Class Car by capndinghy, on Flickr

It is interesting. The train seemed to stop just about every 10 minutes on our Journy Northward that would take us through such towns as Glendale, Burbank, Van Nuys, Simi Valley, Oxnard, then along the coast to Ventura, Carpenteria, Santa Barbara, and Goleta where our train would terminate, which was just fine with us because that is where we were going.

Shortly after we pulled (took off, set sail, steamed?) out of Union Staion we discovered what the first class amenities are. The Conductor came by and passed out snack packs and a small bottle of wine. So as I contemplated whether or not our Engineer was busy texting or paying attention to the driving our train, I drank my wine and watched the scenery go past.

All of the stops the train make are very short, a couple of minutes at the most. Just enough time for passengers to get on or off at the little stations. One of the stops was Burbank Airport, where Pat and I normally board this

train after flying in to Burbank from DFW. (It sure beats LAX)

5812460527_349e61a07b_b.jpg

IMG_4168 by capndinghy, on Flickr

After picturesque trip through the Simi Valley of CowBoy Movie Fame (think the Lone Ranger and Tonto chasing Bad guys along the Rocky Area), the train descends down to the Coast where it provides lovley vistas as it travels along the Coastline.

5813029026_1d1af3b47f_b.jpg

Beach ride by capndinghy, on Flickr

Hence the name California Surfliner.5813030652_cab6e24037_b.jpg

Surfliner along the Beach by capndinghy, on Flickr

Every now and then one will hear the train horn blowing as we would approach crossings and we could wave at the folks stopped as we went speeding past. It is fun to see the motorists shaking their fist in frustration while I was happily saluteing them with my glass of wine.

5813033826_99ca1cf3f2_b.jpg

Chuggin Along by capndinghy, on Flickr

This is usaully the part of the trip where I get up and head down to the snack bar car, for my beer break and various Photo ops. It is fun snapping pictures of the cars zooming along the Pacific Coast Highway, while racing them with the train. I noticed the cars usually passed the train up.

5813032108_3dc2bb772c_b.jpg

Passing am Auto by capndinghy, on Flickr

There are some great beach views as the Surfliner Rambles along the coast.

5812988264_15c0703a56_b.jpg

AmTrak view from the SurfRider in Carpenteria Beach, Calif. by capndinghy, on Flickr

It is fun when the train stops at the various Beach Commnities. The stops there are usually a bit longer because more folks are getting off the train. The conductor told me the train was usually full on Fridays as people traveled to these great little towns to enjoy the amibiance and a few glasses of wine no doubt. Carpinteria is a great example of a little beachfront community that has prospered by the Amtrak

Service.5813038676_0a527a00f4_b.jpg

Carpinteria by capndinghy, on Flickr

It is a small picturesque little Station.

5813036250_dcfa014f1b_b.jpg

Carpinteria Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

The next to last stop is Santa Barbara. After that the train continues on to Goleta which is only a 7 minute ride, where the train teminates. The Santa Barbara Station is very nice. It is reminecent of the 1930's. Much like the Union Station, one could easily step off of the train in Santa Barbara and go back into time.

5813044646_184700e570_b.jpg

Santa Barbara by capndinghy, on Flickr

Just about everyone (except Pat and I) got off the train in Santa Barbara. It seems we were the only passengers riding all the way to Goleta.

5813042448_c26e08c0c8_b.jpg

Surfliner Stops in Santa Barbara by capndinghy, on Flickr

Train Travel is so much more relaxing that the hustle and bustle of airports as passengers seem to liesurly go about their business.

5812473439_8bba6066b9_b.jpg

Santa Barbara Train Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

As the train pulled out of the Santa Barbara station Pat and I gathered up all of our 'stuff' and headed downstairs so as to be ready to disembark when the Surfline arrived at Goleta, only a short 7 minutes away. The train Stopped, the door opened, and our trip had come to an end. 5813046472_3862fb6ce9_b.jpg

Goleta Train Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

There waiting for us were my son Scott, his lovely wife Alice, and out little Teddy. Teddy really enjoyed seeing the Big Train.

5812482661_dfcda4af52_b.jpg

Scott and Teddy at the Goleta Train Station by capndinghy, on Flickr

Shortly after we were off of the train, it pulled out of the station, headed for a siding where it would wait for 2 hours until beginning it's Southbound trip back to Los Angeles.

5813051486_373f15ff25_b.jpg

Pacific Surfrider by capndinghy, on Flickr

We waved goodbye as our train slowly disappeard around the bend.

I love the train part of your review, along with the beautiful pictures you included. Your grandson is adorable!!

I think I see a train trip in our future. It looked like a great thing to do!!

Hello jackdis, I am glad that you enjoyed my review of our recent Train Trip. You mentioned my might have to try one. I would think a nice trip from New York up to Boston would be perfect and Boston is a fun city to explore with the kids. Just a thought!

5818210453_0de36c1359.jpg

Train Wreck by capndinghy, on Flickr

Hello jackdis, I am glad that you enjoyed my review of our recent Train Trip. You mentioned my might have to try one. I would think a nice trip from New York up to Boston would be perfect and Boston is a fun city to explore with the kids. Just a thought!

5818210453_0de36c1359.jpg

Train Wreck by capndinghy, on Flickr

Chuck,

You have sold me on the idea! My husband and I have never been to Boston. (He has taken the auto train. He had a sleeper and has always mentioned doing a train trip someday.) Our daughter recently went on a school trip to Boston and loved it, so I think this is in the cards for our future. Thank you for the great idea!!!

October might be a good month for Captain to get on another ship.;)

Jackdis--I've taken the Amtrak from NYC to Boston and it was a most lovely trip.

Thank you for the info. We are really talking about doing it in the fall. Just have to find out specifics.

Thanks!

hi there Cap!

We returned home from our 3 cruises just over a week ago. All 3 were very different & great in their own way. We did especially enjoy the Splendor cruise & the great people we met on there such as yourself & the rest of the roll call group. I really enjoyed having a drink with you at one of the bars & hearing about your old airline pilot stories.

You have done such a great job of this review that while reading it I have felt I am somewhat still on board having such a great time. Great work! & good pics too!

Look forward to catching up on a future cruise!

I have a question for my Review "Reviewers". After our Cruise we took the Amtrak Pacific Surfrider from Los Angeles up to Santa Barbara. Should I append a short review of our train trip to this review?

Please do. I like several other people have been reading your review. I posted a link to your cruise on our Splendor cruisevthis November. Too bad it's not like Utube to see how many hits you get. Very funny and entertaining. I love your style.

We were in a couple of your ports over Christmas and New years on a Panama Canal Cruise. You went to some of the same places. Brings back good memories.

Thanks again

I am now off to read your other cruise reviews.

hi there Cap!

We returned home from our 3 cruises just over a week ago. All 3 were very different & great in their own way. We did especially enjoy the Splendor cruise & the great people we met on there such as yourself & the rest of the roll call group. I really enjoyed having a drink with you at one of the bars & hearing about your old airline pilot stories.

You have done such a great job of this review that while reading it I have felt I am somewhat still on board having such a great time. Great work! & good pics too!

Look forward to catching up on a future cruise!

Hi...I just saw your note you left. I really enjoyed meeting you guys and am happy to hear your other cruises went well. I guess you are back home in Australia now. Oh, I appreciate the compliments on my photos, coming from a real photographer! I hope we meet again some day. I will tell Betsy you said hello. I am sure she will come here and write you a quick note as well!

Best regards,

Chuck

Archived