RCCL and the vision impaired

Hi all -

I'll be on my first RCCL cruise in September along with another couple, one of whom is legally blind. Not totally blind, though - she can still see enough to get along and you wouldn't know she was blind by looking at her. If I understand correctly her center vision is shot and she gets by on peripheral vision. (For those in the know, it is called ocular histoplasmosis).

Anywho, does anyone know if RCCL makes any special consideration for people with vision impairment? I'm thinking along the lines of shows at the Aqua Theater or in the main theater, or maybe the comedy club. I don't think she needs a front row seat (and she would never ask for it) but at the same time if she gets seated in the back of the theater she won't be able to see a thing.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide... if this is considered a 'special need' that I can alert my travel agent to, I will. When they initially asked that question I was thinking along the lines of wheelchair bound people or those with food allergies, etc.

I have found it never hurts to ask, you know the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask and the worst that can happen is they say no. Special needs covers a huge segment of the population in one way or another. I always used to sit at the front of the church so people didn't have to turn around to see what my autistic son was up to.....accommodations can always be made somehow. Happy travels!

Yes, they consider it a special need...they even have menus in braille in all the restaurants if they know someone on board is blind! As far as seating in the shows go, I don't know if they do anything special for that though...I would just count on getting there in plenty time to find a good spot. :)

My brother has very poor eyesight and just got off the Rhapsody of the Seas. He filled out a special needs form - they can email one to you if you need it. There is a place on their to mark what you need, such as large print menus and large print daily compasses (daily schedules), and like someone posted above, they have braille as well.

Happy cruising!

The cruise lines do such a great job for the special needs groups. By all means, have your TA inform RCI early.

We have deaf adult children who are on the Oasis right now. Everything they need has been provided.

They have taken 3 RCI cruises with a HUGE deaf group. RCI is great.

Pat

Archived