Southwest & Ez Check & FLL?

I am flying on Southwest Airlines for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Can any one verify that Ez Check works with flights out of FLL on Southwest Airlines?

Southwest does not participate in any "EZ check" program offered by any cruiseline, in any port.

However as indicated above they do have a baggage dropoff truck right outside the terminal. It does however required you to claim your bags, and clear customs making it slightly less convenient.

I called southwest (as we only fly Southwest due to their very good prices, service, and best rewards program in the industry) asking about this and they said they don't participate in any 3rd party baggage checks. The rep didn't know why or if they would ever offer it in the future.

There is also a third option called BagsToGo. As far as I know they only operated out of Ft. Lauderdale. $6 per bag per day. They will pick bags up from docks (just outside of customs) and store them at airport for as long as you need. You pickup baga and then check them into airline. I have never used them, nor do I vouch them. Just ran across them doing research on the port.

Southwest does not participate in any "EZ check" program offered by any cruiseline, in any port.

However as indicated above they do have a baggage dropoff truck right outside the terminal. It does however required you to claim your bags, and clear customs making it slightly less convenient.

I called southwest (as we only fly Southwest due to their very good prices, service, and best rewards program in the industry) asking about this and they said they don't participate in any 3rd party baggage checks. The rep didn't know why or if they would ever offer it in the future.

There is also a third option called BagsToGo. As far as I know they only operated out of Ft. Lauderdale. $6 per bag per day. They will pick bags up from docks (just outside of customs) and store them at airport for as long as you need. You pickup baga and then check them into airline. I have never used them, nor do I vouch them. Just ran across them doing research on the port.

How is that more convenient than keeping them with you in the taxi or shuttle.:confused:

It sounds the opposite.

I used EZCheck at the end of an Emerald Princess cruise out of FLL in March of this year for a SWA flight home. It worked great .... my luggage was picked up from outside my cabin door the night before the end of the cruise, and I next saw it when I arrived at the Tampa airport. And Princess delivered my boarding passes to my cabin along with the necessary luggage tags for the EZCheck. What a convenience!!!

How is that more convenient than keeping them with you in the taxi or shuttle.:confused:

It sounds the opposite.

Well to each his own. Think of it as checking the bags at the port.

Southwest truck. Clear customs -> check bags at the truck.

Traditional. Clear customs -> catch tax -> load bags -> unload bags -> find ticket counter -> wait in line -> check bags.

Either way you have to clear customs. One just checks your bags sooner.

I used EZCheck at the end of an Emerald Princess cruise out of FLL in March of this year for a SWA flight home. It worked great .... my luggage was picked up from outside my cabin door the night before the end of the cruise, and I next saw it when I arrived at the Tampa airport. And Princess delivered my boarding passes to my cabin along with the necessary luggage tags for the EZCheck. What a convenience!!!

Wow. Southwest really. That complete contradicts what Southwest told me on the phone (which isn't surprising). You are sure it was Southwest? If so that rocks. I will definitely use it this December if available.

It sounds the opposite.

You are confusing the PORT terminal with the AIRport terminal. You have to clear customs with bags after getting off the ship. Then, outside the PORT terminal, you give your bags to the SW truck and get checked in, then head for the AIRport and check through with only hand baggage. EM

Wow. Southwest really. That complete contradicts what Southwest told me on the phone (which isn't surprising). You are sure it was Southwest? If so that rocks. I will definitely use it this December if available.

We cruised out of FLL in February and our friends used the program and they were on Southwest!

We love the program and wish we could use it when we go back to FLL in October after our cruise from Quebec - unfortunately we're staying the night in FLL so all bets (and deals) are off.

Our friends also used this last month when getting off the Emerald and it worked perfectly for them. The luggage tags and boarding passes came to their cabin the night before since they paid for early check in with southwest. They had everything they needed by dinner the night before getting off. The next day they got off with us and since their flight did not leave until 7 PM we drove down to the beach and spent most of the day with them. We dropped them at the airport around 5 pm and then drove across state ourselves.

Does anyone recall how much this service costs? I have a late flight out of NY on debarkation day and thought this might be an option for us so we can explore the city a little.

Its $20 per person.;)

cruzedude ..... YES!!! I am 100% sure it was SWA ....... I may be a seasoned citizen, but I DO know what airline I flew on!!!

SWA is my favorite airline, and I choose to fly with them wherever I go, if they offer sevice to my destination. So I am very familiar with that airline.

I also used EZ check off Ruby Princess May 1 2011. Info was provided Monday in our cabin. You had to go to pursers desk with your itinerary and photo ID, each person traveling must appear. This had to be done by noon Wednesday. Saturday late afternoon our boarding passes and luggage tags were delivered to our cabin--we did not pay SW for early check in--princess did the online check in for us as part of getting the boarding passes and luggage tags. Cost was $20 pp--well worth it to us. Flights had to be after 11:30 am.

The only confusing thing was the luggage tag showed the destination city of the first flight we were on--we changed planes in Tampa and that flight continued on to Houston. I checked to be sure our bags would follow us to Nashville--they did. It was explained the luggage tags we got onboard were temporary and would be changed by SW. That's exactly what happened.

We put our bags in the hall about 10 pm Saturday night and next saw them on the carousel in Nashville Sunday late afternoon.

We could have done early walk off with all our luggage (there were 6 of us), rushed to the airport, stood in line to check in, stood in line again for security, and then, if all went well, made the early, non-stop flight at 9:30. We chose to relax that last morning. As it turned out we were at the airport to see the 9:30 flight leave. Oh,well--still glad we didn't rush around trying to make that early flight! Too many things could have gone wrong.

There seems to be a lot of "waiting in line to check in" at FLL.

Taxi drops off at curb next to kiosks. I've never had a wait.:confused:

I've absolutely nothing against EasyCheck. I use it when flight time permits.

However, DIY is not a hardship.

BTW - I've never loaded my bags into the taxi. The driver does that. :p

cruzedude ..... YES!!! I am 100% sure it was SWA ....... I may be a seasoned citizen, but I DO know what airline I flew on!!!

SWA is my favorite airline, and I choose to fly with them wherever I go, if they offer sevice to my destination. So I am very familiar with that airline.

Very glad to hear it. I had searched on cruise critic and older threads indicated that SW didn't participate (multiple threads). I also called SWA and they stated same thing. That is why I wanted to double check.

Anyways I am glad SWA is participating now. Makes it much easier for the trip home (worst part of cruising). BTW I have same feelings about SWA. The only time I don't fly with them is when they don't go where I need to go (rarely). Since you prefer SWA, you might be interested in their rewards visa. Very nice rewards program and combines w/ points you earn for taking SW flights and rental cars.

Without starting a new thread I have a question on EZ Check. Being relatively new to Princess I missed something on our Star Princess cruise this past April. I never remember seeing anything in the stateroom about EZ Check. I would have done so if I had known. I should have done better research but didn't.

Is this something you have to sign up for prior to the cruise? During the cruise? Does the stateroom attendant leave you any information? He may have and I just missed it.

I just want to make sure I understand the procedure correctly for our next Princess cruise so I don't miss it.

Thanks in advance.

Is this something you have to sign up for prior to the cruise? During the cruise? Does the stateroom attendant leave you any information? He may have and I just missed it.

From what I gather EZ check is very ship, airline AND port dependent. So depending on your ship and/or port it might not be available. If it is available the airlines supported may vary from port to port.

You can't sign up for before boarding. If it is available you should receive notice in your room. If you don't it might be because attendant forgot or just because it wasn't available. On next cruise to be sure you could always check with customer service desk near the end of cruise.

From what I gather EZ check is very ship, airline AND port dependent. So depending on your ship and/or port it might not be available. If it is available the airlines supported may vary from port to port.

You can't sign up for before boarding. If it is available you should receive notice in your room. If you don't it might be because attendant forgot or just because it wasn't available. On next cruise to be sure you could always check with customer service desk near the end of cruise.

Thanks..........I'm sure I just missed it. It was the Star with debarkation out of FLL and we were on American Airlines, so I'm betting they had it and I just missed it. We have tried it on other cruiselines and it was worth every penny............I'll be sure to check next April on the Golden from LAX.

Thanks..........I'm sure I just missed it. It was the Star with debarkation out of FLL and we were on American Airlines, so I'm betting they had it and I just missed it. We have tried it on other cruiselines and it was worth every penny............I'll be sure to check next April on the Golden from LAX.

I was on the Star and got off on 4/3 in FLL--American Airlines. No notice to my room either and the 1:45 check in was NOT fun :mad:

Archived