Beware of art auctions

MangoJo

We also like the Goddard pictures.......

I love the Goddard pictures but there weren't any on our last cruise. Not that I can afford to buy one but would love to one day.

I did buy a set of Goddard fridge magnets off ebay a couple of years ago:p. Probably the closest I'll ever come to owning one of his masterpieces.!!

Our paintings may not be originals but with the framing etc they look really good and we get lots of comments from people,

1 is an Embellished Victor Shivako- Santorini for Three

and the other a Betrens Capri Boats??

They remind us of lovely holidays in Mexico even though the scenery is of different places.

If we bought similar framed prints in NZ the cost wouldn't have been much different.

We both love them and although we regret the Tubes which were (supposedly free) but cost big bucks to be shipped home -

Well we will just have to live with an element of Silliness -

One sometimes has to own their decisions and just get on with things-We often buy things on a whim because of the feel good factor-

Just limit what you are prepared to spend and only buy if you can live with it long term.Don't buy thinking it will make you any money and you will be fine.

By the time we are dead we would have had our money's worth of enjoyment out of the two paintings and Mum loves hers. And as I said I love it too- so does my sister so no worries there- it will always find a home.

The Prints still in their tubes- WELL we will put that down to a learning curve

• 2 weeks later...

It is well known that British Australian Art, aka BAA, or British American Auctions has not been sending out orders since the middle of 2010 and yet P&O allows them to conduct business aboard their ships, at I'm sure what must be a sizable profit to continue. Last year, in May, I purchased just over $10,000 worth of art, of which I never saw a single piece!!!!! How can this go on???? I was SHOCKED to see them still on board last week on the Dawn, and even more astounded to learn that they have yet to remedy the outstanding orders to P&O passengers. I spoke with SEVERAL passengers who had also purchased art last year with BAA, of 10 I'd say one had gotten their art without issue. The others, like myself, were burdened with the headache of multiple phone calls and a game of run-around unlike any other I've ever encountered.

When my pieces didn't arrive after 7 weeks ( I was not being overzealous)I started trying to reach British Australian Art. While very nice, the girl that answered politely explained that she had to "speak with someone at their American office", which I learned is where all the art originates from.

She clearly had issues in reaching them as several phone calls back to her were met with the same response. She could not offer me an explanation OR a date for which I could expect to see the works I bought ( two Perez, one Park, a hand signed Nechita and some other work I won whose name I don't recall. I demanded a refund, which took several more weeks to be processed. I am so thankful I was able to get my money back.

A simple Google.US search revealed much about "British Australian Art" Actually British American Auctions, they WERE on Holland America, Crystal Cruises, Costa, but have been kicked off all those ships for failure to deliver goods as promised. The near bankrupt company, unable to buy the art they are selling to passengers, has a new manager, Ira Shore, who was at the heart of the Park West scandal.

The whole thing STINKS to me of greed!!! After seeing all these unhappy passengers who have posted on here, and not knowing how many others there are, you would think P&O would follow sync and get rid of them, but they seem to like their profit margin more than they care for the satisfaction of their customers.

P&O SUPPORTS THE COMPANY WHO IS RIPPING US ALL OFF!!! I can think of better ways to use my vacation time. How about you?

edit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

you would think P&O would follow sync and get rid of them, but they seem to like their profit margin more than they care for the satisfaction of their customers.

edit.gif

LOL... P&O care?? Just seeing those 2 words together makes me smirk. :rolleyes:

I am amazed at how bored and wealthy some people must be when they throw big money at what should mostly be classified as junk.

Instead, why not leave the world a better place and throw some of that "bored" money at the poor unfortunate inhabitants of the places they visit?

Amounts equivalent to what they spend on worthless paper prints would change lives immensely.

Wouldn't this be better than it going to boost the bottom line of businesses that many have found to be dodgy concerns?

Sorry, but going on a cruise to buy worthless art seems odd to me, very odd. :cool:

I can't believe that people do this.. next we could see tupperware stalls, pro-active presentations, time share agencies, etc.. on crusie ships.

LOL... P&O care?? Just seeing those 2 words together makes me smirk. :rolleyes:

I am amazed at how bored and wealthy some people must be when they throw big money at what should mostly be classified as junk.

Instead, why not leave the world a better place and throw some of that "bored" money at the poor unfortunate inhabitants of the places they visit?

Amounts equivalent to what they spend on worthless paper prints would change lives immensely.

Wouldn't this be better than it going to boost the bottom line of businesses that many have found to be dodgy concerns?

Sorry, but going on a cruise to buy worthless art seems odd to me, very odd. :cool:

I can't believe that people do this.. next we could see tupperware stalls, pro-active presentations, time share agencies, etc.. on crusie ships.

How critical you sound-

I bet everyone has something in their house on the wall or on the shelf that other people may consider worthless.

The landfills are filled with discarded junk of days gone by.

We live in a democracy and what people choose to spend their money is supposedly free choice as long as it is not immoral or illegal.

Equally it could be said that the money spent by people even going on a cruise, relaxing and stuffing themselves with food, would be better spent on the poor unfortunates in the places we visit.

Thank goodness we are not told what we can and can't spend our money on. I am neither Bored or wealthy,

I am completely aware of the concerns relating to Art Auctions- and will buy a framed print if I want it.

Don't want or need any more on my walls but if I see anything I like while drinking the cheap bubbly well then thats my considered choice.

The sad thing is, on some cruises I could certainly see that happening! :D

oooooooooooohhhhhh onboard Tupperware parties, I love Tupperware.

You do see the hard sell happening with all these stupid 'health' seminars. There are people ready to sell you something at the end of these, so it is happening with things other than art. I still love my Audrey Hepburn print I bought last year though.

oooooooooooohhhhhh onboard Tupperware parties, I love Tupperware.

You do see the hard sell happening with all these stupid 'health' seminars. There are people ready to sell you something at the end of these, so it is happening with things other than art. I still love my Audrey Hepburn print I bought last year though.

As long as you're happy with it Rockie, that's all that matters. :)

How critical you sound-

I bet everyone has something in their house on the wall or on the shelf that other people may consider worthless.

The landfills are filled with discarded junk of days gone by.

We live in a democracy and what people choose to spend their money is supposedly free choice as long as it is not immoral or illegal.

Equally it could be said that the money spent by people even going on a cruise, relaxing and stuffing themselves with food, would be better spent on the poor unfortunates in the places we visit.

Thank goodness we are not told what we can and can't spend our money on. I am neither Bored or wealthy,

I am completely aware of the concerns relating to Art Auctions- and will buy a framed print if I want it.

Don't want or need any more on my walls but if I see anything I like while drinking the cheap bubbly well then thats my considered choice.

Have you considered supporting local artists?

Have you considered supporting local artists?

I do support local artists and have bought 4 original paintings that grace my walls and walls of my love ones.

The point I make is I only buy what I like- I am not an investor-

Some of our originals may go up in value but if they don't we would have had our money's worth- Most have been commissioned and are personal.

The framed prints I have bought on a ship give me as much pleasure as my originals- but they are just what they are and we enjoy them.

(except for the ones in the tubes that is).

If people are silly and buy stuff they don't like and believe everything as gospel - so be it.

Think about what a framed print would cost you at home before bidding- but often you wouldn't treat yourself at home.

If you buy for intrinsic value you can't go wrong- so don't belittle people who go to art auctions-

It is a fun afternoon and you sometimes can pick up a nice souvenir from your trip.

Last cruise we went on we just drank the shampers and bought nothing as our walls are well sorted and there was nothing that took our fancy.

And this will most certainly be the case for the next 2-3 cruises at least.

Instead of peeing our hard earned money down the ship toilet courtesy of a hefty bar bill or buying badly made overpriced tshirts and the likes, we have chosen, if we see something that takes our eye, to use our spending money on art.....over the years we have bought 5 pieces with the most paid being $470.00 for a fantastic large abstract framed....Johns 60th birthday pressie....to have our souveniers on permanent display constantly reminds us of the wonderful cruises we have done together.....we don't buy for investment and i do support local artists.....best prices for them can be found on ebay....

Last cruise we did in March we looked as you do but never bought anything...however we did win one of the raffles...the bonus for us on that cruise was that they had just started sending the art from the Sydney warehouse so there was no postage to be paid.....a true freebie in this case;).....but wait there's more...they quoted 6 weeks for delivery and quite honestly i didn't give it a second thought until i received a large fragile stickered parcel in the post...couldn't find who had sent it and had no idea what was inside...until i opened it and there was my freebie.......FRAMED...........thanks P&O for the second freebie :cool: .......:D:D cheers Shiona

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I am gullible or something, but I paid for two paintings at the art auctions on a P & O cruise in April and the auctioneer (Andrew) definitely claimed that they were "original" paintings.

To me, "original" means one-off works of art by the artist....not an "original copy" painted over by someone at a factory. :confused:

They were supposed to be reframed and rematted, then delivered in 6-8 weeks. When they didn't arrive after 8 weeks, I was initially contacted by BAA and told that they had only just been sent to be reframed and rematted, and they would arrive in another 1 1/2 weeks. The excuse was that the company has been undergoing "restructuring" and there was now a backlog of deliveries. Sounded believable at the time.

Three months after April....no sign of the paintings so I rang BAA and was told that the paintings "aren't here" and she would now "re-order" them for me from the U.S. This was when I first realised that the "original" claim was a lie. I said, "I want the paintings that I paid for on the ship....so where are they??" She said she would find out and "call back". Of course, she never did.

My husband then went on the website and discovered that these paintings are still being listed for sale. We both sent off emails complaining about the "original" claim....no reply. More phone calls, each time being told that we'd be called back. My husband threatened to expose them on A Current Affair :p and even that didn't phase them.

I'm not sure what to do now....I still want these "paintings", whatever they are (copies obviously), since I paid under $400 for them so they are worth having. I suppose I have to decide whether to have them "re-ordered" from the U.S. and wait till kingdom come to have them delivered, or just demand my money back. :(

My assumption is that the paintings I bid for on the ship simply stayed on there and were presented for auction on the following cruise. They were never "mine". :eek:

So what is their ploy, I wonder....do they simply stick your money in a high-interest bearing bank account and leave it sitting there to earn money until you get so impatient that you finally demand it back? :mad:

NOT - HAPPY - JAN!!!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I ra[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]n into one of the other residents from where I live while on the the Diamond Princess her travelling companion spent $50,000 on art on the ship...I was gob smacked I always thought those stories were furphies. The "champagne" could double as paint stripper! Good for a laugh to go to one once. Like everything if you like it and you are happy with the price then fine..[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]maybe its my aging brain but all the art on any ship all looks the same to me! [/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived