Moorea: Club Bali Hai, Moorea Pearl, Sofitel Coralia. Or Le Meridien or Sheraton on Tahiti?

mlbcruiser

We are going on the Tahitian Princess and flying in 2 days early. Considering staying in Moorea possibly at Club Bali Hai. (In photos the views look lovely, but the resort appears to be somewhat closed in. How is the water there? Clear, murky? Can you see out of the lagoon to the open ocean from this resort?). Also interested in the Moorea Pearl and Sofitel Coralia. How comfortable and clean are these resorts? What about mosquitos? If anyone has stayed at any of these resorts, please comment on your stay and feel free to recommend other properties. (Can't afford the Intercontinental or Sheraton Moorea.) As an alternative, we are thinking of perhaps staying on Tahiti at Le Meridien or the Sheraton. Comments, please!

mlb, I would NOT stay in Tahiti - the beaches are not as nice, and it is crowded and smoggy close to Papeete. Also, I would NOT stay at the Club Bali Hai. This is a timeshare resort, and has gone down hill in recent years. It was opened probably 30 years ago by the original "Bali Hai boys" - the only timeshare in Moorea. But it has fallen on hard times. We owned there and visited several times. We sold our timeshare a few years ago. When the Paul Gauguin docked there last year, I returned with my daughter to check out the property - very fond memories. Sadly, as I said, it looked run down - needs paint and many things needed fixing. There also is no restaurant now, so you will be forced to eat at the restaurant across the road. The hotel does unch I think somestimes, and they do have a barbecue. Its lovely looking at the lagoon and the Bali Hai mountain (thats what we called it anyway). You cannot see the ocean - the reef is much further down toward the mouth of Cook's Bay.

I like the Sofitel - great grounds and bungalows, and the snorkling is fab right there from the beach/pier. They have an American Plan I think that is not too bad, considering the high cost of food on the island. Good luck!

Glenda Madrid

THANKS for the input! Sounds like the Bali Hai might not be such a good idea. It's listed in so many guidebooks as such a good value, I'm surprised. But one of the other people going w/us is also choosing a hotel, too, so we have more work ahead of us I see. Seems like every review I see of every place has good and bad aspects to it, so it's hard to decide. Any other comments from anyone are still very welcome as we haven't decided on anything yet! Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Club Bali Hai in Sept 2001 in one of the bay view rooms for 9 days. Although it was not a 'fancy' hotel, we loved it. The people were wonderful and our room on the second floor had a little kichenette with sink, fridge, coffeepot and stove. There was a store within walking distance and we bought some stuff for breakfast and ate on our balcony with a view of Cook's Bay. We rented a car for a few days to see the island because cabs were really expensive. The over water bungalows were not airconditioned, but our room was. There was no TV, phone, radio. But that was fine with us. We bought fresh pineapples from the front desk.

Yes, there are nicer hotels (we visited the Sofitel and probably would stay there if we went back to Moorea - it's beautiful with a beach, snorkeling and a view of the island of Tahiti) and we were told of shabby conditions before we went, but because (I guess) we are not fancy people wanting the Ritz Carlton, the hotel was fine price wise and comfort wise. My husband's only requirement of a hotel when I was looking was that it HAD TO HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. Lots of the other hotels had no a/c and that would have been unacceptable.

The hotel has no restaurant, but most of the restaurants on the island will come pick you up for dinner. And there are only 12-15 restaurants opened in the evening. All snack stands opened during the day for lunch close at night. No fast food. (closest thing to it is a pizza restaurant)

One thought is to book your pre-post trip separately thru a tahiti travel agency.

Thanks for the input! I just can't decide what to do! I know that everyone is reporting their true experience. There seems to be pluses at each resort. Am totally confused! Oh, well, my friend will be back from her cruise at the end of the week and we will figure out what to do. One of the things that I wish is that people who have stayed in these resorts RECENTLY would post on here, as things do change, for better OR for worse. Thanks again!

jkloni, how were the beds at Club Bali Hai? Did the rooster noise bother you all that much? Is the pool kept very clean? I assume you had a hotel room? (That's what we'd get.) Also, did you take a taxi to the Club BH or did you use Le Truk? I don't think we can book through an agency unless we book 3 nts. even though we could split them up (at least that's what one agency said that had good prices), but we don't have the time to stay more than 2 nts. (I already have air, so don't need that.) - even though we can break the nts. up, we just don't have the extra time.

The bed was comfortable. And the room was a pretty nice size. I know some have said the Club Bali Hai is run down, but they were doing renovations to the lobby area while we were there. No noise though that I can remember.

I heard no roosters. It actually was very quiet at night and VERY dark. On Moorea there is nothing to do after dinner. No lounges, bars, etc. So you better enjoy the company of the person you are going with! The days were beautiful and the nights were quiet.

We had transportation scheduled thru the travel agency we booked with. It was like a charter bus.

Nine days on Moorea and we did not see Le Truk one time. Not once. And we took the ferry over from Tahiti to Moorea. The Sofitel is really close to the dock, CBH is futher away.

We swam in the bay and did some snorkeling ny CBH, but both were better by the public beach by the Sofetil.

We also took an island tour which was great (went to the waterfall and the liquor place) and did the snorkeling, shark feeding, motu picnic tour. We had unbelievable views of the island and the water was incredible.

Our package was really inexpensive which is why we picked the CBH (like $798 ea w/air from LA). And the people there were so nice to us - especially Rose, the manager.

I'll answer any other questions you may have.

Archived