Arizona

tcworld

We are booked on the Star Princess to Hawaii. We have booked the USS Memorial Tour. I have been reading that you should be in line very early to get a space. Our tour time is 7:50am. Do we get our tickets on the ship? We have heard about long lines. Does this mean we will still be in a long line even if we get our tickets from the ship? Also, on the Princess site it says that it is first come, first serve to see the memorial. Will we have a better chance to see the memorial if we rent a car and do it ourselves or use the ship tour?

I have not done the Arizona Memorial through a cruise. I am sure you know that the tour of the Arizona is free of charge. If the ship excursion is more than $40 I would think you would be better to rent a car or take a taxi. We never go early because everyone says to go early. We usually go after 1:00 p.m. and get one of the later tours. It is nice late in the day because the crowds are gone. If the ship tour only gives you transportation to Pearl Harbor I would probably look at another plan. JMO Cherie

You can catch the local public bus a couple of blocks from the Aloha Tower, which will take you to the Pearl Harbor Memorial site. It's about one block from the bus stop to the gate. Two bus lines will get you there, the 42 line and one other. The 42 is a "local" bus, stopping often; while the other is more direct. http://www.thebus.org/

The Arizona Memorial tour is free, first come first served. Unless it's a special weekend, such as Memorial Day, there is no problem getting a time. It might be an hour or two wait. The movie, shuttle boat and walk onto the memorial takes about an hour total.

There are charges for going on the rest of the venues (Bowfin, USS Missouri, and Air Museum). We did the Bowfin, Arizona and Air Museum using the bus. We much have left the Golden Princess around 9:00 or 9:30 AM, round trip on the bus, the above tours, returning back to the Golden about 3:45 PM or so. Tiring day. If you are a senior (65+) the bus is $1 each way.........have your ID because they actually check it.

http://www.pearlharbormemorial.com/?gclid=CObTpKfHn6kCFRRigwodzWwBtA

Our personal feelings about the various venues are that the Arizona was OK, but we wouldn't do it again. We (particulary I) enjoyed the Bowfin, which is located right at the Arizona theater/main gate site.......i.e. no bus or boat ride. The Air Museum was not all the great for me, as I've been to much more interesting ones elsewhere. We did not do the Missouri as I've been given a private tour if its sister ship New Jersey in the past. Trying to do all of the venues on one day would not be enjoyable, although many people try to do it.

My concern was making sure we would be able to see the memorial on a ship tour. We had heard that sometimes with all the long waits for the tickets that you might not get to the Arizona just the visitors center. It looks as if we shouldn't have a problem so thanks for all the info. If it were just my husband and I we would take the bus or a taxi but the other people in our party feel more comfortable on a ship tour.

Just got back from Hawaii yesterday, and toured the Arizona Memorial. A couple of things to note:

1. We got there on a Tuesday morning about 7:45 am, and received an 11:00 am boarding time for the trip to the memorial. There were a lot of tour groups there who looked like they were getting in earlier. Not sure if booking a tour with a private company gets you an earlier time, but something to look into.

2. Parking is really tough after about 8 am and before 1 pm. We went back on Thursday to do the USS Missouri tour and couldn't smell a parking spot at 11:00 to 11:30. We asked one of the security guards in the lot, and she indicated the best time to come is after 1:00 as parking begins to open up.

3. The USS Bowfin is a great exhibit. The tour of the boat and the accompanying museum takes about 2 hours to really see and read everything.

4. Plan on at least 2.5 hours for the Missouri. We had a little less than 2 hours, and felt rushed.

5. As someone else said, make sure you bring picture ID for those over 18 if you want to go to the USS Missouri and/or the Aviation Museum. They don't mention anything on their websites, so a lot of people got turned away, including us on the first day.

6. Related to number 5, they are really strict about bringing bags/purses/camera bags, etc., and they actively discourage leaving things in your car due to theft potentials. My wife left her purse and ID back at the place we were staying because of the all of the warnings, so we had to go back a second day.

I have not done the Arizona Memorial through a cruise. I am sure you know that the tour of the Arizona is free of charge. If the ship excursion is more than $40 I would think you would be better to rent a car or take a taxi. We never go early because everyone says to go early. We usually go after 1:00 p.m. and get one of the later tours. It is nice late in the day because the crowds are gone. If the ship tour only gives you transportation to Pearl Harbor I would probably look at another plan. JMO Cherie

How hard is it too get tickets after 1pm, we always hear that it can sell out quickly?

I don't know how hard it is because we have never had a problem after 1:00. Some say that the time of year matters and possibly Thanksgiving weekend and the week between Christmas and New Years might be difficult. We have just never had a problem getting tickets. My most memorable visit was when we had tickets for the last tour of the day. It is so quiet and peaceful at that time.

If you are going on a day that the flea market is taking place at Aloha Stadium you can always do that before or after visiting the Arizona or if you have a couple of hours after getting your tickets before your tour starts.

I don't know how many days you will be on Oahu but possibly you could plan an afternoon arrival one day and if you are unsuccessful arrive early with the crowds the next. I don't know that it is possible to predict the availability of tickets but I do know that most of the tours and crowds are there early. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trip. Cherie

Do those buses go by the big shopping center? I'd like to stop at Sears because their Hawaiian wear used to be quite reasonable. I'm not sure where the ships dock in relation to the Arizona and/or shopping center.

I don't know how hard it is because we have never had a problem after 1:00. Some say that the time of year matters and possibly Thanksgiving weekend and the week between Christmas and New Years might be difficult. We have just never had a problem getting tickets. My most memorable visit was when we had tickets for the last tour of the day. It is so quiet and peaceful at that time.

If you are going on a day that the flea market is taking place at Aloha Stadium you can always do that before or after visiting the Arizona or if you have a couple of hours after getting your tickets before your tour starts.

I don't know how many days you will be on Oahu but possibly you could plan an afternoon arrival one day and if you are unsuccessful arrive early with the crowds the next. I don't know that it is possible to predict the availability of tickets but I do know that most of the tours and crowds are there early. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trip. Cherie

Thanks, it sounds like the times later in the day seem to be better from what I have been reading on the boards, does anyone know if you go early in the day can you request tickets for the last tour and just return later when it is time?

Archived