vantage river cruises

debbie ann

I booked a river cruise in France on ms Discovery for 2013. Did you ever make a Vantage river cruise?

I have done numerous ocean cruises with Holland America, but am having trouble with sea sickness so am going to try the river route.

A neighbor said she she has traveled with Vantage on numerous trips over the years and thinks their guides are great.

My wife suffers from motion sickness, but has found the cure. She takes a capsule of ground ginger daily while cruising. No motion sickness, even when we went through 3 days of 30 ft. swells. There are no side effects from ginger like you get from meds.

• 5 months later...

Saw on Vantage's website that dress code for women in the dining room is a skirt and blouse...can this be true? did call the co. but the cust. service person we spoke to seemed surprised and said that it probably meant on the 2 nights when dining with the captain...although that is not what is written. Am doing research for a river trip in 2014 .. We have done alot of ocean cruises with both formal and informal dress ... And have never run across this...what has been your experience when travelling on Vantage? Thanks!

rljan,

We're booked on that cruise next September. I'd love to hear all about it, when you have the time.

The ship is beautiful and the staff was wonderful. The food was outstanding and the wine flowed freely at dinner. The ports were interesting and the guides excellent. We did the pre & post extentions. We did a Uniworld cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it, but this cruise was far and away better. Several passengers who were veterans of Vantage said this was the best Vantage trip they had taken.

If you have specific questions let me know.

Rich

Only few days later and we are not going on that trip. Vantage called to say that the trip was overbooked and would we rebook the same trip in Oct. and get $2000 or any trip next year and get $3000. Since we were worry about my hip (I am starting the process to get hip replacement in June), We took their offer and have booked the same trip for July 2014.

Good morning! We're on the Budapest to Black Sea in June, 2014 as well. This is our 6th Vantage trip and wondering which date you're leaving, which ship you're on and are you doing Prague extension? We fly to Prague on 6/19 and sail from Budapest on 6/24.

Hi, my wife and I are new to river cruising, and we just got off our first river cruise on the Uniworld S.S. Antoinette last week ,and we loved it. A couple of months ago we booked a Dec.2014 cruise on the River Splender. Yesterday I decided that a river cruise would make a nice Christmas gift for our adult 37 year old daughter and I booked her in a singles room. She has been on numerous ocean cruises but never a river cruise. Has anyone ever stayed in a singles room? Are they adequate? We have no idea what to expect from vantage as far as food, service, and excursions. We have heard that wine is not included but that's no big deal with us. thanks

Hi, my wife and I are new to river cruising, and we just got off our first river cruise on the Uniworld S.S. Antoinette last week ,and we loved it. A couple of months ago we booked a Dec.2014 cruise on the River Splender. Yesterday I decided that a river cruise would make a nice Christmas gift for our adult 37 year old daughter and I booked her in a singles room. She has been on numerous ocean cruises but never a river cruise. Has anyone ever stayed in a singles room? Are they adequate? We have no idea what to expect from vantage as far as food, service, and excursions. We have heard that wine is not included but that's no big deal with us. thanks

What a lovely gift! I think you'll be pleased with Vantage as far as the food, service and excursions are concerned. I've seen a few single rooms in passing and they do look small but it is for one person and she won't be spending much time in it. As for the wine, Vantage never used to provide wine with meals, having it only available for purchase except for welcome and farewell dinners, but now it seems they offer wine at dinner daily on "most" European cruises. The only thing I can see your daughter "missing" is the night life, shows and pools on the ocean vessels. But having been on one yourselves, you know about life on board a river cruise and whether or not she'll miss it.

Rivercruising is a most relaxing way to travel! We have loved being with Vantage on land/sea and river. The food and service have always been very good and the excursions excellent. Wine is being offered on some cruises (I know it is included on our French cruise next year.) Entertainment on board frequently is limited to "local flavor" but also can include excellent lectures and demonstrations. Not a lot of "nightlife" but since the ships are smaller you can get to know fellow passengers better (if you want to!) There is a lot to do each day on excursions so your days will be filled and most excursions are included.

Enjoy your trip!!