Trip Report: Oasis of the Seas 5/14-5/21...tons of pictures

Whichever lens you take, I'm quite certain you'll get great pictures. The ship is beautiful in itself. A macro lens would be great for food pictures. Just shoot raw and make your adjustments in photoshop. Have fun on your cruise in August!

aha...photoshop...answers my question...which program you used. did the color saturation (forgot the actual term) pics come from your camera settting or editing??? LOVE you pics !!!

I can't wait to be on this ship...thank you for the great review:cool:

aha...photoshop...answers my question...which program you used. did the color saturation (forgot the actual term) pics come from your camera settting or editing??? LOVE you pics !!!

I can't wait to be on this ship...thank you for the great review:cool:

Im actually using a few programs. Photoshop CS5, Photoshop lightroom and photomatix. The pics are mainly to create the shot and exposure you want, shooting in raw format will usually result in very dull pictures. That is when photoshop comes in handy. Adjust the colors,tones, saturations etc in photoshop. I dont know how my camera is when shooting automatic mode and in jpeg format. Ever since i bought my camera. Its always been RAW format and shoot in manual setting or aperature setting or shutterspeed ( patients and practice,which is hard at times when your in a rush.)

Thank you everyone for the warm comments. We are in the process of making a deposit for another caribbean cruise:D:D.. sadly its not going to be RCI...

Im actually using a few programs. Photoshop CS5, Photoshop lightroom and photomatix. The pics are mainly to create the shot and exposure you want, shooting in raw format will usually result in very dull pictures. That is when photoshop comes in handy. Adjust the colors,tones, saturations etc in photoshop. I dont know how my camera is when shooting automatic mode and in jpeg format. Ever since i bought my camera. Its always been RAW format and shoot in manual setting or aperature setting or shutterspeed ( patients and practice,which is hard at times when your in a rush.)

Thank you everyone for the warm comments. We are in the process of making a deposit for another caribbean cruise:D:D.. sadly its not going to be RCI...

So what did you decide on? We talk to people that book other cruise lines.:p

We really wanted to go to Half Moon cay.. so we are 90% booking Hal Westerdam southern caribbean. VA aft balcony :)

So while 90% of you will be on Westerdam the other 10% of you will be on....:confused::p

Love this review, and your pics are AWESOME!!! I've already gone through them twice already :)

Quick question, not sure where your cabin was, but we have a inside balcony overlooking Central Park...did you find Central Park to be pretty quiet?

Thank u so much for explaining. That is a lot of work but the end result is beautiful!!:cool:

I'm sure your pics wouldnt be so nice if you didn't have that special touch as a photographer. Photoshop and Lightroom are just a second complement to your pics look more beautiful and professional, but the major work was done before :p

I could follow your advice and bring my macro lens but I guess it would be kinda difficult to me bringing for dinner a big-sizzed camera to photograph my dishes :o if it fit on my pocket or purse :D ...

I am willing to buy a wide lens as I need faster apertures and something that gives me stability in poor light conditions. Still wondering which one to buy ... :confused:

Anyway, fantastic report and pics, I can't wait to start my vacations and my cruise :rolleyes:

I'm sure your pics wouldnt be so nice if you didn't have that special touch as a photographer. Photoshop and Lightroom are just a second complement to your pics look more beautiful and professional, but the major work was done before :p

I could follow your advice and bring my macro lens but I guess it would be kinda difficult to me bringing for dinner a big-sizzed camera to photograph my dishes :o if it fit on my pocket or purse :D ...

I am willing to buy a wide lens as I need faster apertures and something that gives me stability in poor light conditions. Still wondering which one to buy ... :confused:

Anyway, fantastic report and pics, I can't wait to start my vacations and my cruise :rolleyes:

A great little compact try out the TZ10 just bought one

Edited by deltatango

I know the TZ10, a great camera indeed!!

For the time being I am not planning more expenses with photography.

I have 2 compact Olympus which I must confess, they are extremely terrible, so I will have to do my best with the iphone4 when the Dslr could not do the job :p

Yes creating and composing the shot takes alot of time as well. Special with the caribbean heat, you just want to take a quick shot and go. Nightshots can be very tricky too.

I brought my slr camera everywhere dinner time, lunch,snacks haha. Sure we've had a table beside us wondering why we take pictures of every single bit.. but who cares. ahhah i think your macro lens will do fine for food pictures. Im not to sure how fast the lens is..

If your looking for a wide angle lens. my suggestion Tokina 11-16 2.8 or Sigma 10-20 3.5 or Canon 10-22 but canon will result more of lens flare and might be a tad slower for night shot.. for oasis class ship i think wide angle works the best.

anyways i think our hal southern caribbean trip is no go.... freedom of the seas is looking alot better for pricing plus the added crown and anchor savings certificate..

look into the Canon G10 or G11. if you want a smaller size camera. it has the manual functions like a DSLR camera plus it can shoot in raw format.

but for that price you can already get into an entry level canon DSLR camera.. but that will just ask for an upgraded lens. as i think for dslr camera. its all about the lens that will produce quality and sharp pictures

Love this review, and your pics are AWESOME!!! I've already gone through them twice already :)

Quick question, not sure where your cabin was, but we have a inside balcony overlooking Central Park...did you find Central Park to be pretty quiet?

I can say that we had a balcony over looking central park and found it pretty quiet. That is to say they have music..like piano bar type music piped in through the evening. But it wasn't loud or anything. When your balcony door is closed you can't hear anything at all. Hopefully this answers your question.

Pabrett46

I can say that we had a balcony over looking central park and found it pretty quiet. That is to say they have music..like piano bar type music piped in through the evening. But it wasn't loud or anything. When your balcony door is closed you can't hear anything at all. Hopefully this answers your question.

Pabrett46

Yes, it does...thanks so much!! Can't wait to board this marvel :)

i just googled the Tamron 90mm macro.. man that thing is huge. but i think that would be just as good lens for food pics.. so you can show every single bit of detail to make our mouth water.

I wish RCI would take me as their photographer. that means free cruises!! haha

Hi all!

mr.jdm ~ I LOVED your review & especially the pictures! It's getting me in the mood for

my turn on the Oasis which unfortunately is still a ways away.:( Too bad your HAL

cruise didn't pan out as Half Moon Cay is a beautiful spot but you can't go wrong with Freedom of the Seas!

Thanks so much!

~ Jo ~ :)