Cruise air INTO Alaska--need help!

kimanjo

Help!

I got a bonus of an Alaskan cruise through my job. The employer is buying the whole air/cruise package (depsite my willingness to book separately and save the company money). The problem is, I live in Florida, and I've been told by the cruise line--I direct called them--that some of the flights they utilize may not get into Anchorage until 11 pm (almost midnight) the day before I sail. I asked what do I do, hang around the airport for 12 hours, waiting to board the ship the next day? I was told yes, or I would have to pay for a hotel room.

This doesn't make sense to me, considering they (the cruise line) is the one who is making my air arrangements (at a hefty mark-up, I might add). Why can't they arrange a flight that gets me in at a decent hour? Or pay for a hotel?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much!

This doen't sound difficult to me since I have had six sigma training. Here is what I see. First of all I must hand it to your company for giving out a Cruise for a bonus. In the days of "Lean" incentives this is a rare event. Ten years ago the Insurance Industy use to hand out these incentives to there sales people but times have changed. I have to admire your generosity for offering to pay for your own airfare. This is were you can make the difference. Go ahead and purchase airfare on your own that way you can get into Anchorage at your perfered time. Remember if you are traveling to Alaska even in early June the sun does not set util 10:30 or 11:00 PM. At 3:00 AM it is totally day light. Theres no need to sit around. You could go down to Ship Creek and watch the salmon run. Better yet you could rent a car and drive up to Fairbanks where there is almost 24 hours of day light. In Alaska during the summer who wants to sleep with all that day light.

On the other hand you could save the company and yourself some money and take a cruise out of Florda. That way you won't have to worry about airfare. No only that but with 12 hours of day light you at least can get a good nights sleep. Conclusion: I wouldn't loose sleep over who's going to pay for the hotel in Anchorage. Thers just too much to do. Best wishes Tim

I don't think Vivian read your message completely, as you do not want to pay your own airfare, but rather book it yourself and save your company money. I understand the need to sleep after your arrival. I've looked at airfare from KY to Anchorage and the times are not always good either (even booking on our own). Maybe the best thing to do is try to find a flight on your own and go a couple of days early so you do have some extra time to see things and rest before the cruise. I'm sure if you explained it to your company the problem of booking the air with the cruise line, they would be more than happy for you to handle that on your own. Good luck, have fun. We don't go until 2006 :mad:

When exactly are you going? I did a check from Sarasota to Anchorage and you would get in around 5:30 pm. What time does your ship depart? If it departs too early that would be why the cruise line is getting you the day before because of the travel time from Anc to the port. Will you depart from Seward or Whittier? What cruise line are you taking? Looks like you may have to change planes twice to get there, bummer!

Archived