The best cruiseline for kids??

FIVEONTHEAVENUE

I just recently cruised the Carnival Pride (May 29- June 5) and even though we had a blast, I was a little disappointed in Camp Carnival. The cruiseline offers many activities for the kids, however, they are all done in the "Camp Carnival" room. My children interpreted this as a "daycare". If Carnival would have had some of these activities scattered throughout the ship, I think my children would have enjoyed it much more. They are 6 and 8 year old girls.

For example,the Raphael Lounge was hardly ever used and most of the clubs were not in use until late evening. If they could have maybe had towel-animal folding in the Raphael, or a sing along at the Ivory Piano Bar, my kids would have been much more interested. They did offer a Welcome Aboard and Farewell party in the Beauties Bar which they loved because the dance floor lit up.

Anyway, my question is this, Which cruiseline would be the best to cruise with children and not make them feel as if they are in a "daycare" type facility?

Best is really what works for a particular family so I never like to say this is best and this isn't.

Personally, I think to fun cruise lines for those of your children's ages are Princess and of course Disney. Often, people don't think of Princess but they have a very strong children's program.

Keith

Princess allows parents to join the kids for activities in the kid club, so I would do crafts, karaoke with my girls, etc. Usually there aren't many (or any) other parents of over-3-year olds there, but I enjoyed spending the time with my kids.

Best,

Mia

Thanks Keith.

I am considering Disney and yes, I think I did hear this about Princess. Any knowledge on where I can find out more?

You are very welcome.

In addition to reading some of the reviews about each cruise line under the member reviews section sometimes you can also get some valuable information from the respective cruise line web sites about the children's programs.

This link will take you to the writeup on the Princess Cruise Line web site that describes the children's program.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/youth.jsp

This link will take you to the Disney Cruise Line web site with information on their children's programs.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/onboard-activities/youth-clubs/

There is no question that a Disney Cruise is very special for children and parents and even grand parents.

Keith

All kids club pages/schedules are posted at the link in my signature for most mainstream cruiselines.

I am surprised that on your ship, Carnival kept all of the activities for the 6-8 in the camp. Usually for that age they do start to scatter. Carnival runs the program that for the youngest (2-5), they stay in the camp, mostly, then as the kids age, the activities are moved off throughout the ship -- even doing a swimming under the stars.

I don't remember Disney doing anything out of the kids club.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean were equally matched for that. The scavenger hunts are all over the ship and Carnival had 1-2/day. Maybe try it when your kids are in the older 9 and above group?

All kids club pages/schedules are posted at the link in my signature for most mainstream cruiselines.

I am surprised that on your ship, Carnival kept all of the activities for the 6-8 in the camp. Usually for that age they do start to scatter. Carnival runs the program that for the youngest (2-5), they stay in the camp, mostly, then as the kids age, the activities are moved off throughout the ship -- even doing a swimming under the stars.

I don't remember Disney doing anything out of the kids club.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean were equally matched for that. The scavenger hunts are all over the ship and Carnival had 1-2/day. Maybe try it when your kids are in the older 9 and above group?

the 2-5 are on one side and the 6-8 kids are on the other side. THey are always in the camp rooms. Never doing swimming. (what a liability that will be) the reason they stay in one area-- is it is easier to control. Moving them about it only takes a second of a kid to get lost)

Now- do other cruiselines move the kids from one area to the next at this age group?

The age group that tends to move about is the 9-11.

Disney is VERY pricey- for our week on the Pride we paid 1477 for 4 people in a premium balcony.

A disney cruise for the same week was gonna cost over 4000/ - (not including transportation)

Last year--Adventure of the Seas (RCI) our 5&6 year old granddaughters were in the Adventure Ocean Kids club in two different age groups and loved all of the activities and interaction with friends. There was also a kids water park that they loved going to with the group. Every moring they begged to go--even when we were in port. Many evenings they begged to go again.

I have cruised on the Holland America Eorodam twice and both times the took my sons group 3-7 year olds out to the basketball courts to play twice during the cruise but the rest of the time i think they stayed in the kids club.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Keith.

I am considering Disney and yes, I think I did hear this about Princess. Any knowledge on where I can find out more?

Have you looked at member reviews or the editorial pages on Cruise Critic yet? They've got awesome content beyond the boards...

Archived