Pacific Pearl Cabin Selection Question

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. We are about to book our first P&O cruise on Pacfic Pearl. The cabin we are looking at is 9119 it is a obsructed ocean view cabin. The diagram has it running in a different direction to the other cabins, does anyone know anything about this cabin? It also appears to be only slightly obstructed. As we will probably book this today any help would assist.

Thanks Cheryle

Looking at the deck plans this cabin is the very first of the 'obstructed view' cabins and I think you're right, it' is only slightly obstructed. You should be able to see clearly out the whole window, the tender hangs further back than this cabin window.

It will run in a different direction, I'm not sure as to the exact layout but it should be the same size as a normal cabin.

Looking at the deck plans this cabin is the very first of the 'obstructed view' cabins and I think you're right, it' is only slightly obstructed. You should be able to see clearly out the whole window, the tender hangs further back than this cabin window.

It will run in a different direction, I'm not sure as to the exact layout but it should be the same size as a normal cabin.

Thanks for the reply. That is what we thought!. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in an obstructed ocean view and would be interested in their opinions!

Thanks for the reply. That is what we thought!. Just wondering if anyone has stayed in an obstructed ocean view and would be interested in their opinions!

We stayed in an obstructed ocean view cabin on Pearl at Easter....No probs at all, still had pretty much all the view, depending on your cruise length and tender ports though as if it is a tender boat obstructing they are quite noisy when they lower (early hours of morn) Our cruise only had 2 ports and only one was a tender so didnt worry us but if it was a longer cruise with a lot of tender ports it may worry you... I should check, is your obstructed view a tender boat or a life boat, if its a life boat, heres hoping they wont lower it at all :p Fiona

We stayed in an obstructed ocean view cabin on Pearl at Easter....No probs at all, still had pretty much all the view, depending on your cruise length and tender ports though as if it is a tender boat obstructing they are quite noisy when they lower (early hours of morn) Our cruise only had 2 ports and only one was a tender so didnt worry us but if it was a longer cruise with a lot of tender ports it may worry you... I should check, is your obstructed view a tender boat or a life boat, if its a life boat, heres hoping they wont lower it at all :p Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me whether you had plenty of room in your cabin? There will only be 2 of us!

This cruise has 3 tender ports, but if we are aware of the noise, well, we will just have to get used to it. Any idea how I can find out it they are tender boats or life boats? What cabin did you stay in (if you don't mind me asking) and did you have plenty of light coming into your cabin.

Any information is appreciated. We have only ever had balcony cabins, but as we are retired and want to cruise regularly, then we would like to try an obstructed ocean view and the price is great on this particular cruise!

Thanks Cheryle

I was in 9121 obstructed which was a lifeboat and I could see straight above it....almost zip obstruction. Great size cabin, plenty of room for 2.

Thanks Deb for that information, sorry you are not joining us now on the Diamond Princess cruise!

Thanks Deb for that information, sorry you are not joining us now on the Diamond Princess cruise!

Your welcome :D

And ditto........and my alternate plans got sunk by work today also. I seriously need to reconsider my working environment! :mad:

Your welcome :D

And ditto........and my alternate plans got sunk by work today also. I seriously need to reconsider my working environment! :mad:

Hi Deb,

Sorry about your plans not working out. I know from your posts you love Rhapsody as much as I do, and this includes JS 8088 AFT!

Cheryle:)

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me whether you had plenty of room in your cabin? There will only be 2 of us!

This cruise has 3 tender ports, but if we are aware of the noise, well, we will just have to get used to it. Any idea how I can find out it they are tender boats or life boats? What cabin did you stay in (if you don't mind me asking) and did you have plenty of light coming into your cabin.

Any information is appreciated. We have only ever had balcony cabins, but as we are retired and want to cruise regularly, then we would like to try an obstructed ocean view and the price is great on this particular cruise!

Thanks Cheryle

Hi Cheryle, We were in cabins 9142 and 9144, heaps of light so no worries there. Also quite spacious for 2. So much bigger than Princess and RCCL . Nice flat screen tv's pivoted from wall so not taking up any shelf space... Heaps of drawers and hanging space, we didnt use half of it. Our suitcases fitted under beds, which was good as previous ships we had been on they didnt fit under beds. Just make sure you take some coat hangers as there is only the wooden hangers with the metal rings, where you take off wooden hanger and the top part of hanger stays on rail (like in some hotel rooms) Sorry, that probably sounded so confusing for such a simple thing.. lol Fiona

We had an obstructed view on Pacific Dawn - it was good value (especially as how I had only paid for an interior and got upgraded) :p

In a few weeks we will be on Pac Pearl - in cabin 8122. This cabin is also an obstructed view - but I am expecting it to be completely obstructed. If you look closely at the deckplan, you can see that the obstructed views are on Decks 8 & 9. On deck 9 you look over the lifeboats, on deck 8 you look right at the lifeboats hull! But this cabin also runs fore and aft - and looks like it is larger than the usual.

Barry

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. It is all greatly appreciated. I think we will book today. The prices at present are great on cruises in the next couple of months. Hopefully the ship will be fine. I have been reading some reviews and they seem the be mixed. People either love or hate the ship! We haven't cruised P&O before only RCCL and have booked our first Princess cruise for November, so this should be interesting!

Cheryle

We had an obstructed view on Pacific Dawn - it was good value (especially as how I had only paid for an interior and got upgraded) :p

In a few weeks we will be on Pac Pearl - in cabin 8122. This cabin is also an obstructed view - but I am expecting it to be completely obstructed. If you look closely at the deckplan, you can see that the obstructed views are on Decks 8 & 9. On deck 9 you look over the lifeboats, on deck 8 you look right at the lifeboats hull! But this cabin also runs fore and aft - and looks like it is larger than the usual.

Barry

Barry, we cruised on the Pacific Jewel and we had cabin 8116...an obstructed view but we could see over the tender but we were above the Connexions Bar and it can get noisy....the Pearl has the same layout so i'm warning you about the noise that you might get

bob

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. It is all greatly appreciated. I think we will book today. The prices at present are great on cruises in the next couple of months. Hopefully the ship will be fine. I have been reading some reviews and they seem the be mixed. People either love or hate the ship! We haven't cruised P&O before only RCCL and have booked our first Princess cruise for November, so this should be interesting!

Cheryle

Hi there, We loved Pearly :D We have cruised on Dawn Princess, Rhapsody as well as other P&O and honestly, I preferred Pearly, sure Rhapsody and Princess ships were classier etc.. but the atmosphere, staff, size of cabins, shows , I could not fault found to be sooo much better than the other ships, (except the theatre, that was a shocker) not very much viewing space at all..(and getting off on tenders was a bit more of a drama

than the other ships)as she has not long ago had refurbishment there were so many areas that were like brand new, eg.. the public toilets were just so modern and like a 5 star hotel (not that you will spend much time in there :p hopefully....) but was just an example...We are booked on Diamond Princess Dec, so that will be interesting..

You will love Pearly.....

p.s.. Make sure you book the Salt Grill as soon as you onboard, just ring from your room, it books out soooooo fast..

Fiona

Hi there, We loved Pearly :D We have cruised on Dawn Princess, Rhapsody as well as other P&O and honestly, I preferred Pearly, sure Rhapsody and Princess ships were classier etc.. but the atmosphere, staff, size of cabins, shows , I could not fault found to be sooo much better than the other ships, (except the theatre, that was a shocker) not very much viewing space at all..(and getting off on tenders was a bit more of a drama

than the other ships)as she has not long ago had refurbishment there were so many areas that were like brand new, eg.. the public toilets were just so modern and like a 5 star hotel (not that you will spend much time in there :p hopefully....) but was just an example...We are booked on Diamond Princess Dec, so that will be interesting..

You will love Pearly.....

p.s.. Make sure you book the Salt Grill as soon as you onboard, just ring from your room, it books out soooooo fast..

Fiona

Thanks for the information Fiona,

Well, I have just booked! We leave on the 10th August, can't believe the prices at present plus OBC's. Every one has been great with their views on the ship and the oceanview obstructed and I am sure we will be fine. We are not a young couple (well, young at heart) so I hope the age demographics will be fine for us. That is the reason we have stayed away from P&O in the past.

The only thing that was of concern, was the dinner seating. I had hoped we could have traditional dining. We usually have set seating as my DH has a hearing problem and it is better for us to have the same table, plus same waitstaff each night. I rang P&O last night and they advised that we could not request a table for 2, but could be seated at either 4, 6 or 8. This will not work for us and DH's hearing problem. Once I have my booking no. I might email P&O and see if I can make some sort of arrangements.

We are on the Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney cruise in November, so I will look after the ship for you!

Thanks again, and if you have any more information, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheryle

The only thing that was of concern, was the dinner seating. I had hoped we could have traditional dining. We usually have set seating as my DH has a hearing problem and it is better for us to have the same table, plus same waitstaff each night. I rang P&O last night and they advised that we could not request a table for 2, but could be seated at either 4, 6 or 8. This will not work for us and DH's hearing problem. Once I have my booking no. I might email P&O and see if I can make some sort of arrangements.

Cheryle

Hi Cheryle,

When I was on the Pacific Jewel last year (would pretty much be the same I think dinner wise to the Pacific Pearl), my BF and I always sat alone at the Waterfront Restaurant Maybe no one wanted to sit with us:eek:. We would pre-book our table the night before, and just ask for a table for 2, we did not have a single night where we had to share a table. So I doubt you would have any problems:D But that's really weird that P&O would tell you that you had to be seated as 4, 6 or 8s:confused:

Hi Cheryle,

When I was on the Pacific Jewel last year (would pretty much be the same I think dinner wise to the Pacific Pearl), my BF and I always sat alone at the Waterfront Restaurant Maybe no one wanted to sit with us:eek:. We would pre-book our table the night before, and just ask for a table for 2, we did not have a single night where we had to share a table. So I doubt you would have any problems:D But that's really weird that P&O would tell you that you had to be seated as 4, 6 or 8s:confused:

Perhaps I misunderstood the telephone sales person at P&O. :confused: I hope so, but I did get off the phone thinking that this could be a problem. It certainly has never been with any other cruise line, so I hope this is not the case on P&O. I did think if we went to dinner early, this might also help!:)

Thanks for the information Fiona,

Well, I have just booked! We leave on the 10th August, can't believe the prices at present plus OBC's. Every one has been great with their views on the ship and the oceanview obstructed and I am sure we will be fine. We are not a young couple (well, young at heart) so I hope the age demographics will be fine for us. That is the reason we have stayed away from P&O in the past.

We are on the Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney cruise in November, so I will look after the ship for you!

Thanks again, and if you have any more information, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheryle

Hi Cheryle,

When we were on Pearl we pretty much had traditional dining anyway. The first night at the dining room we really got on well with the waiters so as we were leaving we would book that same table for the next night. We did this every night so every night we dined at the same time with the same waiters at the same table... Fiona:)

Hi Cheryle,

When we were on Pearl we pretty much had traditional dining anyway. The first night at the dining room we really got on well with the waiters so as we were leaving we would book that same table for the next night. We did this every night so every night we dined at the same time with the same waiters at the same table... Fiona:)

Thanks Fiona,

This is what we will do, the first night could be the only problem, but we will work it out! I am thinking that if we pick a time say around 6.00 - 6.30pm, their could be less congestion and this might work out!

Just another question.......Tipping......I understand there is no daily charge? Do you just tip as you go, and is there a tip put on the drinks?

Thanks Cheryle:confused:

Thanks Fiona,

This is what we will do, the first night could be the only problem, but we will work it out! I am thinking that if we pick a time say around 6.00 - 6.30pm, their could be less congestion and this might work out!

Just another question.......Tipping......I understand there is no daily charge? Do you just tip as you go, and is there a tip put on the drinks?

Thanks Cheryle:confused:

You are right no tipping added on.. Was taken off all P&O ships last year sometime... It is entirely up to you what you do. Some people dont tip at all, some tip different people at end of cruise. Sometimes we tip our steward at beginning of cruise (sometimes they do extra things for you..lol) then maybe at end of cruise. On Pearly we only tipped cabin steward a small amount and our waiters on the last night... Quite a few people we spoke to didnt tip at all, so whatever you comfy with is ok..Think thats where it is so diff to cruise lines like Princess, where it is expected of you and frowned upon if you dont.. If you have any queries, please ask away..love talking about Pearly..:p Fiona

No tips put on drinks.

You are right no tipping added on.. Was taken off all P&O ships last year sometime... It is entirely up to you what you do. Some people dont tip at all, some tip different people at end of cruise. Sometimes we tip our steward at beginning of cruise (sometimes they do extra things for you..lol) then maybe at end of cruise. On Pearly we only tipped cabin steward a small amount and our waiters on the last night... Quite a few people we spoke to didnt tip at all, so whatever you comfy with is ok..Think thats where it is so diff to cruise lines like Princess, where it is expected of you and frowned upon if you dont.. If you have any queries, please ask away..love talking about Pearly..:p Fiona

No tips put on drinks.

Thanks Fiona,

I am sure I will come up with many more questions between now and August.

Cheryle

Thanks Fiona,

Cheryle

No worries..... One of our friends are booked on your cruise and looking forward to.... I wish I was joining you.. You will love it, there are so many public places to go and it never seems crowded, think thats what I liked the most about it.. Our kids liked as there were computers everywhere, not just in the internet lounge, they were scattered all around ship, few here and there, like in coffee shops top deck and coffee shops on lower decks etc...was handy as our eldest was waiting to hear about Uni marks so she popped on all over the place....The ladies in the coffee cafe on top deck were georgeous.... Fiona

Thanks Fiona,

Cheryle

i have a question for you Cheryle.... Is it true that Diamond Princess do not do towel animals :eek: shock horror??? I heard or read it somewhere.......Fiona

i have a question for you Cheryle.... Is it true that Diamond Princess do not do towel animals :eek: shock horror??? I heard or read it somewhere.......Fiona

Hi Fiona,

I heard the same, but for us (please don't think I do not appreciate them!)

I don't mind. I think I have seem every animal known to man.

I am sure someone else will let us both know, otherwise I can let you know in November/December.

I know more about Rhapsody, that is by far my favorite ship!:)

I got them :D But they're not as frequent as on P&O. I think they have towel animal selective days :p

Archived