Jewel of the Seas

Any comments, tips, suggestions regarding sailing on the Jewel of the Seas. I've seen very little about this ship on the Boards. Thanks.

Jewel is our favorite RCI ship and is very popular. Four of our next five cruises will be on her. Check out some of the threads on the Meet & Mingle boards to see how many people are repeat passengers on Jewel. Along with the wonderful Sea View cafe, the open air aft section of the Windjammer is a great spot to eat breakfast or lunch, the solarium with its retractable glass roof is climate controlled and allows you to swim and relax in comfort regardless of the weather conditions. There is a cinema with stadium seating just forward of the Sports Bar if you want to watch a movie during your cruise and the aft lounge is a great spot to sit and read with great big windows looking out on the ship's wake. Be sure to check out the Flamingos on Deck 13. If you have specific questions, ask them and someone is sure to have the answer.

We love the outdoor seating area in the WJ....don't care for the covered Solarium, tho...I want to tan in an adult area (not topless, just quiet!), and the roof doesn't allow tanning to happen.

The ship is lovely. You'll have a great time.

We love the outdoor seating area in the WJ....don't care for the covered Solarium, tho...I want to tan in an adult area (not topless, just quiet!), and the roof doesn't allow tanning to happen.

While the glass may filter out or reduce the UVA rays I believe it will not do the same for UVB rays. I wouldn't count on it preventing you from getting skin damage from exposure to the sun, and would recommend liberal use of sunscreen whether you sit by the outdoor pool or inside the Solarium. Check out factual information about both UVA and UVB rays before deciding just how much protection that glass roof in the Solarium actually provides.

O/T note: Hey cb....the solarium was actually open on Serenade in Barbados. First time I have ever seen it open on a Radiance or Vision class ship: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Southern%20Caribbean/SouthernCaribbeanDisk2053.jpg[/img]"]SouthernCaribbeanDisk2053.jpg

O/T note: Hey cb....the solarium was actually open on Serenade in Barbados. First time I have ever seen it open on a Radiance or Vision class ship: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Southern%20Caribbean/SouthernCaribbeanDisk2053.jpg[/img]"]SouthernCaribbeanDisk2053.jpg

Don't worry, despite your photographic evidence to the contrary, she will continue to post that her insistence that the roof is NEVER opened.:rolleyes:

we have just got back from a 12 day cruise scandinavia & russia ship was fab - so were the crew.

We used the seaview cafe on occassions. We had fabulous weather so we sat outside rather than the solarium poll area - although it was a quiet area to read a book.

Please search for Bionicman97 s review of Jewel( March Or April 2011if I recall!). He has great photos and lots and lots of details about the ship( as well as his family life;)) I'm sorry I don't have the link handy, but it's a very nice review of Jewel with lots of ?s and answers which should give you lots of info!

Honestly, all the reviews I've read have been great and I only started researching after I booked. Jewel was my only short cruise option from Tampa, but now I'm excited!

Ahh here it is...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1403828

Enjoy!

That was a big plus for us too. There was nothing like eating outside. The view was great. Kudos to the crew too.

Having two kids (6&4) we didn't get to enjoy the Solarium, but we did walk through it several times. Very nice.

I'd have to say out of all of the ships we have been on it ranks at the top.

Matt

Please search for Bionicman97 s review of Jewel( March Or April 2011if I recall!). He has great photos and lots and lots of details about the ship( as well as his family life;)) I'm sorry I don't have the link handy, but it's a very nice review of Jewel with lots of ?s and answers which should give you lots of info!

Honestly, all the reviews I've read have been great and I only started researching after I booked. Jewel was my only short cruise option from Tampa, but now I'm excited!

Ahh here it is...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1403828

Enjoy!

We were on that same cruise with bionicman97. We even took some of the same photos. Great cruise.

Don't worry, despite your photographic evidence to the contrary, she will continue to post that her insistence that the roof is NEVER opened.:rolleyes:

And that the glass totally blocks those dangerous UVA and UVB rays that can burn your skin.:rolleyes:

Archived