Hopefully short and definitely sweet review of our Enchantment cruising

Well, I am definitely not a very good writer, but I wanted to post a short review of our 9 night cruise on the Enchantment; as we just got back yesterday and things are still fresh in my mind; I wanted to post a little something in case anyone had any questions about the Enchantment, ports, etc.

Short breakdown, me and DH (both 40-somethings), DS 20, DS20's friend; and DS 15 went on our third cruise (1st cruise for the friend who is now converted to the wonderful world of cruising), we have cruised the RC Voyager, Oasis and now the Enchantment; I have decided that I like a smaller to medium size ship, even though the Oasis is a unique and beautiful one of a kind cruise; both the Voyager and Enchantment had so many, many things to do while I think the Oasis kind of relies on the ship and all of its bells and whistles to entertain; just my two cents; I believe our group of 5 were the only Texans on board this ship besides Aubrey from Ft. Hood who worked for RC!

We absolutely loved the Enchantment; beautiful ship showing a little bit of age but very clean and unique; service was impeccable, from the room steward, to the waiters, to guest relations, etc; we ate at either the Windjammer or had room service for breakfast; Windjammer for lunch; and MDR late seating for dinner; Windjammer was good; MDR was delicious; our Waiter and Assistant Waiter were the best hands down; no smells of sewage, etc as some have reported, we were on the 7th deck and I walked both the stairs and the ship and never smelled anything out of whack; loved, loved, loved this ship

First port of San Juan - I think all of us rated this as our favorite; we had the best tour ever with Victor Balbin of Countryside Tours; he is very polite, knowledgeable and eager to please; met us right there as we got off the ship and we were off to tour the Rainforest and then the city; wonderful, wonderful time, even though we were soaking wet from rain in the Rainforest; we always make the best of everything though and just laughed it off; Victor told us us a story about being blessed by the rain and believe me we were thoroughly blessed; if anyone is looking for a guide or someone to pick them up from the airport and show them around town I would highly recommend him

Second port St. Thomas - we have been here before and love, love, love this port; took the Ferry to St. John to the beach and to snorkel; going to St. John cuts some time from the port stop but is so worth it; but we were still able to do a little shoppping in St. Thomas before getting back on the ship; awesome

Third port to Samana - wow; I can only describe this as our most unique port stop ever; I wish I could put how I feel in words but it is very difficult; it is no reflection on our excursion but there are so many contradictions to Samana I cannot describe it; Tours with Terry ATV excursion was unique in of itself, the tour guides were great; the one thing I can say is I am glad our boys had the opportunity to see the people and a lot of poverty, I want them to have all experiences and have their eyes opened; all three boys said it was an amazing experience

Fourth port to Labadee - my least favorite stop, me and DH didn't stay long, DS 15 stayed a little longer and DS20 and his friend stayed for quite a while playing volleyball; it was just a little too commercialized for my tastes but to each their own; boys said the volleyball was what made the stop good:)

Sea days were wonderful, relaxing, eating, going to activities, eating, bingo, eating, attending shows, eating; CD Carly B was top notch; she has so much energy and enthusiasm; all the RC staff were polite, gracious and I love talking to them; as usual I booked our June 2012 cruise while on this ship; I had entertained the thought of going on a Princess cruise to Alaska next year but many other things came into play that made me change it to the RC Rhapsody to Alaska

Any questions I can answer I will try; like I said I am not witty or humorous, I am a "facts and just the facts" type of person; from our group of five our overall cruise on Enchantment was definitely an A+

Great review!

Enchantment is one ship we're considering for next year. When we finally decide to plan, I'll find you for questions!

We're going on the Rhapsody in August so if you need anything let me know.

Great review...we are leaving on Enchantment 6/16 but heading North to Canada/New England...having been on Grandeur a few years ago we are somewhat familiar with this ship. One day we will try an Oasis-size ship, hopefully...did you notice any young kids in the Solarium Pool? I've heard that that is a problem...who is Cruise Director?

Thanks!!

dave

Thanks Walt Fan, enjoyed your review. I also agree with you about the Oasis, I was starting to think I’m the only one who didn’t think it was the best cruise ever. While we enjoyed the cruise, out of 11cruises all together it was my least favorite. Glad you had a good time.

Dave: No young kids in Solarium hot tub or pool that I could see; they were around the Solarium snack bar at times but no problems there; the pizza, hot dogs and burgers were too big of a temptation:) CD Carly B from Wales was awesome, but I think she was just filling in while a couple was on vacation (I cannot remember their names, sorry)

Glad to hear you had a great time! We were on that same cruise last year... 6/3-6/12. We also did a tour with Terry in Samana but did the horseback riding to the waterfall. Pretty cool tour, even though we were riding the horses in the middle of a thunderstorm! :eek:

We were just on the Allure in January, and although we loved the ship, too, we still prefer the Voyager class (although we haven't been on the Freedom class yet)... just the right size with lots to do... love that Royal Promenade!

However, we have booked the Enchantment again for next January, this time for 12 nights! Hopefully we will enjoy her as much as we did the first time! :)

Great review...we are leaving on Enchantment 6/16 but heading North to Canada/New England...having been on Grandeur a few years ago we are somewhat familiar with this ship. One day we will try an Oasis-size ship, hopefully...did you notice any young kids in the Solarium Pool? I've heard that that is a problem...who is Cruise Director?

Thanks!!

dave

I was on a cruise with 900 kids, and only on the last day did folks ignore the "no kids" prohibition. Keep in mind 16 year olds are allowed in, and they can monopolize a hot tub mighty fast<G>

John Blair was the CD and his wife Katrina the activities director. Upbeat couple.

el henry

Thanks!!

dave

Spanky we are on the cruise with you June 16th. We did the Enchanement Feb 28th. The only time we had kids in the solarium was windy day that they allowed children in the solarium. Just one that hollowed "delete "thoughts. They have a husband and wife combo as cruise director. Great but can be corny. Oasis is great but a one time wonder. Freedom of Sea was better in my estimation.

Danielle: Thanks for the invite for questions on the Rhapsody; did you do the Seattle Alaska route? If so, was Tracy Arms glacier viewing really good? I know everyone recommends Hubbard Bay or College Fjord; I am just glad to be there and figure all of the scenery will be pretty amazing. Do you have any insight as to what the itinenrary means by "Juneau/Inside Glacier"? Do you port and stay awhile in Juneau and then do glacier viewing? That one threw me. The sales agent on board wasn't sure; even though very helpful and very nice. I love the fact that if you book another cruise on board your deposit is so affordable.

I wish I could cruise more than once a year and experience all of the different RC classes; but time and money interfere. I will take what I can get though!

Hey Beach1...I know you :) or, I will in a couple days :)

Spanky we are on the cruise with you June 16th. We did the Enchanement Feb 28th. The only time we had kids in the solarium was windy day that they allowed children in the solarium. Just one that hollowed "delete "thoughts. They have a husband and wife combo as cruise director. Great but can be corny. Oasis is great but a one time wonder. Freedom of Sea was better in my estimation.

John Blair was the CD and his wife Katrina the activities director. Upbeat couple.

el henry

They have a husband and wife combo as cruise director. Great but can be corny.

John and Katrina Blair are both gone. We had them on Grandeur, expected them for our 5/28-6/2 sailing on Enchantment -- but we had cruise director "Carly".

• 2 weeks later...

We were in a Cat. H on deck 3 - no fridge...the Solarium was shut the whole time - we had rain, cooler weather so for the most part it was nice. It possibly should have been open a "crack" to exhaust some of the heat on a few days though, as it was like a greenhouse in there.

Archived