Pearl to Alaska dinner dress survey

sxmnov08

On our cruise, very few really dressed up. I did talk to one couple that were very dressed up in a tux an long gown. I would guess that maybe 10-20% wore a suit or sport coat. There were many people dressed very casually on those nights.

Enough that you won't feel strange. I'd say the 20% estimate has been about right for our cruises. One dining room is usually more formal than the other. On any given non-formal night, I'd say 10-20% dress "up" (dresses, dress shirt and "slacks"), 30-40% dress business casual (khakis, pants and nice top, casual dress), and 40-50% are in shorts, jeans or khakis with a casual top.

I dress how I feel appropriate in the MDR and honestly have never regretted being more dressed up than others. It feels good to dress up for dinner, and nobody ever looks at us weird. We never do formal night as intended, but we still wear a dress and tie. I do love looking at everyone that DOES go all out and applaud them for making a cruise really special.

Enough that you won't feel strange. I'd say the 20% estimate has been about right for our cruises. One dining room is usually more formal than the other. On any given non-formal night, I'd say 10-20% dress "up" (dresses, dress shirt and "slacks"), 30-40% dress business casual (khakis, pants and nice top, casual dress), and 40-50% are in shorts, jeans or khakis with a casual top.

I dress how I feel appropriate in the MDR and honestly have never regretted being more dressed up than others. It feels good to dress up for dinner, and nobody ever looks at us weird. We never do formal night as intended, but we still wear a dress and tie. I do love looking at everyone that DOES go all out and applaud them for making a cruise really special.

Your info (20%) is a little contradicting.

Is your 20% (suits) estimate for "dress up" night?

havent done Alaska on NCL but on all our cruises 25% or less have participated in the DRESS UP or NOT nights and never really have experienced the one MDR more formal than the other on 9 NCL cruises on 4 different ships but none to Alaska so maybe that differs.

We are leavin Sunday on the Pearl and we aren't packing anything to dress up with. This feels really weird to me since I always dress up at least two night and the rest in business casual. But since there are so much other stuff like jackets, coats, bug spray, etc. It will not take up the extra needed space. I just hope we dont stick out like a sore thumb!!!

You will not stick out like a sore thumb! We were on the Pearl for the first Alaska cruise of the season, and it was very casual. While you did see some suits etc, it was the exception, not the rule. Just go have fun!!!!

We took the Pearl to Alaska last year. I didn't even bring a sport coat and never felt out of place. One recommendation is order room service for breakfast in Glacier Bay if you have a balcony. It is worth the trip all by itself!

I don't recall how many dressed up last summer on the Pearl to Alaska, but it was very few.

You didn't ask, but........ Because of the weight limits and prices of checking bags on airlines, many (most?) ditch the dress up stuff for warm clothes. On top of that, NCL seems to be the most casual line around.

Your info (20%) is a little contradicting.

Is your 20% (suits) estimate for "dress up" night?

I thought you were generally asking how much people dressed up on any given night (not just "dress up or not" or "formal" night). On our past four cruises on NCL, I'd say 10-20% dress UP on any given night...a little higher on "formal/dress up or not night." The rest are a mix of business casual and casual. In groups/couples, I see women dressed up more often than men. You often have a woman in a nice dress and heels, and the man in a business or resort casual outfit, so the estimates get a little wonky.

We are leavin Sunday on the Pearl and we aren't packing anything to dress up with. This feels really weird to me since I always dress up at least two night and the rest in business casual. But since there are so much other stuff like jackets, coats, bug spray, etc. It will not take up the extra needed space. I just hope we dont stick out like a sore thumb!!!

We are doing the same thing. with luggage limits on the plane to get to Seattle one of the things being left out of our luggage is formal attire.

I wouldn't (and we didn't) take any dress-up clothing on the Alaska cruise. By its nature, this is a very casual cruise, and you're better off using your luggage space for extra layers, including heavier clothing than you think you might need.

On NCL cruises in general, my rough guess is 10% to 15% of the people on board will dress for "formal" night. It's a custom that's simply fading away now that it's no longer required.

Archived