Looking for a WL buddy... sailing Feb 2012

brokenglass

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome! My rat for today was that I chose not to go to the gym. I did my aerobic and weights combo yesterday and I was really sore this AM. Today was my only real full day off from work this week except Thanksgiving and I wanted to sleep in and relax today. On a positive note I stayed within my calorie count, 1290 for the day, including 4 measured ounces of red wine at 85 calories. I feel hungry right now and I think I am going to have a 1/2 bananna as opposed to something that would not be a good choice. I am afraid that if I don't I'll be hungry in the middle of the night, which has happened to me before. I hate waking up at 2-3 AM because I am hungry. I've already tried my 8th glass of water for the day, and it's not cutting it, LOL! I also reactivated my account at sparkpeople.com today. I have been looking for a good site to track calories and exercise and I like this one. The food tracker search engine is really easy to use and adding a custom food item is also very easy. Overall it feels like a successful day; I hope everyone feels that way about their day as well. Laurie

I joined sparkpeople as well...I am not real good at getting on and logging it though.

I did very well yesterday on my eating and drinking water...tons of water! I even ran/walked hills last night.

Cocktails and wine are what kill my calorie count for sure...trying to limit that...and Thursday is THANKSGIVING...and Saturday is my birthday! Do calories count on your birthday?? :(

Are any of you on Pinterest? There are some good fitness/motivation stuff on there...it is addictive, just don't look at the food!!

This week was my worst since I started, yet I'm still not eating and drinking nearly as much as I used to...no wonder I need to lose 20-30 lbs! I rode my bike to dinner on Thanksgiving day (25 miles) so I think I broke even despite my turkey day feast. Things went downhill from there, however, with drinks and a late dinner on Friday, and another family Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. It's back to the plan today. 'Tis the season, let's keep each other motivated to stay on track during the holidays! :)

This week was my worst since I started, yet I'm still not eating and drinking nearly as much as I used to...no wonder I need to lose 20-30 lbs! I rode my bike to dinner on Thanksgiving day (25 miles) so I think I broke even despite my turkey day feast. Things went downhill from there, however, with drinks and a late dinner on Friday, and another family Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. It's back to the plan today. 'Tis the season, let's keep each other motivated to stay on track during the holidays! :)

Good for you for biking to dinner! I am so frustrated with lack of movement in the weight or shape department. I am still tracking on sparkpeople and staying well below 1300 calories per day and still not moving the scale. I am starting to wonder of I am going to stop all alcohol (it's included in my calorie count, a weight-measured 5 ounces of wine) because it justs sits on my waistline. How are the rest of you doing? Laurie

Laurie, believe it or not you might not be eating enough calories! If you're working out a lot *and* staying below 1300 per day for an extended period of time, your body might be in "saving" mode because it's not getting quite enough to eat. Your body burns roughly 21-2200 calories or so per day. Staying in the 12-1300 range is supposed to put most people in the 800-1000 calorie deficit per day without exercise. So if you're burning 300-500 calories every time you work out, you might try bumping up your intake on those days. Don't go crazy, but see if that helps. It's helped me! :)

I've had a rough week or two. Several coworkers were recently laid off, and work has been very stressful lately :( Not surprisingly, I haven't been great about keeping up with exercise and calorie count...but I also haven't been very hungry either. Several people have commented it looks like I've lost weight. Vacation can't get here fast enough, I really do need to just get away from everything. Hope everyone else is doing well....

OK...so it seems some of us fell off the wagon so to speak with Thanksgiving and the upcoming holiday season. I love making holiday goodies and it is hard not to enjoy them. :(

Here is what I am doing and when I really stick to it I am losing more weight... I have to force myself to eat something in the morning, so I eat 1 egg and 1 piece of that Sara Lee 45 calorie bread (toasted). I just put the egg on the toast, a dash of tabasco and that is it. I can have 1 cup of coffee...then it is hot green tea and water is excess! I have a water bottle on my desk at work...must drink 4 of those per day!

Soup for lunch...I like those Progresso Light soups...maybe a small salad with veggies and I use that Wishbone spray dressing (1 calorie per spray)... And I snack on fruit...usually a piece during the day and 1 in the evening.

At night I just portion control what I fix the family...try to cut the carbs...no bun with a burger...veggies, no pasta, or very little pasta (i love pasta). I just try to double the veggies and fix a lean meat.

As for exercise...I hate exercise...I am lazy about it. I have a huge hill outside my house and I have made myself twice go out and run down the hill and hard walk up the hill in sets of 5...I know this would take some fat off me if I would keep it up.

I could also be doing squats and sit ups...I could be doing that RIGHT NOW instead of sitting on my butt typing this message...:mad:

Ok...so I have 66 days til my cruise...I am motivated...let's go...

Laurie, believe it or not you might not be eating enough calories! If you're working out a lot *and* staying below 1300 per day for an extended period of time, your body might be in "saving" mode because it's not getting quite enough to eat. Your body burns roughly 21-2200 calories or so per day. Staying in the 12-1300 range is supposed to put most people in the 800-1000 calorie deficit per day without exercise. So if you're burning 300-500 calories every time you work out, you might try bumping up your intake on those days. Don't go crazy, but see if that helps. It's helped me! :)

Thanks, you may be right I have loosened up a bit in the last week. If the scale holds I may have finally lost about 1.5 pounds, LOL! We'll see, I'm not ready to believe. Did try on some previously snug clothes that feel a little better. Thanks for the encouragement. Laurie

Gee...where did everyone go? :( I need someone to tell me I am not hungry and I don't have to have Nachos to survive!!

If I really think I HAVE to have something I make it my meal. So if I wanted nachos I would measure say 120-150 calories in chips. Then I would load it with "good" things like beans or chicken and salsa, lettuce, tomatoes (peppers, onions all the veggies you want really) and a little bit of really strong cheese, so it tastes like a lot of cheese but it's not. That way I end up with about a 400 calorie meal that tastes great and was somthing I really wanted.

I really like the sparkpeople site. It's easy to track on and it keeps me from overeating. Sometimes if I'm tempted to eat something I can be stopped by recording the day's foods and realizing I am on the brink of over-eating. Even so, I might choose to have something and have better day tomorrow because if I continue to avoid eating things I really want I'll eventually throw in the towel and overeat, sometimes by a lot. This is OK if it happens once a week, but not if you give in once a day. I have also learned to ask myself, "is this choice getting me where I want to be?" If I have a day where I give in I make sure that I record th food, because I want to look at the whole week st least in terms of marking the days where I was a little self-indulgent.

Different things become motivators for each person; these ideas work for me and I share them in hopes that they help someone else. Kind reagrds, Laurie

Hi all! I haven't been on in a while so thought I'd check in. I'm not losing as quickly as I wanted but I'm still getting results. 13 pounds lost so far and I'm happy about that.

With my new job I'm so busy on the days I work that I either work off some calories or when I get home I'm too tired to snack which used to be a major weakness for me. I find myself popping in a Lean Cuisine for dinner and that is a great way to limit calories. No time to cook or load my plate with more than I need.

Sounds like everyone is motivated, February is coming up quickly! Good luck to everyone and keep at it.

Hi all! I haven't been on in a while so thought I'd check in. I'm not losing as quickly as I wanted but I'm still getting results. 13 pounds lost so far and I'm happy about that.

With my new job I'm so busy on the days I work that I either work off some calories or when I get home I'm too tired to snack which used to be a major weakness for me. I find myself popping in a Lean Cuisine for dinner and that is a great way to limit calories. No time to cook or load my plate with more than I need.

Sounds like everyone is motivated, February is coming up quickly! Good luck to everyone and keep at it.

13 pounds, wow, that sounds like really great progress, congrats!

I lost 4/10 of a pound this past week, and I got into some shorts that I really want to take on the cruise and they were close to comfortable. I have lost about 4 pounds all together and I'd be happy if I lost another 3-4 before we go away. Any progress in the direction of loss is good progress as far as I am concerned! Keep up the great work!

How's everyone else doing? Laurie

I have lost right at 4 pounds. I would really like to lose another 8. I am really watching what I eat this week after this past weekend. We visited friends out of town and I ate horribly! So, healthy eating this week and then on Christmas I will splurge! I have exercised this week. I have to keep that up!!

Glad to see others are dropping a few pounds too!! 52 days til my cruise!!

I have lost right at 4 pounds. I would really like to lose another 8. I am really watching what I eat this week after this past weekend. We visited friends out of town and I ate horribly! So, healthy eating this week and then on Christmas I will splurge! I have exercised this week. I have to keep that up!!

Glad to see others are dropping a few pounds too!! 52 days til my cruise!!

Good for you! I didn't get on the scale at the gym today as I was afraid I'd be disappointed, since not a difference in clothing feeling this week. Will keep going this week, and plan accordingly for our celebration on Christmas eve (I am working Christmas day). Then onward until travel time. I like a glass of wine in the evening, but may have to give it up for a few weeks to jumpstart my loss again. Sigh...:rolleyes: Thanks for checking in, everyone else has dissappeared. Hope that means you are all happy and busy, not because you are bummed....

Laurie

I have been bummed. My diet and all of my good intentions have gone out the window, at least for now. Work is such a bummer it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other. I hope to get back on track and kick things into high gear January 1st, because looking forward to my cruise is one bright spot on the horizon. Glad you're doing well and losing for February! :)

I have been bummed. My diet and all of my good intentions have gone out the window, at least for now. Work is such a bummer it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other. I hope to get back on track and kick things into high gear January 1st, because looking forward to my cruise is one bright spot on the horizon. Glad you're doing well and losing for February! :)

I'm sorry to hear that; it really is challenging when one has to spend so much time in a place that isn't positve. Is there one small choice you could make right now that is manageable and would help you to feel better? Sometimes a few small choices will add up to help us to feel better and get one back on track. Laurie

Sometimes it is just hard to see the goal ahead...just know that every little thing you do will add up to something more!

I really ate poorly over the Christmas weekend, but I am back at it for the work week. So, hard to turn down the leftover goodies for sure!!

I didn't exercise this morning so I am hoping I can motivate myself to do some tonight, even if it is just jumping jacks, squats and sit ups in my bedroom.

Weight up or unchanged last 2 checks, but clothing fits better and I can see the minor change in the stomach overhang so I keep going :D I just ordered a 3 lb hula-hoop on ebay; I tried my daughter's and it was great fun! I was surprised at how much easier it is with a weighted hoop than the one of my teen years that had no weight to it. When it starts to drop you can easily get it back up around your waist by moving a little more quickly. I am looking to find my abs with that thing!! Laurie

Weight up or unchanged last 2 checks, but clothing fits better and I can see the minor change in the stomach overhang so I keep going :D I just ordered a 3 lb hula-hoop on ebay; I tried my daughter's and it was great fun! I was surprised at how much easier it is with a weighted hoop than the one of my teen years that had no weight to it. When it starts to drop you can easily get it back up around your waist by moving a little more quickly. I am looking to find my abs with that thing!! Laurie

Oh wow...that reminds me...we have hula hooping on our Wii Fit! That is a great workout. I can imagine that you are really getting a workout with the weighted hoop!!

I need to buy Just Dance 3 for the Wii...I hear some of my friends are sweating away trying out their dance moves!!

hey everyone! just wanted to drop by and see how everyone is doing.

I totally fell off the diet wagon during the holidays, stopped exercising, eating way to much high-calorie food. BUT I'm back on! I haven't lost any substantial weight, just maintained.. I hope cutting back on sweets and exercising everyday will help me lose more.

Anyways, happy new year to everyone and good luck!! It's almost February :)

Hi everyone, I have 14 weeks before I cruise and have started slimming world diet plan this week , I love the first week , I am so full of enthusiasm and great plans, its just keeping it going thats difficult. Had a cooking/freezing day yesterday, did buckets of homemade veg/lentil soup and vegetarian shepards pie so a few meals in the freezer for when I havent got time to cook so no excuses. Hope everyones new year is off to a good start.

Eileen

Hi all, wow it's good to see so many new posters since I was last here! I have been holding my own since I last posted, no loss to celebrate - but I did make it thru the holidays with only about .5 lb gain which I have already lost again. I have re-set my goal to lose 10 lbs from where I am now by our cruise date, in "only" 52 days! :D I ordered a pair of capris online and they are just a tad snug, but if I shed those 10 lbs they will fit fine - so there is my motivation! LOL I have picked back up on walking too, that always helps me.

So good to see that this thread is still going and that there are so many people here to encourage and help each other - accountability really works for me personally. :)

Archived