arctic circle vs ports lower end of norway

I vote for the Arctic Circle. I love the fjords, and they're beautiful, but I can only spend a few days in the fjords before I feel like I'm no longer in as much awe as I should be. Plus, there is a lot of diversity in the landscape, all of which is gorgeous!

If the Arctic Circle itinerary includes the Lofoten Islands (typically Gravdal or Leknes), I say hands-down do that one. Lofoten is renowned for its beauty all over Norway, and in a country this pretty, that's really saying something! (I'm also particularly fond of Tromsø and think it's a charming little city!)

we missed arctic circle,,due to time constraints,,,had only 2 wks total,,,and with travel,and Copenhagen before and after,,due to air arrangements...but hope to go back ,,,some time,,,fjords were wonderful,,,and varied due to other port stops,,,so if you can,go for it,,,but if not,,,other is wonderful too.....nice problem,,right???:D

I would definitely agree - do the Arctic Circle. The lower Fjords are majestic and spectacular but the Lofoten Islands and Tromso, as already mentioned are a real favourite of ours - and are beautiful in a different kind of way. To spend all your time in the lower Fjords I think will feel a bit of 'more of the same' whereas you extend your experience to include 'something extra' by travelling further north.

If you get to Tromso, apart from the trip up the cable car and Arctic Cathedral try to visit the University Botanical Gardens - just across the road from the berth - and free! It's a collection of Arctic plants from all over the world and in July when we went it was a revelation! I expected it to be rock-hugging plants - but was met with a riot of colour and variety. Fabulous!

The Atlantic Highway is another 'must see' if you go to or near to Kristiansund.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atlantic+highway+pictures&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=4ev&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1S76TfW4C5OChQetvaGnAw&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1262&bih=592

At Alta it's easy to do the Rock paintings yourself - set in an idyllic location on the edge of the fjord - another very different but impressive attraction.

As long as you get to sail down one or two of the long fjords eg Geiranger so that you can experience the imposing mountains and tranquil, delightful little villages, then if it's a 'one off' trip - then I'd say don't miss out on doing the Arctic Circle as well. It's a fantastic trip. Enjoy! :)

Archived