What is the latest word on the fate of the NORWAY?

That is great news...they certainly have the money to buy her and fix her up...let's all hope they are successful in keeping the old Norway from those Indians and their torches!:cool:

I was able to confirm that Sheikh's are working on buying the Norway. My contact in the UAE told me she is in the coastal waters of the UAE.

Seem to contradict this report from the "Times of India" report dated 14 June. I hope your report is true.... ;)

AHMEDABAD: Months after the French battleship Le Clemenceau was sent back before reaching the Alang Sosiya Ship Breaking Yard (ASSBY) in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat, another ship the Blue Lady is heading towards Alang for dismantling and expected to touch Indian waters next week.

But unlike the French aircraft carrier Le Clemenceu which hit the choppy waters because of the environmentalists strong opposition which forced the French government to call back the ship, the sailing has been smooth for Blue Lady (SS Norway).

This 46,000-tonne ship is likely to touch Indian waters between June 18 to June 23 and would be docked in Bhavnagar anchorage where the customs department would carry out inspection and then the Supreme Court-appointed monitoring committee would inspect the vessel before granting beaching permission.

The ship has been purchased by Rajiv Reniwal of Haryana Ship Breakers Pvt Ltd who is optimistic that the Blue Lady will not meet the fate of Le Clemenceu which was made to return to France in February last by the apex court following environmental concerns.

In view of strong opposition by environmentalists who alleged that Clemenceu contained very large quantities of hazardous substances like asbestos and other toxic wastes, the French President Jacques Chirac had ordered Le Clemenceu return to France

She is going back and forth between India and UAE. There is talk of using her as a centerpiece for a waterpark in the UAE. She would basically become a clown ship. I have seen a pic on another board that depicts what she will look like. I will try to find the link.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1108595

There is a lot of information including information from the port authorities in both India and UAE.

Archived