What is the latest word on the fate of the NORWAY?

I was fortunate enough to have been on the NORWAY Dec. 18th 1981.

I just found everything.. all the "Aboard the Norway" Daily activities flyers.. and the wonderful.. full length broadway show brochure.. HELLO DOLLY was the show at the time.

I have the Norway color brochure with pics of the rooms etc.. and the ship Map.. Can't beleive I saved all of this...

I should really scan these and post..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The link is not working. So just copy & paste the url in address bar, and you'll reach the page !

I've been onboard the great lady several times as passenger (and I did work also a year with NCL onboard) and this vessel is part of my life. I did manage also to go onboard last march in Germany... Sad view but that's life !

Take care all

Ced

-------------------------

60 cruises

Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, NCL, Costa, Princess, Cunard, Crystal & Epirotiki

• 4 months later...

I too have fond memories of sailing on the Norway.

I remember the CD talking about how big the ship was and that they had a different color carpet going towards the bow and another color going towards the stern. Determining the color you would know if you were going toward the bow or stern.

Memories......

Any update????? Last I heard was that a sale was pending......

She is still off Port Klang under the name BLUE LADY.

Recent reports (in the last week or so) indicate that she has been sold but the buyer is unknown.

This most likely means she is going to the breakers :( .

She is still off Port Klang under the name BLUE LADY.

Recent reports (in the last week or so) indicate that she has been sold but the buyer is unknown.

This most likely means she is going to the breakers :( .

I don't know.... It seems a few sales have fallen through because of the cost of removing aspestos before scrapping...

I have this sinking suspcion the Norway's ultimate fate will be on the bottom somewhere, resulting in a nice insurance check for her owners...

Better on the bottom then some beach I say...

According to Zee News in an article from OSLO April 24 The 'Blue Lady' ex 'France' ,'Norway' the new owner is one Bangladeshi Lokman Hossain, who owns or runs I guess, Jiri Sudebar steel re-rolling mills in Chittagong.

The article is titled 'Indian firms bid to dismantle asbestos-laden cruise ship'

reported by ZEENEWS.COM.

This has been draging on for along time and anyway you look at it the day is coming when a piece of history will be destroyed. Asbestos or no asbestos and with or without enviromentalists the ship will be destroyed.

This ship perhaps more than any other afloat, except maybe the 'United States' has such a history from its development to its last voyage that its end is so sad.For those who love ships this is a painful process.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of those fortunate few who had the privilege of sailing aboard the Norway in both incarnations--as the France when I was a timid, shy and awkward teenager, and much later as a forty-something when she had become the SS Norway.

I remember the high level of service and the elegance of the France when it was owned by France's CGT, and regret that I spent so much time hiding in my cabin. That was not a mistake I repeated when I sailed aboard her again when she became the Norway; I made it a point to roam all over the ship.

I suppose that Star Cruises' decision to scrap the Norway was probably inevitable, especially since nobody proved willing to put up the money or organization to save her. But I'm saddened anyway.

I was fortunate enough to have sailed the France in 1963. I had just graduated from High School when my aunt and uncle were relocating from Michigan to Brussels. I was offered a free trip to Europe if I would agree to watch my cousins who were 5, 7, 9, 11 and 12 at the time.

Because my Uncle was an executive with Ford, we traveled first class. I flew to Michigan to join them, we all flew to New York to board her, and sail in the late afternoon. We arrived at Southhampton, and then disembarked at La Havre. It was my first sailing experience and we sailed in grand style. The weather was great... the Atlantic in July... The sea was pretty mild although a couple of the kids were seasick for a short time at different times. I ended up spending the rest of the summer in Europe, flying home for start of college. It was a great experience for a 17 year old. :D

I will miss her and wish I had sailed her as the Norway.:(

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed on the Norway in 1998 and 2000. The first trip we were in one of the renovated suites on Fjord deck. We had unbelievable views from windows that practically went from one side of the room to the other. This was just an oceanview stateroom but had many of the old features of the SS France - art deco furniture and wall hangings, a beautiful vanity and marble bathroom, including bathtub. It was much like a mini-suite or junior-suite in some of today's ships.

We fell in love with the Norway that trip. The International lounge (I think that was the name) where they served afternoon tea, was one of the most beautiful rooms I have seen on any cruise line. The statues of Neptune with the beautiful amethyst? crystals was just breathtaking. Both dining rooms were lovely, espcially the one with the deep blue ceiling that looked as if the stars were shining above. Noisy, but beautiful!

Our second trip in 2000 we had an owner's suite on Sky deck with the wrap-around balcony that overlooked the basketball court and pool....we practically lived on that spot!

The art work - I wonder where that went? Some really amazing murals, tapestries and artwork on the ship. We would always discover some new artwork each day.

That last cruise did have some drawbacks, though. We felt that NCL had already given up on the Norway. The food quality and choices had degraded from just two years before. Service in the dining room suffered a bit, too. Probably would not have noticed if we had not been on the ship before. Our table mates were very happy with everything but we noticed the difference.

We were told that because the prices on the Norway were really rock-bottom (one reason we could afford the Owner's Suite) that NCL was not going to invest any time or effort in her. I think they were very understaffed on that second cruise.

Such a shame to see what has happened to that lovely ship. Didn't the Mona Lisa travel on her? We will always treasure our trips on her.

I sailed her the first year NCL put her in the water and then again the next year and then 2 years later. She was gorgeous.

Does anyone remember? One of the bars/lounges was one floor down from the main swimming pool and there were "port holes" behind the bar where you could actually see into the pool and watch the people swimming?

And all the wonderful art. I recall the advertising as mentioning "over one million dollars of original artwork by modern-day masters".

The cabin on my first cruise was way forward, with an upper and lower berth only and was about the size of a British phone booth. It had one porthole.

What a treasure she was. It's a shame the way she is going to end up!

Maritime Matters reports 6-05-06 that the Indian Supreme Court has lifted the (temporary) ban on scrapping the Norway at Alang. The ban was in place due to asbestos issues.

Sea-going tugs have been ordered for the final trip into Alang.

It certainly appears to be the end of Norway.

For two days now Mr. Goossens is saying the SS BLUE LADY is at Fujerah,UAE on his site. I have been unable to find any other reference as to the validity of it. I have not found any untruths on his site in the past and he seems very positive of what he is saying. Facts are facts...there must be someone with direct contacts in the UAE that could verify the ships location.

Of course it is just another last ditch effort in the demise of these old ships but sometimes they work.It's still unlikely to see the SS UNITED STATES or SS INDEPENDANCE come off the dock under their own steam again despite all the stories and promises.

Archived