What is the latest word on the fate of the NORWAY?

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember my first cruise on the Mardi Gras with friends on the Norway. I remember people talking about how big she was. In those pictures she looks so small. Beautiful, but small by today's standards.

I remember as a teenager being sent a brochure on the S/S France back in the 70s. For some reason, I thought it was really cool that one of the dining saloons had an upper level reached by a winding staircase. I can never remember if that was the First or Tourist Class room, but it seems to me, though I could be wrong, that the bi-level room was for First Class and the upper level was for suite and deluxe stateroom occupants. When I took my very first cruise, on the S/S Norway, we were assigned for meals in what was then the Windward Dining Room, which was the other room. The other had been named Leeward. One day in port we had lunch in the Leeward Dining Room because the other was closed and it occured to me that I had read before that the French Line always had a staircase leading into their dining saloons, the 'grande descent.' The Windward's wasn't quite as impressive but it's just interesting how things that you have read in the past come back to you in a deja vous sort of way.

The diningroom with teh second story was actually the second class dining venue. It was lovely in the FRANCE days..

Buut the first class room was spectacular - NCL added more tables & chairs but the murals & entrance are oribinal.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the POA in Miami last weekend... no where near as exciting to watch sail away as the Norway use to be! I am lucky enough to have sailed on Norway, if she was still around Id go again! My firends and I (all 20-30 yrs old) LOVE the modern decor and classic elements. More ships should be designed like she was!

or does getting excited when seeing pictures of the Norway happen to others too. Sailing on the Norway was my first cruise and then the next year I decided to sail her again. There was such magic walking around on that ship at night, the lighting was perfect, the dining room was fantastic. When I see pictures it's just like I can put myself back in time on a chair by the pool. We had so much fun in the afternoons sipping our drink of the day & watching the ocean. Now all you see is ships with the pool all the way on the top deck burried. I tear up thinking about Ms. Norway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We spent our honeymoon April 1994 on the Norway. She is a beautiful ship. Didn't sail again until 2002 on the Voyager of the Seas. Loved the Voyager class ships but nothing compaired to the classy appearance and history of the Norway. You really felt like you were stepping back in time while on board. We had one of the staterooms with one wall of floor to ceiling windows on the pool deck. Bathroom was all marble. It was fantastic. So sorry she's not in service any more. Would have loved to sail on her one more time. I finally just made a scrapbook of our honeymoon pictures and it made me want to sail on her even more. What a shame I'll never get the chance :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first transatlantic was on the France as a college student with a youth fare that cost $225.00. I think it was around 1973? It was the year before she was sold, whenever that was. What a wonderful experience. We found the "secret" stairway to first class so be could buy Cuban cigars and many of the first class passengers came down to "steerage" for the parties. I also remember a few people "streaking" through the dining room. That was a long time ago...but what great memories!

I sailed on the maiden voyage of the Norway in 1980 and that will always stand out in my mind as one of the most exceptional cruising experiences ever. I followed that up with ten more voyages on her, the last in 1999. I must say that it was like people, it's hard to see the wear and tear one undergoes sometimes. The Norway at that point had really been let go and it was like watching a loved one in their last days. I had the opportunity to sail on the Norway in 90/91 while working as a hostess for NCL and again, that ship just had something special about her. She will always have a special place in my heart.

On my first cruise in college in 1988 (NCL Skyward) we had seen the Norway at anchor in St. Thomas. What a gorgeous huge ship she was in those days. I distinctly remember standing on deck while leaving port and someone on deck describing the Norway in great detail From that day on, I swore I would sail on her someday, and about 12 cruises later, I did. Now married, my husband and I booked one of the penthouse suites on the Norway in 2002 and were so glad that we did. I am a fan of the old ocean liners and I really wanted to get to sail on her before she went out of service. We found the "secret passage" under the pool, went to the spa, and sat in the whirlpools in the late evening under the stars and the Huge NORWAY sign. It was a terrific cruise and a wonderful experience. I'm sad to see her go, but I am selfishly happy that I got to cruise on her before her demise!

• 3 weeks later...
To me, FRANCE is the ne plus ultra of post-war Atlantic liners. She was already NORWAY by the time I was born, but I really wish I had the chance to experience her as an Atlantic liner.

FRANCE was different: she had no purpose whatsoever other than prestige, as a ship of state and instrument of peace. Her builders were given a blank cheque and her design and construction was personally directed by De Gaulle. She was really the last true ship of state.

I was fortunate enough to have sailed the France in 1963. I had just graduated from High School when my aunt and uncle were relocating from Michigan to Brussels. I was offered a free trip to Europe if I would agree to watch my cousins who were 5,7,9,11 and 12 at the time.

Because my Uncle was an executive with Ford, we traveled first class. I flew to Michigan to join them, we all flew to New York to board her, and sail in the late afternoon. We arrived at Southhampton, and then disembarked at La Havre. It was my first experience on a grand ship and we sailed in grand style. My aunt and uncle booked late sitting and us kids had early. I remember the first evening in the dining room with all those kids, saying to the waiter I cannot decide between the prime rib or the filet. He said I will bring both...

The weather was great... the Atlantic in July... The sea was pretty mild although a couple of the kids were seasick at different times. I ended up spending the rest of the summer in Europe, flying home for start of college. It was a great experience for a 17 year old.

I too will miss her and wish I had sailed her as the Norway..

I used to work for NCL and a friend of mine happened to be in Germany readying the Pride of America for it’s first voyage and the Norway was in the same dockyard. He managed to take one final tour. His pictures are at

www.CrewNewsletter.cc/Newsletter/0510Norway

Archived