cruise critic member - lives near Harwich - happy to answer questions

Debzie -

We are sailing in May from Harwich. We are looking into flights arriving in Heathrow but wonder if Gatwick would be a better choice. If we arrive in Heathrow, we would want to stay at least one day to see some of London but we have also thought about heading right to Harwich to explore it and nearby towns rather than staying in London.

Do you have any comments about the advantages of flying into Gatwick versus Heathrow? If we decide to head right to Harwich, do you have any hotel recommendations?

Thanks.

Elaine

Debzie -

We are sailing in May from Harwich. We are looking into flights arriving in Heathrow but wonder if Gatwick would be a better choice. If we arrive in Heathrow, we would want to stay at least one day to see some of London but we have also thought about heading right to Harwich to explore it and nearby towns rather than staying in London.

Do you have any comments about the advantages of flying into Gatwick versus Heathrow? If we decide to head right to Harwich, do you have any hotel recommendations?

Thanks.

Elaine

There isn't much in it. By road Gatwick is marginally closer but by rail you have to change in London either way. Use whichever offers the best deal for you.

We are flying into Heathrow. With cruise luggage in tow, we would rather not take the train to Harwich. Could you recommend private car services to drive us to the port?

Thank you.

be ready for some sticker shock, as you're talking about going from 20 miles one side [west] of London to 75 miles the other side [ENE] of London; this is why people take the train. London is not Harwich

be ready for some sticker shock, as you're talking about going from 20 miles one side [west] of London to 75 miles the other side [ENE] of London; this is why people take the train. London is not Harwich

I have just found this thread and am also interested in a transfer from a London hotel to Harwich same day as the cruise. I have googled some shuttle services and found Eddie Mannings car service. While prices for car service are much more expensive than trains, should I also consider travel time to Harwich? We would be travelling on Sunday August 19. How much time should we allow for traffic and road conditions? I have read that the roads could be a problem. Thank you for any suggestions.

I have just found this thread and am also interested in a transfer from a London hotel to Harwich same day as the cruise. I have googled some shuttle services and found Eddie Mannings car service. While prices for car service are much more expensive than trains, should I also consider travel time to Harwich? We would be travelling on Sunday August 19. How much time should we allow for traffic and road conditions? I have read that the roads could be a problem. Thank you for any suggestions.

Sunday should not be a problem going out of London.

It depends on whereabouts you are staying in Central London, I would budget about 2 to 2.5 hours, perhaps 3 hours to add contingency. The further east and north you are in Central London the shorter. (i.e. Kensington is the wrong side, Kings Cross, Tower Bridge, Docklands the optimum places in terms of the transfer.

The cruise train that runs from Liverpool Street is much quicker than any vehicle. Getting a taxi from your hotel then train will be faster, cheaper and will be more comfortable with room to move around than a car service.

Eddie is based out at Heathrow so will have to travel a fair bit to get to you in Central London.

O.K. thanks, I was wondering why this was so much less expensive than other prices I had seen posted . I will definitely stay away from the unlicensed taxis.

Two levels of licensed taxi in the UK.

Hackney Carriage.

All have an illuminated TAXI sign on the roof.

In London the iconic design, but elsewhere they come in all shapes & sizes. In most cities they all have the same colour-scheme.

You can get one from a rank (including at airports & cruiseports) or simply hail one in the street. They are metered & the rates are set by the local licensing authority. They're strictly regulated & comparatively expensive. Convenient for short city trips, such as hotel to rail station, but very expensive for trips such as Heathrow to central London.

Private hire taxi.

You can't simply pick one up in the street, they must be pre-booked. Your hotel / restaurant / etc can call one for you.

They don't have a TAXI sign.

Many have a sign on the door "no booking - no ride" or similar & they have a taxi licence plate on the rear, other than that they look like a private car.

Most have meters, but for longer journeys the price is negotiated.

They're also regulated by the local authority, to lower but perfectly adequate minimum standards.

Book a private hire taxi for longer journeys, they're way way cheaper than a liveried taxi.

Depending on the traveller's attitude to cost vs convenience, I guess the break-point between hackney carriage & private-hire is about 8 miles, perhaps less in London.

The London airports are the main problem area for unlicenced vehicles, touted in the arrivals halls & exits. The authorities are aware of them & do chase them away, prosecute, etc. Their targets are the unwary first-time visitor, they look for megabucks (far more than even a taxi from the rank if they can get it), they'll charge add-ons such as luggage to thir quotes, & also use confusion over exchange rates to fleece travellers. Their insurance is invalid for "hire or reward" & of course there's no regulation of vehicle/driver standards. Basically, they're crooks.

If you've not pre-booked, the only legal & safe taxis are the ones on the rank.

JB :)

As H's reply, sunday should be a doddle, I reckon well under two hours, though of course add some wiggle time.

Harwich from one of London's airports is awkward (one of the few journeys when the ship's transfer coaches are an attractive proposition) but from central London it's so quick, inexpensive & easy by train from Liverpool St station right to the pier.

Eddie Manning is one of the more-expensive car services, but has an excellent reputation.

As H's reply, sunday should be a doddle, I reckon well under two hours, though of course add some wiggle time.

Harwich from one of London's airports is awkward (one of the few journeys when the ship's transfer coaches are an attractive proposition) but from central London it's so quick, inexpensive & easy by train from Liverpool St station right to the pier.

Eddie Manning is one of the more-expensive car services, but has an excellent reputation.

As JB points out, Harwich International train station is AT the pier; I can't imagine an easier transfer from ship to train anywhere in the world.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=51.94738,1.256631&spn=0.002569,0.006968&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Thank you to Handfordr, Scottbee and John Bull for your quick replies. You have been very helpful.The train seems to be the most efficient and reasonable solution. Hope there will be a "cruise" train for this coming summer.

Thank you to Handfordr, Scottbee and John Bull for your quick replies. You have been very helpful.The train seems to be the most efficient and reasonable solution. Hope there will be a "cruise" train for this coming summer.

The cruise train is not the only train between Liverpool Street and Harwich International, the only difference between it and the hourly scheduled trains is it runs non-stop in 80 minutes whilst the scheduled trains make many stops abd take 15-20 mins longer.

I must admit when I saw the cruise train for some reason I was expecting something 'special' about it, it turned out to be a normal commuter train, fair enough but somehow I was expecting something more plush.

The other advantage with the scheduled trains are that there are normally very cheap discounted fares if you book on-line up to 3 months in advance and pick up the tickets at Liverpool Street.

The downside of travelling on a Sunday on the trains is that this is the day they do most of the track maintenance and you should check ahead for amy segments of line that will be closed. Last year for quite a few sailings they put on a bus replacement service for most of the journeys on Sundays.

You can check planned maintenance well ahead on the train companies web site. http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com

The cruise train is not the only train between Liverpool Street and Harwich International, the only difference between it and the hourly scheduled trains is it runs non-stop in 80 minutes whilst the scheduled trains make many stops abd take 15-20 mins longer.
I thought that another difference now is that there are few direct trains between London Liverpool Street and the Harwich stations? And that you therefore usually have to change at Manningtree to get to Harwich?

Current NXEA Harwich timetable here (PDF).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There are two large towns that are within reach of Harwich, they are Ipswich and Colchester. Head here if you want to go shopping, or take in a pub and restaurant and churches. Ipswich has a nice waterfront walk around a marina, Colchester has a great park, some cute tea rooms and a lovely castle (Norman Keep). It's also Britain's oldest town. Although Ipswich is slightly better for choice of shops, I prefer Colchester - it has more character.

Both are about 30 mins max by train.

If you are ambitious, London is not impossible. The train will take a max of 90 mins each way. If you get off ship early it can be done.

If you want something quainter then Manningtree/Mistley are lovely for whiling away a few hours. Reached by train or taxi in 20 mins. Again you can have a nice pub lunch, visit some churches and take some walks. If you don't mind hiking you can take the train to Manningtree then walk along the River Stour to the famous Flatford Mill where Constable painted.

I live in this area so send me a PM if you want specific recommendations on pubs restaurants or attractions.

I am the forefront of numerous cruisers who will be doing B2B or in some cases B2B2B out of Harwich. In between cruises, we would like to take the opportunity to see Harwich and the surrounding areas. Are there local guides who do so? Tour groups? If you can guide us in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Paul Herbig

prfssrpah@aol.com

We are renting a car at hertz in Ipswich (gold Member). What is the easiest way to get there from the cruise terminal at Harwhich? And what might a taxi cost?

From the Hertz site, looks like they will meet you at Ipswich station, so I'd say train is the way to go. The station is right beside the ship at Harwich. Its a total trip of 34mins for £5.80 single, but you have got to change trains at Manningtree. This means you have to use the steps and underpass to change platforms (probably about 30 steps down and 30 up the other side).

Its a 30 mile trip by road, so I'm guessing a cab is going to be at least £50.

Simon

Archived