cruise critic member - lives near Harwich - happy to answer questions

Are you going direct from one to the other? Either way, your best option is train from Harwich International (right beside the ship) to Liverpool Street station (in London), cab transfer to London Bridge station and then train to Dover Priory station, cab to ship. Costs should be around £15 + £10(cab) + £15 + £7 (cab). The other alternative is to transfer to St Pancras from Liverpool St, but this is a bit further cab transfer, but a nicer train at the end of it! You pays your money, you makes your choice!

All train details are at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ . Obviously, if you have a day or so to spare you can go to a hotel in London, or one in Dover, if you have already 'done' London.

Simon

WE are arriving in Harwich May 15/12 aboard the Jewel of the SEas... and wish to rent a car with a drop off near London as we want to tour the south of England before touring London.

However if it would be more economical we could take the train to London and pick up a car there....

How long is the train ride into London and what is the cost?

Areas we want to visit are Duxford, Aldershot, Cambridge, Canterbury

All advise will be greatfully received

There is no car hire in Harwich, there are some a train/bus ride away

If you don't actualy need to do London then getting the car even with a bit of hastle will be worth it since Duxford and Cambridge are relatively close to each other and Harwich is on that side as well.

the down side is there will be one way charges, where in Lonon do you need to be, going there and getting the car might work.

If interested in Duxford then also look at the RAF museum at Hendon.

Would fit in a day traveling between Duxford/Cambridge and Aldershot area

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/

and there are other imperial war museums.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/

In Canterbury, a budget hotel in a very good location is the Travelodge, this was recently refurbished to become a travelodge so is very fresh, has parking, walking to all the city locations. we used it for 1 night precruise(£15) from Dover and well worth a look, normaly from £19 if booked ahead allthough they will have a sale betwen now and May which migh get the price down to £10-£15.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/info?hotelId=499

We also found a good Indian Restaurant called Tia.

La trappiste in the center, a belgian themed place, looked good, stopped for a beer, good selection, esentric owner very mixed reviews looks like it had jst opened when we dropped by in April.

A restaurant caled Deesons was packed on a tues Night asking around this place is supposed to be very good worth checking some reviws.

Loads of other places to eat in the city so plan ahead.

Hi debzie -

We are planning on taking a cruise out of Harwich (Jewel of the Seas) and then after that taking another out of Dover (Ocean Princess). Could you tell me my options on getting from Harwich to Dover (keeping in mind we will have at least 2 large suitecases to deal with)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

We have decided to go from Harwich to London (Grosvenor House Hotel). If I took the train - I have a few questions: where would I put my luggage on the train? two: do I purchase the train tickets in advance or at the station that day; and three: how close does the train get me to the hotel?

When you speak of "the train" I am assuming a rail-type overland train as opposed to the underground train, is that correct.

As you can tell, I am not very familiar with traveling around UK.

Thanks for any advice you can give me ---

Mary Lou

We have decided to go from Harwich to London (Grosvenor House Hotel). If I took the train - I have a few questions: where would I put my luggage on the train? two: do I purchase the train tickets in advance or at the station that day; and three: how close does the train get me to the hotel?

When you speak of "the train" I am assuming a rail-type overland train as opposed to the underground train, is that correct.

Mary Lou

These are 'proper' overground trains, but they are essentially commuter trains, so not big on luggage storage. However, you should be able to get you luggage near you by either grabbing a 4 seat area or with storage between the seats. Loads of people use the train to/from the ship so you should be OK. Only bugbear is that you might have to change trains at Manningtree (about 3 stops after leaving Harwich), but at least you will be on the same platform. You can buy on the day or in advance...up to you. You will get them a bit cheaper in advance, but not so its a life changing amount! I think the only advantage in pre booking is that you can reserve a seat. Unfortunately, the Grovesnor House is on Park Lane in the West End and Liverpool St station is almost in the East End. You could do it cheaper by tube, but that is a major hassle with luggage, so I'd bite the bullet and use a black cab. Should be less than £20.

Simon

Mary Lou

Train travel is a lot cheaper after 9:00 am - around half the price whether booked in advance or paid on the day.

So don't rush to get off the ship. Instead, get up late, enjoy your breakfast and then just stroll down to the train station - it's right next to the ship.

If a person was stay in Ipswich or Colchester instead of Harwich for the evening before a cruise how long is the train ride from these cities to Harwich?

And do you know what time train service would be offered from these cities to Harwich.

In other words would there be plenty of time to have breakfast at the hotel of our choice, and take the train from Harwich.

The reason I ask is that we will have a rental car to drop off in one of these places (I believe Ipswich)

Thank you.

If a person was stay in Ipswich or Colchester instead of Harwich for the evening before a cruise how long is the train ride from these cities to Harwich?

And do you know what time train service would be offered from these cities to Harwich.

In other words would there be plenty of time to have breakfast at the hotel of our choice, and take the train from Harwich.

The reason I ask is that we will have a rental car to drop off in one of these places (I believe Ipswich)

Thank you.

You can do it from either. Ipswich trains leave every hour at 43 mins past, Colchester trains leave every hour at 47 mins past. Both trips are about 9 mins to Manningtree, where you change on to the Harwich train for the 17 mins trip, so you arrive at 17 mins past. Ipswich is £5.50, Colchester £6.50.

Simon

PS Plenty of time for breakfast...you'll need it as you will of course starve on a cruise!!:D

I plan on taking the train from Liverpool St Station to Harwich, but not the dedicated cruise train since we'll be arriving at 7:35 AM that morning and want to head right to the ship. We will make our way to LST via the Gatwick Express/Tube.

I see we make a stop in Manningtree but it doesn't look like you actually change trains. Can you confirm? Also, what comes with a first class ticket, and is it worth it for the ride on to Harwich?

I plan on taking the train from Liverpool St Station to Harwich, but not the dedicated cruise train since we'll be arriving at 7:35 AM that morning and want to head right to the ship. We will make our way to LST via the Gatwick Express/Tube.

I see we make a stop in Manningtree but it doesn't look like you actually change trains. Can you confirm? Also, what comes with a first class ticket, and is it worth it for the ride on to Harwich?

I assume this is for your 'Jewel' cruise in April. Can't check that far ahead, so timetables might change a bit, but I've done it for a Thursday in October. Our trains are cheaper on weekdays after 9.30. If you are landing at 7.35 it will probably take 60 - 90 mins to get through customs etc, so grab a coffee or breakfast until 9.30. First, I wouldn't use the Gatwick Express. On the current timetable, use the First Capital Connect service to London Bridge (0946 - 1015). Gatwick station is in the South Terminal. The tube is included in your ticket, but its a nightmare with luggage. For an extra £10 or so I'd grab a black cab for the 1 mile trip across the river to Liv St. Get the 1100 NXEA service toward Norwich, but get off at Manningtree at 1155. Five minutes later the train to Harwich Int leaves from the same island platform (so no steps etc) to Harwich Int (arr. 1217). The station is right beside the ship. Current fare is £37.70. This timetable is repeated every hour, so you could miss 3 trains and still make it on time!! More info at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

Simon

I assume this is for your 'Jewel' cruise in April. Can't check that far ahead, so timetables might change a bit, but I've done it for a Thursday in October. Our trains are cheaper on weekdays after 9.30. If you are landing at 7.35 it will probably take 60 - 90 mins to get through customs etc, so grab a coffee or breakfast until 9.30. First, I wouldn't use the Gatwick Express. On the current timetable, use the First Capital Connect service to London Bridge (0946 - 1015). Gatwick station is in the South Terminal. The tube is included in your ticket, but its a nightmare with luggage. For an extra £10 or so I'd grab a black cab for the 1 mile trip across the river to Liv St. Get the 1100 NXEA service toward Norwich, but get off at Manningtree at 1155. Five minutes later the train to Harwich Int leaves from the same island platform (so no steps etc) to Harwich Int (arr. 1217). The station is right beside the ship. Current fare is £37.70. This timetable is repeated every hour, so you could miss 3 trains and still make it on time!! More info at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

Simon

Thank you, Simon. This is for the Jewel next August. Mapping out the route now!

Jen - thanks for asking this question. And Simon thanks for the answer. When I was checking some of the sites all I could find was something like 97 BP or 147 BP (sorry can't remember how to put in the symbol for the British pound). I knew from our last trip to England that the cost was not near that.

We are looking forward to heading back to England.

Jen - thanks for asking this question. And Simon thanks for the answer. When I was checking some of the sites all I could find was something like 97 BP or 147 BP (sorry can't remember how to put in the symbol for the British pound). I knew from our last trip to England that the cost was not near that.

We are looking forward to heading back to England.

No problem, Bette. I need written out instructions with screen-shots so I don't get frazzled! Do you and Bill plan on taking the train also?

Simon, I see there's a National Rail and the National Express East Anglia (NXEA). Are these 2 different trains? Or just 2 different booking websites?

No problem, Bette. I need written out instructions with screen-shots so I don't get frazzled! Do you and Bill plan on taking the train also?

Simon, I see there's a National Rail and the National Express East Anglia (NXEA). Are these 2 different trains? Or just 2 different booking websites?

Jen - yes, we plan to. We are going into Harwich on the 29th. That way I figure I get the traveling all done in 24 hours, maybe get some rest and then walk around Harwich. When we sailed from there last year, there was a chuch I could see from the ship that I thought I would like to see up close. I thought the town looked like a nice place to relax and stroll around and maybe get the feel of an English village.

Since deregulation our rail services have become a bit of a nightmare! (the booking, not the actual trains). Network Rail looks after all the track infrastructure and signalling etc and loads of private companies run the actual trains, NXEA being one of these, First Capital Connect another. There are several online companies that do train tickets. National Rail (which I mainly use), Trainline and others. Google if you want to try them. You will sometimes get a better deal if your trip is wholly within one company, but since you are using at least 2, you will probably want to use an 'umbrella' company. It depends how much time you want to spend banging away at the keyboard! To be honest, £37 is a good price for the trip. Just bear in mind, these are more like commuter trains than long distance. If you can, bring some spare luggage straps or string to tie your bags to handrails to stop them falling over, but you shouldn't have a problem. I forgot you asked about first class...don't bother. The only advantage is having a slightly wider seat which for the length of your journey is just not worth it.

Simon

Since deregulation our rail services have become a bit of a nightmare! (the booking, not the actual trains). Network Rail looks after all the track infrastructure and signalling etc and loads of private companies run the actual trains, NXEA being one of these, First Capital Connect another. There are several online companies that do train tickets. National Rail (which I mainly use), Trainline and others. Google if you want to try them. You will sometimes get a better deal if your trip is wholly within one company, but since you are using at least 2, you will probably want to use an 'umbrella' company. It depends how much time you want to spend banging away at the keyboard! To be honest, £37 is a good price for the trip. Just bear in mind, these are more like commuter trains than long distance. If you can, bring some spare luggage straps or string to tie your bags to handrails to stop them falling over, but you shouldn't have a problem. I forgot you asked about first class...don't bother. The only advantage is having a slightly wider seat which for the length of your journey is just not worth it.

Simon

Thanks, Simon. Now I got it...separate companies, not separate trains!

I think I have my route down, now let's hope things don't change over the next 11 months.;)

• 1 month later...

There are two large towns that are within reach of Harwich, they are Ipswich and Colchester. Head here if you want to go shopping, or take in a pub and restaurant and churches. Ipswich has a nice waterfront walk around a marina, Colchester has a great park, some cute tea rooms and a lovely castle (Norman Keep). It's also Britain's oldest town. Although Ipswich is slightly better for choice of shops, I prefer Colchester - it has more character.

Both are about 30 mins max by train.

If you are ambitious, London is not impossible. The train will take a max of 90 mins each way. If you get off ship early it can be done.

If you want something quainter then Manningtree/Mistley are lovely for whiling away a few hours. Reached by train or taxi in 20 mins. Again you can have a nice pub lunch, visit some churches and take some walks. If you don't mind hiking you can take the train to Manningtree then walk along the River Stour to the famous Flatford Mill where Constable painted.

I live in this area so send me a PM if you want specific recommendations on pubs restaurants or attractions.

There are two large towns that are within reach of Harwich, they are Ipswich and Colchester. Head here if you want to go shopping, or take in a pub and restaurant and churches. Ipswich has a nice waterfront walk around a marina, Colchester has a great park, some cute tea rooms and a lovely castle (Norman Keep). It's also Britain's oldest town. Although Ipswich is slightly better for choice of shops, I prefer Colchester - it has more character.

Both are about 30 mins max by train.

If you are ambitious, London is not impossible. The train will take a max of 90 mins each way. If you get off ship early it can be done.

If you want something quainter then Manningtree/Mistley are lovely for whiling away a few hours. Reached by train or taxi in 20 mins. Again you can have a nice pub lunch, visit some churches and take some walks. If you don't mind hiking you can take the train to Manningtree then walk along the River Stour to the famous Flatford Mill where Constable painted.

I live in this area so send me a PM if you want specific recommendations on pubs restaurants or attractions.

Thanks debzie essex. We are spending 4 days in London prior to the first leg of the trip so are just looking for something to do while passenger disembark and and the ship reloads. If you have specific recommendations on pubs and attractions in your area that would be great. Lois

• 1 month later...

As another local to Harwich (although a little further out over the border in Suffolk) I have read this thread with interest.

I would also like to recommend a visit to Bury st Edmunds. it is approx 45 mins down road from Ipswich and has beautiful Abbey Gardens worth visitng and some lovely independent shops that are worth a visit. If you visit on a wednesday or a saturday there is also a large market to wander round too.

I notice also that a lot of people talk about trains. There are some specific 'cruise trains' that go between london and Harwich. You can see timings on this website: http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp

• 1 month later...
quickest is the Heathrow Express train. Its quick and goes into Paddington. Takes 15 mins and runs every 15 mins. The catch is its pricy about £15 each way. And you still then need to make your way to your hotel or place of visit.

Id always take the tube (subway) Its single £4.50 or for £8 you can get an off peak travelcard and use it all day on tubes trains and buses.

A black taxi cab will cost about £50. Journey time 40 mins - 90 mins dependening on time of day.

Could I please ask" What is a black taxi cab?" Is this the price from Heathrow to Harwich? Will these cabs carry two persons with luggage(2 large check ins and 2 carry on)? Do you just flag down a black taxi cab at Heathrow and ask him to take you to Harwich? Thanks

Could I please ask" What is a black taxi cab?"
A "proper" licensed (and iconic) London taxi.
Is this the price from Heathrow to Harwich?
No way. You need to have a look at the post to which debzie essex was replying to get the context. £50 is a low estimate of the fare from Heathrow to central London.

It would probably cost you a couple of hundred pounds (possibly more) to get a black cab from Heathrow to Harwich. You have to remember that Harwich is not London and is nowhere near London. (Cruise lines lie about this all the time.)

Will these cabs carry two persons with luggage(2 large check ins and 2 carry on)?
Yes, easily.
Do you just flag down a black taxi cab at Heathrow and ask him to take you to Harwich?
Black cabs operate from the official taxi ranks outside each terminal at Heathrow. There is always a plentiful supply of cabs during the hours that flights normally arrive.

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances take up an unsolicited offer of a "taxi" as you walk through the terminal. These offers are made by illegal touts whose "cabs" are no better than a stranger's car. Your driver may be a criminal and the car may be unlicensed and uninsured. You definitely don't want to risk any of that.

Archived