how to pack for diving fro cruise

Jim2112

Going on cruise with Carnival in Aug to Belieze. I have a dive gear bag and own dive gear...BUT!!!!, Do I just pack the mesh divebag and put it with my other suitcase or pack everything in a suit case and pull the stuff out (dive bag too)? when heading out to SCUBA?

thanks

Jim

I bought American Tourister Ultra-light rolling suitcases for about $70 each. My DW and I each have one. In each is our BCD, mask and spare, reg bag with computer, fins, boots, gloves, wetsuit (if needed) and our Mesh gear bag. When we get in our room, we unpack the suitcase and store it under the bed. We then pack our mesh gear bag and are ready for diving when we reach port. We've done this now on three cruises and it works out great.

I use a lightweight nylon rolling "suitcase bag" designed for dive gear. Everything fits with room to spare for a few items of clothing. I also carry a mesh bag that I can pack everything in the right order for kitting up on a dive boat.

I can then take either bag if I have to when I go diving. I normally use the mesh bag for diving because it is easier, takes up less space and is (just) light enough to carry from the cruise boat to a dive boat.

Remember that in some locations you may have to carry your gear a good distance, so if that is a problem for you then find a lightweight bag with wheels that can be crushed down to take up less space when empty.

The other essential is a small waterproof bag to carry your certification card, money, phone, cruise boat pass and any other essentials. If you have somewhere definite to put them them you are less likely to lose them and no worries if your main dive bag gets wet!

Enjoy Belize, great diving.

T

I have found that it is really much easier to leave my BC at home.

I take all the rest of my equipment but without the BC, the volume of stuff to pack is roughly half. And it seems that dive operations all over the world have reasonable BC's.

I want my own reg, mask, fins and computer but don't mind using various BC's.

Scott & Karen

It seems most here are in agreement...

Carry your own gear. You will be more comfortable and you will know it has been properly serviced.

I pack my entire kit in a carry-on bag. Atomic T2 reg, Suunto D9 wireless comp, Aqualung Hotshot fins and Zuma BCD, with my mask, a couple of t shirts and shorts... in a legal size carry-on... weighs in at less than 30 lbs.

I can buy clothing and toothpaste almost anywhere on my cruise, if my bags are misplaced by the ship. My $4K dive kit is not replaceable on the cruise. It stays with me until we get to the stateroom.

I keep a mesh bag in there, too. For getting back and forth to the dive boats.

two words.... DIVE CADDY!!! My wife and I both have dive caddy bags and they are AMAZING!!!! We are able to pack ALL of our scuba gear on our backs and the bag easily fits in the overhead on an airplane.

spiderbag.jpg

The dive caddy system looks great, but at $299, it's very over priced. As the dive group leader for Cruise Critic's annual Scuba Cruises, we always recommend that all divers in the group take their own gear. The easiest is to purchase a sturdy rolling carry-on that will fit all your gear, except your fins. Once on the ship, simply clip your fins to the outside and you are good to go.

We often have to walk through the terminal building and out of the secure port area - having a small rolling duffle makes a huge difference when returning to the ship with wet gear! The dive caddy is a great system, but you can pretty much do the same thing with a carry-on sized backpack. But I prefer a rolling duffle.

• 2 weeks later...

I hauled all my gear to Hawaii once-never again. Have dove all over the Carrib with local rental gear with no problems. If planning a ship excursion, know that all the cruise line dives are very basic so leave any high-teck at home.

• 3 weeks later...
spiderbag.jpg

The dive caddy system looks great, but at $299, it's very over priced. As the dive group leader for Cruise Critic's annual Scuba Cruises, we always recommend that all divers in the group take their own gear. The easiest is to purchase a sturdy rolling carry-on that will fit all your gear, except your fins. Once on the ship, simply clip your fins to the outside and you are good to go.

We often have to walk through the terminal building and out of the secure port area - having a small rolling duffle makes a huge difference when returning to the ship with wet gear! The dive caddy is a great system, but you can pretty much do the same thing with a carry-on sized backpack. But I prefer a rolling duffle.

I totally agree! Last time we stayed on a resort in the Cancun area and dove Cozumel and the Cenotes and once your gear it soaked it's twice as heavy! Not fun to lug around at all. Next dive trip I am bringing a mesh bag WITH WHEELS! Currently considering this one- http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BG327

Hey Sailfish - was reading this thread and have all needed stuff packed into a light weight roller suitcase. Mine and the familys' diving/snorkel gear - all less than 50 lbs! Carrying my computer and regs with my carry-on for just in case. Direct flight, but who knows. Took your advise and my daughter and I are diving with Andrew (Eco-Dive) in Barbados - Thanks for the imput. -- Phoenix III

I "carry on" my regulator and computer. You can carry on up to 40 pounds on Continental. Regulator set weighs in at about 7-9 pounds.

Then I put my Fins, BCD, mask, snorkel, booties, skin or 1 mm or 3mm shorty, attached to my BCD is a pair of SeaSnips, save a dive kit (self made at this time) several aluminum caribinears, clips, safety sausage and reel, 500PSI, sunscreen, dry bag, Akona mesh carry bag (duffel sized), and my crocks. If there is spare weight (usually a few pounds under 50, I may put in a pair of casual shoes for the cruise.

Talked to someone a while back who put all of his dive equipment into a checked bag and it weighed about 62 pounds. Gate was going to charge him for overweight. He discussed the 70 pound dive gear only policy with them and they did not move off of his bag being overweight. He pulled 12 pounds and put it in his mesh dive bag and used that as his carry on. Danged airlines and their policy allowing gate discretion on a dive gear only bag....

I "carry on" my regulator and computer. You can carry on up to 40 pounds on Continental. Regulator set weighs in at about 7-9 pounds.

Then I put my Fins, BCD, mask, snorkel, booties, skin or 1 mm or 3mm shorty, attached to my BCD is a pair of SeaSnips, save a dive kit (self made at this time) several aluminum caribinears, clips, safety sausage and reel, 500PSI, sunscreen, dry bag, Akona mesh carry bag (duffel sized), and my crocks. If there is spare weight (usually a few pounds under 50, I may put in a pair of casual shoes for the cruise.

Talked to someone a while back who put all of his dive equipment into a checked bag and it weighed about 62 pounds. Gate was going to charge him for overweight. He discussed the 70 pound dive gear only policy with them and they did not move off of his bag being overweight. He pulled 12 pounds and put it in his mesh dive bag and used that as his carry on. Danged airlines and their policy allowing gate discretion on a dive gear only bag....

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I live in Florida and fortunately do not have to fly -- hate those airline fees! :eek: So do you use a hard case or soft duffle bag? Not sure the hard case adds any protection. But will Carnival allow us to walk-on with a larger piece of luggage (if we decide to put both sets of dive equipment) or better to have individual bags (one for me and one for DH). We will travel with our regulator, computer, BC, mask, fins, snorkel, et al). Sure appreciate your thoughts! :)

If I did not have to travel on an airline, which I did on a trip out of Galveston, I carried all of my dive gear (exception is always going to be my regulatros and computers) in an American Tourister type soft sided suitcase with wheels and handle. Checked that in at the pier. Hand carried the rest. My wife does not dive so it was just my dive suitcase with two "clothes cases". Hers is a duffle and I carry a second suitcase.

You do need to remeber the limitation on space to store your suitcases if you bring three or four.

A soft well padded duffle should work for everything ( as long as your mask is in a hard case... Baggage guys do throw the gear...

got a mesh back pack roller bag. only going to bring mask fin snorkle wetsuit..dont have regulator or BCD yet

Along with the obvious...when going on SCUBA excursion (me this time) what about normal tipping and is my bag with personal stuff somewhat safe I think they just asking though

Jim

I have seen tips vary by a large amount... depends on number of dives, length of trip, number of divers in the party, cattleboat or not, personal service, extras, and as always service.

I have been told by some that $5 per tank is standard for their parties. I have tipped from $5 a tank to $100 for a boat (3 divers and one snorkeler). My long time dive buddy who dives Cozumel and Honduras with regularity tells me it is $5 per tank. They tip that and have no problems with the service. A few in their party also provide other items as part of their tips and at times extra money if special service is rendered... lengthy dives... special dive sites....

I have no other reference other than if a divemaster and boat crew are really good, my tips go up.

Archived