Our amazing Dream cruise--photo and trivia review!

EMc&DrS

Cannot wait to hear about MayaChan... I think I am looking forward to that day the most, esp. from what i have read and seen of it so far. :) I like the pace you take in this review, sounds similar to ours... thanks for taking the time.

Cannot wait to hear about MayaChan... I think I am looking forward to that day the most, esp. from what i have read and seen of it so far. :) I like the pace you take in this review, sounds similar to ours... thanks for taking the time.

You are most welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read it! It's a nice way to reflect on the trip while we adjust back to reality.

You now have me rethinking Belize and actually doing a Carnival tour instead of an island tour company. Quick question, why Goff's Cay over the barrier reef tour? Any insights would be great as to how you chose one over the other... I am worried that Goff's cay might feel too small and we would be unable to have any quite space to ourselves... did you feel that way at all?

Sounds and looks like a PERFECT day. LOVE the sunset and moon pictures. Tip for the next time: you can use the door stop by your cabin door in the balcony door (wedge it between the door and the door frame) to prop it open. ;)

You now have me rethinking Belize and actually doing a Carnival tour instead of an island tour company. Quick question, why Goff's Cay over the barrier reef tour? Any insights would be great as to how you chose one over the other... I am worried that Goff's cay might feel too small and we would be unable to have any quite space to ourselves... did you feel that way at all?

I can't stand a crowded beach, and Goff's Caye didn't bother me in the least. My photos only show one side of the island. There was another side where people had rented chairs. When people snorkeled from the beach, it was out further away from the coast line.

I remember I looked at the other excursion too, but I can't remember why I picked this one. Did the other have time at a beach? Seems like it didn't. I'll always pick the beach option over a plain snorkeling trip. I remember liking that this one had the option to snorkel from the beach or from the boat.

What a great review! We were on the cruise with you (our first as a family of 6). It is giving me a little "happy" this morning as I sip my coffee. Also making me think that hubby and I need to sail without the 4 kids next time! hee hee:D

I can't stand a crowded beach, and Goff's Caye didn't bother me in the least. My photos only show one side of the island. There was another side where people had rented chairs. When people snorkeled from the beach, it was out further away from the coast line.

I remember I looked at the other excursion too, but I can't remember why I picked this one. Did the other have time at a beach? Seems like it didn't. I'll always pick the beach option over a plain snorkeling trip. I remember liking that this one had the option to snorkel from the beach or from the boat.

The other one does have a beach break, and they also say there are kayaks and floats available for the beach part. I guess the thing that is getting me hooked is that it is a barrier reef, and the 45 minute swim around Goff's cay sounds kinda tiring (my hubby sinks better than he swims). Hmmmm what to do, what to do... I am so glad for reports like yours that give me solid things to think about though :)

What a great review! We were on the cruise with you (our first as a family of 6). It is giving me a little "happy" this morning as I sip my coffee. Also making me think that hubby and I need to sail without the 4 kids next time! hee hee:D

Definitely! We've done both, but it is much less stressful when it's just the two of you!

The other one does have a beach break, and they also say there are kayaks and floats available for the beach part. I guess the thing that is getting me hooked is that it is a barrier reef, and the 45 minute swim around Goff's cay sounds kinda tiring (my hubby sinks better than he swims). Hmmmm what to do, what to do... I am so glad for reports like yours that give me solid things to think about though :)

You might check the boards specifically for Belize and see if anyone has posted a review of the barrier reef excursion.

You might check the boards specifically for Belize and see if anyone has posted a review of the barrier reef excursion.

I have looked, but it is really hard to discern good info.... but the research is part of the fun so I will perservere...thanks

Looking forward to your next installment!!

I have looked, but it is really hard to discern good info.... but the research is part of the fun so I will perservere...thanks

Looking forward to your next installment!!

I think the excursion listed on the Carnival website finally has some reviews.

Your review is making me wish I could fast forward time....thank you so much for all of the "little details". We cruise in January on the Dream and have gone to Belize 3 times prior to this next cruise, all through outside excursions found here on CC. All were great, but we really wanted something simple and fun. Now I can't wait for our hassle free excursion to Goff's Cay through Carnival. Our boys will only be 9 and 7 , both strong swimmers (but thanks to your review...not quite strong enough), but it really sounds like we will have just as much fun snorkeling from shore!!

Loved your last pictures from your balcony. DH is gonna kill you though, I've been "suggesting" an upgrade and "uh-oh" now he's gonna have to agree;)!!!

A-

Is this one too obscure? No guesses at all today!?!

Here's a much easier one---where are we now??

5882642183_15078ae925.jpg

Roatan?? Would Goff's Caye make for a nice beach day? We don't care much about the snorkel but do enjoy off the path, uncrowded beaches. I'm guessing you had apprx 3hrs at the Caye?

BTW, I like your comment about the traffic. We too are in Atl and would much rather deal with the ship traffic:)

Roatan?? Would Goff's Caye make for a nice beach day? We don't care much about the snorkel but do enjoy off the path, uncrowded beaches. I'm guessing you had apprx 3hrs at the Caye?

BTW, I like your comment about the traffic. We too are in Atl and would much rather deal with the ship traffic:)

Yes, about 3 hours. Goff's Caye was a great beach day, but check out my post tomorrow about Costa Maya!!!

Where are we today?????

5880885104_5945337022.jpg

The hills above look like Roatan mid-island.

Is this one too obscure? No guesses at all today!?!

Here's a much easier one---where are we now??

5882642183_15078ae925.jpg

This looks like part of the Tourist Village at "Every" major Carib cruise port, buy I'll go with Costa Maya near the swim up pool, and the photographer was standing next to the small stand-alone Palapa bar.

Your review is making me wish I could fast forward time....thank you so much for all of the "little details". We cruise in January on the Dream and have gone to Belize 3 times prior to this next cruise, all through outside excursions found here on CC. All were great, but we really wanted something simple and fun. Now I can't wait for our hassle free excursion to Goff's Cay through Carnival. Our boys will only be 9 and 7 , both strong swimmers (but thanks to your review...not quite strong enough), but it really sounds like we will have just as much fun snorkeling from shore!!

Loved your last pictures from your balcony. DH is gonna kill you though, I've been "suggesting" an upgrade and "uh-oh" now he's gonna have to agree;)!!!

A-

As far as excursions go, it was hassle free. Your sons will enjoy the boat ride out to the Caye, and you'll all love the beach. Bring plenty of sunscreen!

Balcony--I can't say it enough--it was amazing. Glad I could help with your quest for an upgrade!

Thursday, Costa Maya:

5884342344_3d11a17082.jpg

Of all the surprises I had planned for my wife, Thursday’s excursion was the one I was most excited about. I had kept it a secret long enough, so I finally broke down and told her the details on Wednesday evening while we drank our bottle of wine and watched the sunset—we were going to spend Thursday at the Maya Chan Beach Resort. Before I elaborate, let me just say I would repeat this entire cruise again just to get another chance to visit there again!

The trip from Belize to Costa Maya is short, so the familiar “controlled earth quake” that we would experience in the aft of the ship as the thrusters begin to push the ship sideways toward the pier started before the sun came up. (We’ve really grown to love that feeling because it only happens on a cruise! It was especially funny in this cabin—the ice bucket and wine glasses would jump up and down on the counter while the glasses in the bathroom would join in on their glass shelf on the other side of the room. My wife joked that people used to pay money to have their bed vibrate!) Once the earthquake stopped, I looked out the window and it was still dark. Our instructions were to meet just outside the cruise port area at 8 AM, but I had set the alarm on my cell phone, so I went back to bed. WORST MISTAKE OF THE CRUISE! First of all, there are few clocks on the Dream—none in the room. I had totally forgotten that when we got off the ship in Cozumel and turned off “airplane mode” on my phone so we could text our kids, the phone immediately reset to Cozumel time. We got back on the boat and I switched “airplane mode” on again, but the phone remained on Cozumel time—one hour behind ship time.

As we were getting ready, I kept looking out the window wondering why so many people were leaving the boat so early. And then I put on my watch! It was 8 AM straight up and we were not where we were supposed to be!!! Nor was my wife ready to leave—we were going to be late.

Unlike other excursions, however, the fantastic owners of Maya Chan plan this one, and they prepare for things like this. About a month before the cruise, we received a confirmation e-mail from them that was a few pages long, and I don’t want to spoil its contents for anyone who might be receiving it soon because it was so entertaining, but let me just say that the more I read, the more I couldn’t wait to visit. It did say, however, that the Dream arrives early, and “if you want to sleep in or are running late, just tell someone at the taxi stand that you are going to Maya Chan and they will take care of you. The cost will be paid for by us when you arrive.” We weren’t going to miss our day at Maya Chan—we were just going to lose an hour on the beach—and it was my fault.

One of the only disadvantages of an aft cabin on the Dream is that your room is at the opposite end of the ship from where you get on and off while in ports. For some reason, they usually opened one exit—deck zero at the bottom of the forward stairs. Because everyone was trying to exit the boat using the same stairs or elevators, it was nearly impossible to get an elevator in that forward section of the ship when the ship was in port. Here’s the trick: we would get an elevator in the aft section near our cabin—usually a very short wait. We’d ride it down to deck one and then walk all the way forward. Once in the front, we’d go down one flight of stairs and we were ready to exit the ship. Upon returning, we’d reverse the process.

Costa Maya was the most frustrating because the pier is so long, and the ship docks with the aft section closest to the land, but everyone still had to walk all the way forward to exit the ship only to have to walk the entire length of the ship back on one section of pier that leads to an even longer pier that leads to the land. This just added to the frustration of being late.

Here's a photo of the walk. The exit is underneath the orange life boats closest to the front of the ship:

5883252736_49cb9d8f1d.jpg

We did arrive at the taxi stand at 8 AM—according to my cell phone, but unfortunately, everyone else had left an hour before us. Typically, as soon as we stepped out of the controlled area, the locals were trying to get us to book an excursion. I said to the first man, “We have a reservation already—at Maya Chan.” He immediately stopped and said, “Oh, then you just need to go right over there.” He pointed me in the direction of a man in a shed who seemed to be in charge. I repeated that I had a reservation, and he pulled out a clipboard and checked for our names. Sure enough—all of the other names had been checked off except for ours. He directed us to a bench in the shade and told us that a cab would be by to get us in about 20 minutes.

By 9:30 we were in a cab headed for the beach! The driver spoke just a little English, but this didn’t keep him from talking the whole way. The road to Maya Chan follows the coast the entire ride with acres of dead Mangrove trees on one side (killed in the big hurricane 4 years ago), and the beautiful Caribbean Sea on the other side. The driver told us all about how beautiful the trees used to be—but now there are giant termite nests everywhere that you could see in the trees. I had read that the road to Maya Chan was bad, but our driver knew where every pothole was located, and he carefully steered around them while telling us that drivers in Costa Maya have to be careful to watch for iguanas and donkeys running across the road. And we thought deer were a problem? Luckily, he only had to dodge one iguana on our drive. What they do have on the road are speed bumps—but not the usual ones we know—these are made of giant ropes like the ones they use to secure the cruise ships to the pier.

The drive to Maya Chan Beach took about 15 minutes and the road was fine. No sooner were we out of the cab than a young man was greeting us in the street. He immediately led us onto the property, through the bar area,

5884272644_5752ee2383.jpg

r

and to our private hut on the beach.

5884278712_6dd67a1134.jpg

I was sure we’d get the left over seats since we were the last to arrive, but apparently, your space on the beach is reserved for you when you make your reservation, and since I had booked 5 months in advance, we had a prime spot on the beach. Our hut had a roof, two Adirondack chairs with a table, a hammock, and an outside bed.

And an incredible view!

5883260862_4c026fe3f6.jpg

We were immediately given rum punches and bowls of fresh fruit—nothing like rum at 10 AM!

5884280616_fb832c654e.jpg

Archived