Our amazing Dream cruise--photo and trivia review!

EMc&DrS

Maya Chan is owned by an American couple, and these people have it going on! All food is included, and we had a delicious buffet lunch around noon featuring grilled chicken and steak, incredible fish, and homemade beans (not refried!) Great guacamole too--as well as salsa and sauces for your meat. All drinks are included. After our rum punch we switched to margaritas, and they were also delicious, free-flowing, and delivered directly to our seats. Some guests seemed to be camped out at the bar all day! Of course, there was free wi-fi in the bar area, so that might have been the reason. There were floats and kayaks available free of charge, and my wife paid $25 to have a 30-minute massage on the beach (in the shade). Some guests took a guided kayak ride out to a reef where they did some snorkeling, but we chose to take up residency in our private hut.

5884270392_66b5ae0d8e.jpg

After 5 days on a giant cruise ship, the nicest part of this excursion is that the owners never allow more than 50 guests per day. On the day we visited a group canceled at the last minute, so there were only 35 guests! That’s fewer people than were on our snorkeling boat to Goff’s Caye the day before; we were on just one of several boats at the Caye that day.

The owner visited us in our hut shortly after we arrived and sat down to talk with us like we were old friends. He told us, “It’s like we have a BBQ everyday and invite 50 of our friends over.” He was such a nice guy, and while his employees waited on his guests (even delivering drinks out into the ocean!), he floated in the ocean in a chair raft most of the day talking with anyone and everyone. He really treats you like family—the type of person you feel like you’ve known forever.

An amazing view,

5884371648_e4ce41a493.jpg

an amazing breeze,

5883711389_192f026d16.jpg

unlimited food and drink, no crowds—

5884367950_04dce85187.jpg

what else could you want? It was a perfect day.

The downside—the Dream leaves Costa Maya too early!!! While departure time is 6 PM at all other ports, the Dream leaves Costa Maya at 3 PM with everyone due back onboard at 2:30. This seemed too early and unnecessary! My suggestion to Carnival in a survey was to switch the order of ports--go to CM first and Cozumel last. That would also lessen the distance between the first port and Roatan by about 3 hours. (I think the real reason they want to leave so early is because of Elegant Night. They want everyone back on board so they have time to get dressed and be ready to pose for all the photographers...)

About noon, one of the staff members visited each group of guests to inquire what time they’d like to be back at the port. We said, “We’ll be the last to leave” since we had no interest in getting back early to shop at the port. Some people departed at about 1 PM. We, instead, texted our kids and got them to log onto the website so they could see us wave at them on the webcam. Our cab arrived shortly after 1:30. Our hosts walked us to the cab and thanked us for visiting. We didn’t want to leave!

A short taxi ride later and we were back to the port. We still had a little time to shop, but since no one sold authentic license plates from Mexico, we returned to the pier without any purchases.

As frustrating as the long walk down the pier was in the morning, it wasn’t long enough in the afternoon. The winds were strong, but everyone seemed to know that the next time we would be getting off the Dream would be at Port Canaveral.

5883830365_5189b8cc3c.jpg

Our last view of our home-away-from-home from this perspective. Ours was the cabin that spans the entire 2nd level from the bottom of this photo:

5883835745_47bb935c80.jpg

As was the case in every port on this cruise, all passengers were back on board early, and we pulled away from the pier a few minutes before 3 PM.

5884424546_99bb00c942.jpg

The 36-hour ride back to Florida…and reality…had begun.

Thursday night was the second Elegant Night, but first another amazing sunset:

5884421758_90ff91e98b.jpg

5884418760_e560bbd1b6.jpg

5884398536_bdd17dd2df.jpg

The recommended dish that night was an "award winning" Basa fish recipe which most people in our corner ordered. I also had the Baked Alaska for dessert, but there was no parade of flaming desserts like on our last Carnival cruise in '05 and our last Princess cruise in '08. Just a slice of ice-cream cake quietly delivered to your place at the table. Not being a big fan of ice cream, my wife opted for an amaretto cake that looked better than Baked Alaska. If we could have had our choice, we would have opted for some leftovers from Maya Chan!

Ed,

Fantastic review! Loved the good description of Maya Chan.

Just FYI, one reason ships leave CM early is the longer trip back from CM to PC versus Cozumel to PC. And for those cruisers who don't take advantage of Maya Chan, Nohoch Kay or David and Ivan's great Maya ruins tours (or Blue Lagoon tour) CM is just another port area visit. And on the Dream, many of these folks have had 3 in a row (Mahogany Bay, Belize City's Tourist Village, and CM's "beach/pool") and are probably getting a bit bored with it.

IMO if they did Cozumel last and left before 5 PM ship, you'd have several hundred pier runners thundering down the Puerta Maya pier like the start of a local Saturday 5K run. And they would ahve to sail back at a bit more hurried pace. I'm sure you being in the aft, noticed the ship sped up after midnight and slowed a bit after dawn, to make it more comfortable when most cruisers are up and about the ship; exception being the "shake awake thrusters,:D.

Come back to the Roll Call and let's chat a sec or two.

Stephen

Oh my lord... you have fanned the flames of excitement for Costa Maya and MayaChan!!! Now I cannot wait to see what that letter says when it comes to us a few weeks before our trip... the end of Nov seems too far away!! Man o man do I *LOVE* reviews like yours...

Oh my lord... you have fanned the flames of excitement for Costa Maya and MayaChan!!! Now I cannot wait to see what that letter says when it comes to us a few weeks before our trip... the end of Nov seems too far away!! Man o man do I *LOVE* reviews like yours...

I know what you mean--5 months out and the whole thing just seems like a Dream--no pun intended!

I'm glad I can give you some inspiration to hold on. Writing the review also helps to get over the shock of it all being over so quickly after so many months of planning and waiting. Enjoy the planning!

Maya Chan looks amazing - and now I might need to visit CM again? May I ask the cost per person and how you book it? Thanks!

Just book through their website:costamayabeachresort (dot) com

I think we only paid something like $55 per person! I kept thinking, I must have read something wrong, but everything but the massage was included. I did leave them a nice tip for taking such good care of us.

It was just a totally different kind of experience from any other cruise excursion.

I think we only paid something like $55 per person! I kept thinking, I must have read something wrong, but everything but the massage was included. I did leave them a nice tip for taking such good care of us.

It was just a totally different kind of experience from any other cruise excursion.

$55 per person which included your cab ride? That is awesome!

Just for anyone reading along, we did Native Choice in Costa Maya with our teens and we all enjoyed it.

Now I just have to figure out how to get back to Costa Maya for Maya Chan...:cool:

Great review and great pictures! Thanks so much for doing this. We're doing this itinerary next month, and I couldn't be more excited. I especially thank you for the parking tip and the Chef's Table details. Congrats to your wife on her PhD, too.

Glad I could help! I'll have a few more tips over the next day or two in the meantime, let me know if I can answer any questions. I know I continued to think of questions right up until the last day.

Have a great time on your trip.

Glad I could help! I'll have a few more tips over the next day or two in the meantime, let me know if I can answer any questions. I know I continued to think of questions right up until the last day.

Have a great time on your trip.

Post #122, was I correct?

Because of your amazing review and the further reviews I read on TripAdvisor I just booked this for our Dream cruise on July 9th - July 14th is the day we will be at this resort. Immediate reply from Mark on email. I am excited to do something different on a cruise... thank you for your recommendation...

Post #122, was I correct?

You sure were--correct on both photos. I'm not sure what happened--I posted a reply earlier, but it must not have gone through. The first picture was taken on top of the hill overlooking the international airport In Roatan where we were taken for some "shopping." The 2nd was in the cruise port in Costa Maya.

You're good at this. Where's today's photo from?

Because of your amazing review and the further reviews I read on TripAdvisor I just booked this for our Dream cruise on July 9th - July 14th is the day we will be at this resort. Immediate reply from Mark on email. I am excited to do something different on a cruise... thank you for your recommendation...

You are going to love it! As you've experienced already, they are the "real deal" from the moment you book your reservation until they put you in the cab and send you back to the cruise ship.

Enjoy! So glad I could help! Let us know how your day there goes.

We were on this cruise with you, in fact I was the one that was taking pictures of the food at Chef's table. I had no idea we weren't supposed to. Anyway, I just wanted to conform your comment regarding Maya Chan, you commented that you would do this entire cruise again just to go back there. Well we said the same thing, and two days ago, we did it, we book this same cruise again in January just so we can go back to Maya Chan. We absolutly LOVED it there, and Mark was just awesome!!! So everyone who is debating it, just go, go, go, it's the best money you will ever spend on an excursion!!!!!

P.S. I totally would have gotten the trivia picture of the hammocks at the end of the pier, if I would have read this before today.... I have the same picture.

We were on this cruise with you, in fact I was the one that was taking pictures of the food at Chef's table. I had no idea we weren't supposed to. Anyway, I just wanted to conform your comment regarding Maya Chan, you commented that you would do this entire cruise again just to go back there. Well we said the same thing, and two days ago, we did it, we book this same cruise again in January just so we can go back to Maya Chan. We absolutly LOVED it there, and Mark was just awesome!!! So everyone who is debating it, just go, go, go, it's the best money you will ever spend on an excursion!!!!!

P.S. I totally would have gotten the trivia picture of the hammocks at the end of the pier, if I would have read this before today.... I have the same picture.

What a coincidence! I guess great minds plan alike. I had no idea you guys were at Maya Chan. I'm really jealous you are going again! We're considering a cruise for next summer to celebrate our son's HS graduation. Just got to figure out how to pay for it!

What a fun and informative review!

I LOVED Costa Maya when I was there several years ago and I have been looking forward to booking a cruise that ports there.....now more than ever!!

(Since today's post is about Behind the Fun tour and there were no photos allowed, I'll add a few random photos throughout).

5887795380_0d6dd732c4.jpg

Dock at Goff's Caye

Behind the Fun Tour: For the second day in a row, I was having to set the alarm on my phone to wake us up early, but at least this time I remembered the phone was still set to Cozumel time rather than ship time. As I mentioned in one of my early posts, I had visited the excursion desk shortly after boarding the ship the first day to book the Behind the Fun Tour. You cannot book this tour in advance, and the cost is $95 per person. Our tour of 16 people was scheduled to depart at 9 AM, and there was a second group of 16 scheduled to depart 30 minutes later. That’s it—only 32 tickets are sold for this excursion.

As was the case with the Chef’s Table, we were once again instructed to meet in the Song Lounge which was just below our section of the ship, so we had our morning coffee and free muffins from the coffee shop and arrived at the lounge around 8:45 AM. Our guide greeted us when we arrived, and a table was set-up with juice, coffee, and those same pastries that appear daily. Once everyone had checked in, our guide introduced herself. Her name was Emma, and she was one of the two HR people on Dream. Her usual job is to handle orientation training for all new crew members, assist with English training, etc., but one day a week she gets to host the Behind the Fun Tour.

The instructions that came with our tickets said that no cameras were allowed on this tour, and I had read about this in numerous posts on CC before our trip. I thought about bringing my cell phone along like I did to the Chef’s Table, but in the end decided I better not. Good thing! The first thing that happens before you leave the room is that the group is introduced to the security guard assigned to the tour. He proceeded to “wand” us one at a time as we got up to leave for the tour, and all cameras and cell phones were confiscated until the end of the tour. They say that cameras are not allowed for security reasons, and I’m sure to some extent that is true, but I also think they might have another motivation. If everyone who took this tour was snapping photos and then posting them online, there would no longer be this great mystery “behind” the tour itself. This tour is not about the photo ops. Let’s face it, most of the areas of deck zero and below are not beautiful like the decks above, however, this tour is more about hearing from the people that keep the ship functioning while the passengers blissfully enjoy their vacation. It is extremely interesting!

5887231975_eb9678b68e.jpg

The atrium

In case you are reading this and you are planning on taking this tour, but don’t want to know too many details in advance, I’m going to answer some general questions here that might help. Then, you can skip the next post so you won’t know what’s on the tour.

Was it worth the money? Absolutely! Very different from any other excursion.

Is there really a lot of walking? Yes, and standing. You go, go, go for at least 3 hours with only two real opportunities to sit, but you also stand for long periods of time while you listen to department heads explain things. Most seemed genuinely excited to show off their area of the ship. You do go up and down stairs, and walk from one end of the ship to the other and back again.

5887790452_242cebb5f1.jpg

Cozumel's beautiful water

Do you get any breaks? There was one bathroom break in the middle, but Emma didn’t tell us that it was going to be our only break. Water and juice was available at that time as well, and chairs! There’s also a second opportunity to sit when you visit Emma's HR training room. This was a time Emma had set aside for Q & A, but most people looked like they were more interested in becoming one with the comfortable conference chairs.

Would you take the tour again? We are so glad we did the tour—my wife thought it was one of the highlights of the trip. I wouldn’t, however, find the need to take the tour a second time. Once you’ve seen it, it’s pretty much going to be similar on all ships (another reason for the “No cameras” rule). I was glad we saw it on the Dream because everything about the Dream is super-sized compared to other ships, and I’m sure many of the spaces below are bigger and grander as a result.

And now I'll move to a separate post for all the details (don’t read anymore if you want to be completely surprised)!

Archived