is velvet ok in the carribean

kellig

I always cruise in the winter and don't hesitate to bring my black velvet pants. I wear them with either a sequin top or a slinky tank top. I figure if I look good in the outfit and it's comfortable, why not? My pet peeve is women who wear clunky looking shoes with their formal attire. I vote for the sexy looking sandals - mine are satin with a touch of rhinestones - fun! I love formal night and can't wait to see what everyone is wearing!

People reply with the same topics over and over because there is interest in those topics.

Technically you should not wear white after Labor Day but I will on my cruise in October.. Velvet is a "winter fabric".. mostly because it is hot, hot, hot.. I have worn it in Ren Faire gard (yes I am a total nerd) and baked in the Michigan summber sun.. BUT if you look good in the dress, feel like a million bucks and are happy then why worry? It's not like you are wearing jeans on formal night (that's a joke folks).

Ehpride that is because you are young like my daughter, Meg. You girls have never known life withou air conditioning and so were never taught all those silly rules -ettiquite on what is proper to wear. Those reules are really archaic.{/QUOTE]

That's probably right. Living in the midwest, the white rule tends to come up. If I was living in a warmer region, it probably wouldn't as often. As for life without air conditioning, our power went out for a week in the middle of the summer once. We all were so hot! Iowa in the summer requires air conditioning!

Ehpride that is because you are young like my daughter, Meg. You girls have never known life withou air conditioning and so were never taught all those silly rules -ettiquite on what is proper to wear. Those reules are really archaic.{/QUOTE]

That's probably right. Living in the midwest, the white rule tends to come up. If I was living in a warmer region, it probably wouldn't as often. As for life without air conditioning, our power went out for a week in the middle of the summer once. We all were so hot! Iowa in the summer requires air conditioning!

I was in Dillards and was noticing the spring formals-Prom night is coming up for al the high schools. I saw several taffetta/satin type gowns with like a little embossed print in velvet. All these were done strapless or spaghetti strapped and backless. No warmth in those gowns for sure. It seems to me fashion designers are saying velvet is okay if they are done in spring formals now.

Ask your Mom (if she was around in the sixties-if not your Grand ma) if she remembers that old stiff heavy velvet that wrinkled like crazy once you sat in it. Now I CAN SEE why no one would wear that in a warm climate. If the temp was over 50 degrees you roasted. It was worse then wearing a heavy cabled knit wool. I can remember itching and burning up in velvet on like a 75 degree Christmas day. (That happens in Georgia. One day it is like 10 degrees and the next day it is like 75 even in Dec. and Jan.) I am glad I don't see that stuff anymore.

I was in Talbot's yesterday and saw a gorgeous velvet outfit. It was a tank top with a draped neckline and a pair of pants. It was done in a platinum color and the velvet was very soft, flowing and lush. I thought it would be nice to wear on a holiday cruise.

Archived