how to find a good TA?

I used a TA to book our upcoming curise. Wish we could use names etc. Am wondering if I used a good one. She knew to look at what was a good cabin and recommended midship since I have small bouts of seasickness. I like to use a TA that I can talk to . Have wondered if I should have tried an online TA??? Advise please as we will probably cruise again. Not many of our friends travel as mush as we do so asking friends is out.

I have a great PVP at Carnival. Get a good person at your favorite cruiseline who will have the inside scoop instead of a general TA with general knowledge, not specific knowledge of the product.

The best way to find a good TA is ask around on your cruise in person when you are on the cruise. Ask your dinner mates for instance or your CC roll call if people have a favorite TA who gives perks. If they dont give perks for booking,.. why would you not want to book direct?

I do use a TA because they discount substantially .. but I wouldnt recommend them for customer service.

I have been cruising 6 to 8 times a year so I use a combination.

I used a TA to book our upcoming curise. Wish we could use names etc. Am wondering if I used a good one. She knew to look at what was a good cabin and recommended midship since I have small bouts of seasickness. I like to use a TA that I can talk to . Have wondered if I should have tried an online TA??? Advise please as we will probably cruise again. Not many of our friends travel as mush as we do so asking friends is out.

The best way to find a good TA (since we are not allowed to mention names or contact info here on CC) is to ask others on your next cruise. Many passengers would love to share the name of their TA with you and they can give you first hand advise as to what their TA has offered them in terms of service, price and perks. Good Luck!

Thanks for posting. I have been looking for this question since last year.

This will be our third cruise and our third TA/Agency. I have not been happy with any of them, felt there was always info missing (they had never been on that ship, to those ports, or the embarking/disembarking area). Wondered why I would use a TA when I could have booked so much ourselves.

This cruise for Aug/11, I have had 3 TA's in the one office. From the first who could/would only book the cabin in a certain area (who no longer worked there, but no one else was picking up those emails did the office was contacted), to a senior TA who never returned emails about hotels until two months later and then insisted that the hotel I had been told was okay and booked was really bad. To top it off the Manager, who also would get info mixed up. Our names, contact numbers, wanted photo copies of passports, even when the info had been given Sept 2010. Insist that our package be delivered by delivery service, we live rural THEY DON'T COME TO OUR AREA!!!

Did we get a great cruise rate, YES

Air fare - when I requested a certain line the response "I would not choose that airline, lets look at another in a few weeks". I went with my chosen airline and am VERY happy with the $$$ paid

Hotels in London, Southampton and New York, booked ourselves

The only thing on this trip booked by the TA was the cruise, we have handled everything else (not by chose) because we felt we found the best rates.

So, how do you choose a TA, a Really good one, a really great question!

Rosemary

You find a good TA the same way an employer finds an employee. You interview a few and pick the one that you feel the most comfortable with. This should be someone who is interested in what you want, not what will gain him/her the most money. If a TA tries to get you to book with one particular line it may be because that line is offering the TA the best incentives.

Ask lots of questions. How long has the TA been in business? What personal experience with cruising does the TA have. What resources does the TA have access to? What is the TA's cancellation policy? My TA charges a $50 cancellation fee, however, when I had to cancel a cruise she waived the fee because I am a good customer. How does the TA handle price reductions? A price reduction means the TA will earn a smaller commission. Check out the TA with the BBB.

What professional organizations does the TA belong to. Ones to look for are ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents), ARTA (Association of Retail Travel Agents), NACOA (National Association of Cruise Only Agencies, CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) or Virtuoso Member (an invitation only organization consisting of the best of the best).

By the way, I just completed my eighteenth cruise, so I am no rookie and I prefer to us a TA to book my cruises.

When I was looking for a new TA, I went to several cruise shows and actually talked to all the TA's that were there. Found one I liked and had an office close by. I've used her for the last 7 years. I can run in and asked any questions if needed. She likes cruising as much as I do and has been on several cruise lines and different ships.

Archived