New to Cunard

billyelliot

Hi everybody:) This is my 1st post on the Cunnard site!

We have just booked our 1st Transatlantic crossing from New York!! We fly from London to spend a couple of days in Niagara, then the Amtrax train to New York, then 3 nights before we cross.

We have been on a few cruises with RCI and 1 just recently with P&O.I have always fancied this journey, so any tips welcome.

I was suprised to find 4 formal nights on a 7night crossing, but love dressing up so that will suit us.

Welcome to Cunard! You seem to have mastered several Cunard issues already--knowing that you will dress up and recognizing that it's a crossing not a cruise.

A crossing is wonderful. There are lots of lectures and other daytime activities, or you can simply sit and watch the ocean go by. There won't be lots of announcements reminding you about bingo (although there is bingo) or other activitites. It's all in the daily program. You may do as much or as little as you wish.

Formal nights are wonderful. In my experience, everyone dresses up, and people do not change into casual clothing after dinner. The ambiance of formal nights is one of my favorite things about a voyage with Cunard.

Food is good, service is good.

Start by looking through the Cunard site, and that might give rise to specific things you might ask. Also scroll through the first few pages here. There have been a number of questions about QM2 lately, so you can benefit from the responses.

One word of warning about your itinerary. I have relatives in Yorkshire and we visit about once a year. They keep telling us about the decline of the trains in the UK, but we take the train anyhow and love it. Please don't base your expectations of Amtrak on "your" trains. Your route from Niagara Falls will not be on the high-speed line, so it will be slower than you might be used to. OTOH, you will have some lovely scenery to watch. If it's a route that offers business class, the price difference usually isn't large, and it's a nice upgrade, espcially if you get one of the cars with the huge leather seats.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds wonderful!

Hi everybody:) This is my 1st post on the Cunnard site!

We have just booked our 1st Transatlantic crossing from New York!! We fly from London to spend a couple of days in Niagara, then the Amtrax train to New York, then 3 nights before we cross.

We have been on a few cruises with RCI and 1 just recently with P&O.I have always fancied this journey, so any tips welcome.

I was suprised to find 4 formal nights on a 7night crossing, but love dressing up so that will suit us.

I'm certain you'll have a great time on QM2 and I have little to add beyond what Kathy has already said.

I don't think you will find that the 4 formal nights are too onerous - you clearly already have the right attitude anyway. Personally I enjoy the formal nights more than the semi-formal, and much more than the elegant casual (or whatever it's called). The main reason for that is that I don't have to put any though into what I have to wear.

If you are at all interested in the ship for its own sake, make sure to find the little door that leads into the viewing area behind the bridge. You can see the radar plots and other instrumentation and watch the bridge team engaged in driving the ship. Fascinating stuff.

My personal favourite spot is the observation deck immediately below the bridge. It provides a terrific view forward over the bow and is a great place to be when entering and leaving NYC and Soton.

Have a terrific crossing.

J

Thank you for the tips!

I have already up graded on the Amtrak! I am looking forward to this trip (I always do) I am just a bit worried if I will get board? I enjoy musical theatre, and Im not sure QM2 offers this sort of entertainment at night?

I have certainly got a lot of reviewing to do yet!

I have added my name to the roll call, so count down starts here!!

Do you know if you can carry on wine for the state room? if so will I be able to buy a nice Australian Red? (my favorite tipple):eek:

Hi, my husband and did almost your trip 3 years ago. We started in Toronto then Niagra, NY and the Atlantic Crossing on QM2. The train from Niagra was very slow and although some snatches of scenery there were also lots of trees in the way so pack reading material or cards etc. We arrived two hours late into NY late at night but found taxis very easy and the city still wide awake.

QM2 was wonderful with very varied activities suited to both of us. The most difficult thing we found was finding each other to meet up again. There was so much to find on the ship we still found buts to explore on the final morning. Go positive and enjoy it all.

I hope you enjoy your departure from New York on the QM2 as much as we did our first. It was simply magical. There is so much activity upon departure, with small boats accompanying the QM2 at the prescribed distance, police helicopter circling, and the spectacular views New York offers. Quite the send off. Be sure to be up on deck to see it all!

We also love the many interesting activities the QM2 offers, including the excellent lectures, the planetarium shows, afternoon teas, formal evenings, and meeting interesting fellow passengers. I would also suggest that you have lunch one day in the pub as the chicken curry is quite good as is the fish and chips. Often, there is lively music there as well, which we enjoy.

Wishing you a wonderful trip. And, welcome to America. I hope you are greeted warmly all along the way and enjoy every minute.

Hi billyelliot, we're on your crossing with you.

Cunard does not limit your bringing on alcoholic beverages, "within reason." We've carried on 6 bottles of wine and some spirits for our previous cruises, for this shorter time we'll still carry on but probably fewer bottles of wine. If you bring wine into the dining room you'll pay a $20 fee for corkage. No problem to consume in your room but you might want to pack a corkscrew.

As most here will, I apologize in advance (a bit) about Amtrak. The Northeast corrider service (e.g., Boston to Washington) is efficient but you'll be a bit outside of that coming down from Niagara (By the way, you'll be doing the "shuffle off to Buffalo" route in reverse...). In my experience most rail lines give you a view of people's back yards. Don't plan your arrival day into New York too tightly - the train may or may not run on time.

Do you know if you can carry on wine for the state room? if so will I be able to buy a nice Australian Red? (my favorite tipple):eek:

Yes, you may, as well as spirits, beer and cider. Discretion is advised (we don't want to spoild a good thing).

A couple of other things you may find helpful: Your check in time is suggested. We have arrived in Brooklyn early each time and were able to board quickly despite our check-in time being several hours later. If you desire a cocktail after boarding the Terrace Bar on deck 8, aft, will be open. Chef's galley is a great place for lunch if you desire a nice sandwich. The spa will start running specials after a day or so at sea. It may be worthwhile to bring a powerstrip as there are few outlets in the cabins (the cabins are wired for both the US & UK standards). If dining in Britannia you may, somewhat, order off the menu. Steak, salmon & chicken are always availaboe for dinner. The Commodore's Club is a wonderful palce for a quiet cocktail. Have fun, it's a nice ship.

Hello there fellow Sheffielder, you'll have a ball, we have done 2 TA's now and the first leg of a World Cruise, we have made some great friends and I'm sure you will aswell. The thing is not to panic over anything just kick back and enjoy. Have a great trip.

Thanks everybody! Hi fellow Sheffielder! We in Chapeltown. How about u?

Couple of questions for u! How far to the port from central new York. We staying at park central which is near central park. Will we be able to get a taxi easily? Plus how much will the fare be? Also will I be able to Find somewhere to buy my wine before we board.

We've booked business class seats on the train. Are they a y better?

Thanks again. ;)

Thanks everybody! Hi fellow Sheffielder! We in Chapeltown. How about u?

Couple of questions for u! How far to the port from central new York. We staying at park central which is near central park. Will we be able to get a taxi easily? Plus how much will the fare be? Also will I be able to Find somewhere to buy my wine before we board.

We've booked business class seats on the train. Are they a y better?

Thanks again. ;)

You should be able to get a taxi from your hotel. If there's a doorman, he'll whistle for one for you. I don't know what the fare will be.

You'll have to look around to find a liquor store. In the city, they tend to be small. I'm not aware of any large wine store in mid-town, but since you have a few days in the city, you'll have time to find a liquor store. If your hotel has a concierge, he/she can help you with that info.

I think business class is always worth it on Amtrak. On some trains, the seats are 2/1 instead of 2/2 and they're big comfy recliners. On others, they're 2/2 but with more leg room than regular coach. It's usually quiet, as very few families with little kids travel in business class.

K

You certainly won't have a problem being bored! On some TAs we have been running to watch certain lectures or the jazz band in the pub, lol. Keep your daily programme with you to make sure you don't miss anything. On our first TA I circled everything of interest us with a pen. We were shattered. It's hard work on a crossing.

Seriously, you can do as much or as little as you fancy....just enjoy every second on the beautiful QM2 :D

We had 3 nights in New York before our TA 2 years ago. We found a small liquor store near our hotel (the Hilton on 7th Avenue and (I think) 47th) and bought 3 bottles to take on board. In that particular store the main selection was American wines. I didn't see any Aussie reds but the reds we got were Californian I think, and very pleasant. We also found the wine list in Britannia very good. There was 1 Aussie white that we loved and still keep trying to find here in the UK.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds wonderful.

Hey Billyelliot, we're in Gleadless other side of town. We visit New York alot as my OH's family live there, our first TA my OH said fancy sailing over instead of flying so his cousin picked us up and we went off to Long Island for 3 weeks, so I don't know about cab fares ect. Our 2nd TA was in Jan on QV where we met up with QM2 tor the first leg of the world cruise, so cunard took us in a coach from one ship to another there was a free city tour but as we visit often we didn't bother I'm so glad as it was so cold.

My DH and I will be on the QM2 TA from NY to Southhampton on Sept 5th.

Have done considerable cruising, but never a crossing; with no ports.

we know september still holds some risk of atlantic hurricanes. any experience with this?

What is the weather like on the crossing? For example, are you able to walk the deck, does one need a coat that time of year?

During the day walking around in the ship, is it generally airconditioned? other things you might be willing to advise a new crosser.

thanks in advance, Tania

We sailed out of NYC on the heels of a hurricane the first weekend in September last year (Isaac?) after spending an unscheduled overnight in NY harbor. I recall that the winds were force 9 (certainly it wasn't sea state 9) - the waves were maybe 15 feet and noticeable roll in the ship but not at all unpleasant. I don't know how much latitude there is to avoid weather on a crossing; ordinarily a ship would avoid a significant storm where possible.

Archived