What have you used the concierge or butler service for?

cricket

I often don't use all of my OBC especially with the perks given for an upcoming cruise. Does anyone know how to use the OBC to give the Butler or Concierge?

Just go to guest services and ask them to make out a voucher using your obc for the amount you want to tip the butler and concierge.

I'm smiling because I reverse it as the Butler does more for me than the concierge does. I start at $10.00 a day for the Buter and $5.00 a day for the Concierge and go up/down from there depending on service/requests.

Harriet

Butler $7.50pp per day is a good starting point and the concierge $5-$10 per day total.

They did put pp after the $7.50 and not after the $5-$10 so looks like they feel the same way you do:)

We tip the butler more also, we don't use the concierge at all but still tip because they send out all the invites, etc.

Butler $7.50pp per day is a good starting point and the concierge $5-$10 per day total.

They did put pp after the $7.50 and not after the $5-$10 so looks like they feel the same way you do:)

We tip the butler more also, we don't use the concierge at all but still tip because they send out all the invites, etc.

Thank you, I did miss the pp. However, it's really up to each person....there really is no right or wrong.

Harriet

I will be traveling with my Sisters on a cruise in a suite. What (if I am not being rude) is the suggested tip for such services, Butler and Concierge? I don't know how much we will use their services, but I don't want to uninformed regarding tipping. I tried finding a guide, but only saw what another poster paid per person, per day and would like to know what is traditional/expected for the services. Thanks

I don't remember what I tipped (it was seven years ago). However ...

1) The tip should be based on how much you use them and how hard it is to fulfill your request.

2) There are some tipping guidelines. Take a look at this from Cruise Critic ...

http://http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=266

Celebrity recommends a tip of $3.50 per person per day for the butler.

Here is another Cruise Critic article on the subject. At the end the recommended tip for the butler is $5 / day ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

You should tip an amount that you feel comfortable with. I've seen recommendations of $40 to $100 for a seven night cruise for the butler. That is about $6 to $14 per night.

And I can't wait for the flaming, because tipping is a very HOT topic on these boards and there will be someone who thinks these numbers are not enough and others who will say it is too much.

All I can tell you is, when I tipped my butler he was surprised because he didn't think he did anything for me (when in fact he had).

• 1 month later...

This is all very interesting and informative. We just traded our 2 connecting balcony rooms for a suite this summer for my birthday, and I can't wait! I don't think we have a lot of use for a butler, but we are prepared to tip generously for a small amount of added ease and pampering. My only worry is that it seems like a family of 6 may be more likely to skimp on tips for the butler, and our service may suffer due to that perception.

I am surprised that some don't think the butler and concierge should be tipped at all. I think the butler service would probably be less spotty (as I have seen reviews here varying wildly) if the cruise lines provided a guideline. A butler's job isn't easy and then the return on that hard work in any one cabin could be $10 for the week, or hundreds...or nothing at all! I personally don't mind if they end up with a salary higher than my own, they deserve a nice tip from me for good service to my family and if that adds up, then good for them!