What have you used the concierge or butler service for?

cricket

You as a English major need to be captian obvious and point out everyones spell errors. Sorry my spell check was not on my phone. Geeze. And by pointing that out I guess you are the one trying to impress? correct. Are you tipping an extra $500 a week like your buddy and bashing giving people a lesson on tipping. I am glad I am among experts in this matter what class did you go to I want to sign up. You cant use cyber metrics to figure out tipping and this whole if you dont tip like this you should not be in a suite thing is obsurd. 99% of cruiser are middle class dont kid your self in pretending your one of the 1%.

I do not know what games you are trying to play... but you show a quote from me above # 74... Please see post # 70 that quote was from someone else (AlaskaAtLast). She was referencing my earlier post... but now YOU make it look like those were my words! I stand by my own comments... but please do not put words in my mouth. Not cool.

I do not know what games you are trying to play... but you show a quote from me above # 74... Please see post # 70 that quote was from someone else (AlaskaAtLast). She was referencing my earlier post... but now YOU make it look like those were my words! I stand by my own comments... but please do not put words in my mouth. Not cool.

Agreed. Clearly someone is just trying to start a fight.

Personally, I don't claim or pretend to be one of the 1%, nor do I tip like that. However, I do believe in paying for what I get (service or otherwise) and tip accordingly. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would remove the DSC. There are a lot of hardworking people on the ship that I never see that deserve the extra money they get from the DSC.

I tip when I get drinks and will tip the room steward, concierge and butler at the end of the week. The amount will depend on how much my family and I use their services. I'm not saying anyone else has to do it that way, but I don't think anyone should be attacked for tipping as they see fit. I think many people come on a thread like this looking for a rough guideline as to what is appropriate or customary. It is not helpful to have to slog through posts filled with accusations and name calling.

Agreed. Clearly someone is just trying to start a fight.

Personally, I don't claim or pretend to be one of the 1%, nor do I tip like that. However, I do believe in paying for what I get (service or otherwise) and tip accordingly. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would remove the DSC. There are a lot of hardworking people on the ship that I never see that deserve the extra money they get from the DSC.

I tip when I get drinks and will tip the room steward, concierge and butler at the end of the week. The amount will depend on how much my family and I use their services. I'm not saying anyone else has to do it that way, but I don't think anyone should be attacked for tipping as they see fit. I think many people come on a thread like this looking for a rough guideline as to what is appropriate or customary. It is not helpful to have to slog through posts filled with accusations and name calling.

Thanks for replying.

We are definately on the same page. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my two cents on the whole tipping situation.

1) We are not rich, but we travel in suites because we like the extra space and amenities.

2) We tip based on the service we receive. We always leave the DSC in place, and tip a little extra after each drink. The crew members work very hard and they DESERVE every penny they get.

3) In terms of the butler and concierge, our general rule is $10 per day per person for the butler, and $5 per person per day. However, we adjust accordingly to the service we receive. For example, if the butler serves us dinner in our room, we double the tip for that day. We also always bring thank you cards to give to the butler and concierge at the end of the cruise to let them know that we appreciate their service.

Hope that this helps somebody and does not offend others.

Here are my two cents on the whole tipping situation.

1) We are not rich, but we travel in suites because we like the extra space and amenities.

2) We tip based on the service we receive. We always leave the DSC in place, and tip a little extra after each drink. The crew members work very hard and they DESERVE every penny they get.

3) In terms of the butler and concierge, our general rule is $10 per day per person for the butler, and $5 per person per day. However, we adjust accordingly to the service we receive. For example, if the butler serves us dinner in our room, we double the tip for that day. We also always bring thank you cards to give to the butler and concierge at the end of the cruise to let them know that we appreciate their service.

Hope that this helps somebody and does not offend others.

Thank you for the information. I will use this as a guide to help save for our Dawn Suite cruise!

Someone posted in the middle of all the arguing that you can get French press coffee delivered each morning. Is that correct? Anyone know if this so offered in the Haven restaurant or Cagney's for breakfast. Thanks

It is standard way of serving coffee to VIP/suite passengers, both to cabin and in private breakfast/lunch venue.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished read through this topic and found it very interesting and informative. DH and I will be in our 1st suite on the Dawne next year. It's helpful to see what others do as far as tipping the butler and concierge. Now that the DSC is higher for Suite guests, will you still tip the same or adjust what you usually do? The info on NCL's website about the DSC leaves me wondering if the butler and concierge are included or not. I will of course still tip all who give great service, but after reading this thread wonder how the rest of you feel.

I just finished read through this topic and found it very interesting and informative. DH and I will be in our 1st suite on the Dawne next year. It's helpful to see what others do as far as tipping the butler and concierge. Now that the DSC is higher for Suite guests, will you still tip the same or adjust what you usually do? The info on NCL's website about the DSC leaves me wondering if the butler and concierge are included or not. I will of course still tip all who give great service, but after reading this thread wonder how the rest of you feel.

The butler and concierge are not included in the DSC. I know the wording is confusing, however, they are not.

Harriet

To be honest, I'm having a hard time figuring out just how much they really are useful. I believe in giving my waiters and assistants good tips, as they physically work so hard to please us as passengers, but I just read where the concierge and butler expect gratuity , also. I can't imagine paying already thousands more for getting that service per person and then turning around to tip them more. I am just as able to make phone calls as they are. I guess for a butler they may do some special things you want them to do, like get your clothes cleaned or pressed but I just don't think paying soooooooooo much more for their service and then tip then also is worth it. I hope I am not taken wrong...don't want to start WW3 lol!! Maybe if I am more enlightened to just what they do I might appreciate the extra expense. Be easy on me now as I truely believe in tipping!

My butler was surprised when I tipped him. He felt he had not done anything for me. However, he got my laundry done express without the extra cost of the express service. He brought me a couple of movies to watch. He brought me extra afternoon snacks when I had guests.

I used the concierge for all my reservations and when I got locked in the cabin (yes, the outside door handle worked fine, but the inside one didn't work at all - until the carpenter came and fixed it).

You tip them based on how much work they do for you. You tip the butler more if you have a special dinner in your cabin every other night and less if all (s)he does is bring you afternoon snacks.

You tip the concierge more if (s)he manages to get you booked into special hard to get into places and less if all (s)he does is make sure everything is alright.

I never planned to use either that much, but they did make life a little nicer for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Do people give the butler or concierage tips in cash or against their onboard account?

I often don't use all of my OBC especially with the perks given for an upcoming cruise. Does anyone know how to use the OBC to give the Butler or Concierge?

My butler was surprised when I tipped him. He felt he had not done anything for me. However, he got my laundry done express without the extra cost of the express service. He brought me a couple of movies to watch. He brought me extra afternoon snacks when I had guests.

I used the concierge for all my reservations and when I got locked in the cabin (yes, the outside door handle worked fine, but the inside one didn't work at all - until the carpenter came and fixed it).

You tip them based on how much work they do for you. You tip the butler more if you have a special dinner in your cabin every other night and less if all (s)he does is bring you afternoon snacks.

You tip the concierge more if (s)he manages to get you booked into special hard to get into places and less if all (s)he does is make sure everything is alright.

I never planned to use either that much, but they did make life a little nicer for me.

I will be traveling with my Sisters on a cruise in a suite. What (if I am not being rude) is the suggested tip for such services, Butler and Concierge? I don't know how much we will use their services, but I don't want to uninformed regarding tipping. I tried finding a guide, but only saw what another poster paid per person, per day and would like to know what is traditional/expected for the services. Thanks

Someone posted in the middle of all the arguing that you can get French press coffee delivered each morning. Is that correct? Anyone know if this so offered in the Haven restaurant or Cagney's for breakfast. Thanks

Search for my "coffee snobs" thread. It's a good source for coffee info, including how to get French pressed coffee.

Search for my "coffee snobs" thread. It's a good source for coffee info, including how to get French pressed coffee.

If in a suite or Haven it's in the restaurant for all meals you have there.

Otherwise, if it's not the Suite restaurant for Breakfast/lunch or the Haven restaurant I really don't know as I've never asked for it elsewhere.

Harriet

Butler $7.50pp per day is a good starting point and the concierge $5-$10 per day total.

I'm smiling because I reverse it as the Butler does more for me than the concierge does. I start at $10.00 a day for the Buter and $5.00 a day for the Concierge and go up/down from there depending on service/requests.

Harriet