Voyager vs Seabourn Odyssey

tnr

I have really enjoyed the other thread here on Mariner vs Crystal vs Oceania. We will be going to Australia/New Zealand in 2013. The Seabourn pricing is already out and will probably be very competitive with Regent's. Seabourn has always interested me, and especially with the new concierge program, could wind up being a better deal for us. I don't care to upgrade to a D category, and may have to pay for some private tours on top of the Regent price. I would love to hear other opinions on Seabourn. Would you sail with them, and why?

the SB is superior in every respect...mainly, NO VIBRATION like Voyager,,that was a BIG factor to me...SB Sojourn,and sister ship Odyssey ,,,very smooth even in rougher seas,,,

Then food,service,excursions,,which are paid for but superior and worth it...all top of the line...

Main difference is size,,,700 as compared to SB 400,,,no lines,easy table for 2 in main rest..with fast,polite service and food which was 5stars ,or more,,,good entertainment,nice lectures,,good go on and on..

Will definitely sail with them again,,that said have Dec.cruise booked on Mariner,,,and HOPE I like it as much,first time on that one...

So a bigs thumbs up from me....:D

Alexandra, I'm wondering how this smaller ship would be on a crossing. Any thoughts? I love Voyager, by the way, but haven't cruised anything but Regent.

What about the stuffiness factor? I understand that the dress code is stricter--a sports coat minimum for dinner for men, at least on some nights.

to answer,,,no stuffiness at all,,everyone,guests and staff very down to earth and friendly,,re sports coat,,hubby took 1 and wore it on optional formal nite,,,only a few tuxs seen,,did wear other nites for warmth,since in Norway haha...can eat in 4 locations and just wore sweater and shirt much of time..no one cares as long as you re happy,it seems...

Remember you had same room as I did,,on Voyager,,and vibration didnt bother you,,like me,hubby says "princess and pea" syndrome..but SB was so smooth even in open ocean on north sea,,and trans cruise would be no problem..give it a try,,promise it wont disappoint..PS,,,liked it even better than SeaDream,another luxury cruiseline and more expensive..PS..balconies are bigger,,lounge chairs and table,,but walk in closet not as big as V...if you go,,get referral coupon onSB CC site,,got $400 off..;)

I am afraid I don't agree. You will get a wonderful cruise whichever line you take. But for me Regent and Voyager shade it over Seabourn (Sojourn, in my case)

Even though the passenger count is 700 max, I have never waited in a line in Compass Rose and have always got a suitable table,I did have to wait on a couple of occasions at the MDR on Sojourn and window tables are snapped up early.

That said, the pool deck service is better on Sojourn. The variety of food and outlets are better on Regent. Suites are great on both lines, but you have to go up to V% for a good balcony on Seabourn. The theatre on Seabourn Sojourn has big pillars in line of sight and isn't a patch on the Constellation theatre. There is a great area on Seabourn's new ships called Seabourn Square which Regent could well copy if they build a new ship. Apart from that the public areas are better. The Observation lounge, in particular is bigger and brighter and on Seabourn smoking is allowed there on the starboaed side. Indeed there are ashtrays and matches on the tables there.

It comes down to itinerary and price. Both should give you a great experience.

Alexandra and Orpington, how were the activities and entertainment onboard the Seabourn ships?

Plenty of activities on both, but the lecturers were, IMO, inferior on Seabourn. However this could vary from cruise to cruise. The poor theatre on Sojourn meant that production shows were difficult and even the screen for slides or films were in triplicate because of the big pillars obstructing sight lines.

both are great ships,,and either would be fine,,my experience and that of Orpington obviously different...

I enjoyed the lectures,,and yes had 3 screens,,but pillars didnt bother me,,just sat so not directly behind one,no problem..

Activities on both varied and many to choose from...PS..no problem getting table for 2,,by window,,,anytime for dinner on SB...not so on Voyager..and service was very slow last time on V,actually have read about others here that had same problem...

I m more about itinerary,,,even plan on trying Siverseas next summer for Black sea,,since they offer more ports..and have never been on them either...good to branch out...and AMA rivercruise to Prague and Budapest...this cruising business is FUN>...:D

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am still torn,as it seems that either would make me very happy. I guess I will just wait until the pricing comes out and do an apple to apple comparison.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am still torn,as it seems that either would make me very happy. I guess I will just wait until the pricing comes out and do an apple to apple comparison.

Without wishing to be patronising, I think you are being very sensible.

Archived