African Safaries

ckl001

Hi Chez,

I have just seen your log from your cruise to Africa.

I wondered how you went, we are on the Ocean princess next March, Sydney to Cape Town, and we want to do a Safari after we arrive in Africa.

There seems to be a 3 day tour with Princess from Durban to Phinda reserve, it is $2000 !! But no info other than that is on line.

What did you do in the end, and did you enjoy your cruise and Safari?

Hope to hear from you

B&B

Just a suggestion why not disembark in Durban go on safari for 3 nights and return to Cape Town to re board. Check out Tanda Tula...an amazing game lodge with wonderful game drives. Even saw white lion last time we were there. It is a luxury tented camp. Enjoy

Yes, I think a private overnight stay may be cutting it a bit fine. If you could stay for longer, it would however be an option to look at a private safari as in the case of "Put me on a Boat".

I also agree that Kruger/Sabi is a better option but that would involve too many connecting flights.

I have done considerable research into private overnight tours versus excursions run by the cruise lines.

#1 - Yes, you do have some risk working with an outside vendor. When you book a ship excursion they take responsibility for getting you back to the ship on time. So you have to evaluate your risk tolerance. I know lots of passengers who ONLY book their ship's excursions.

#2 - When booking a private tour, whether it is a day trip or an overnight, it is important to add in a fudge factor. On a day trip, don't try to arrive at the ship just before it sails. Similarly, when doing an overnight, add a fudge factor. That could mean giving yourself a half day or even a full day. In the case of of your multi-day safari, you could leave from Durban and meet the ship in Cape Town.

#3 - When working with an outside vendor BE SURE they are a top flight company with a proven track record. I found numerous well established vendors who will help book your safari. Remember your cruise line is also using an outside vendor just like you are.

#4 - Use your ship's excursion itinerary as a guide. First price that itinerary to see if the savings are worth any additional risk. If they are, then modify the itinerary with the help of your vendor to meet your wants and needs

Over the years we have used lots of private vendors. In some locations, like in Bora Bora, just about everyone uses Patrick so much so that many ships now even recommend him.

Don't be intimidated by others fears and DO NOT COMPROMISE. How many times will you back in Africa? Evaluate your own risk tolerance, the amount of savings, and have a great time.

B&B-I agree with Houtbay's suggestion of leaving Durban for a safari on the 2nd and rejoining your cruise in Cape Town on the 5th. South African Airways flies non-stop from Durban to Kruger (MQP) one hour 20' and Kruger to CPT 2 hr 40'. Staying 2-3 days at a lodge with drives in the early morning and at dusk will maximize your opportunities of seeing wildlife. There are many lodges and I can highly recommend Thornybush but check out others in the area as rates differ. Don't miss the chance and enjoy!

http://www.thornybush.co.za/

I am also interested in a safari, possibly in conjunction with a Silversea cruise Feb 2014.-either pre- or post cruise. Someone recommended Tauck tours, but they seem quite expensive. I do like to stay in nice places and I was thinking of visiting game parks, etc. in Kenya and Tanzania. Would this be something I could easily arrange myself, or would it be better to hire a "company"? Is February a good time of year for this type of excursion?

Thanks,

Kathy

I am also interested in a safari, possibly in conjunction with a Silversea cruise Feb 2014.-either pre- or post cruise. Someone recommended Tauck tours, but they seem quite expensive. I do like to stay in nice places and I was thinking of visiting game parks, etc. in Kenya and Tanzania. Would this be something I could easily arrange myself, or would it be better to hire a "company"? Is February a good time of year for this type of excursion?

Thanks,

Kathy

For a first time safari, I would utilize the expertise of a company. Looking for one that specializes in small groups and uses open vehicles that go off road will enhance your experience. There is a ton of info out there from fellow travelers and the link below will get you started in determining the best area to go in February. Also, be sure to check out Trip Advisor's Africa forums as there is a lot of information there as well. You won't regret a safari adventure while in this part of the world pre or post cruise.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafariguide/a/whensafari.htm

Thanks,

Kathy

I went on a safari to Tanzania in February 2012. It was put together by a tour company that only deals with college alumni groups. Unfortunately, you can't book a tour with them directly as an unaffiliated individual. It was a fabulous 9-day trip through the "Northern Route": Arusha, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, Olduvai Gorge, and The Serengeti. The cost was ~$6000 without airfare.

Several people on that tour highly recommended Tauck. I just looked at the prices on their website, and they are very reasonable for the number of days and the variety of locations (although they fly you between locations on part of the itinerary which adds another ~$1000). I'm drooling over their 13-day Tanzania/Kenya trip.

There are many companies that offer Tanzania safaris. Why go to a "game park" when you can see the animals in the wild (national parks)?

Tauck uses some of the same hotels that we stayed at: the Serena Lodges in Ngorongoro Crater and in the Serengeti. Beautiful! See the photos on their website:

http://www.serenahotels.com/serenangorongoro/

http://www.serenahotels.com/serenaserengeti/

We traveled in a safari truck - unlike Tauck, no small planes between some locations. You don't rent a car and drive to these national parks. There are no gas stations way out there, no one to help if you break down. They're not day trips. The road we were on between Ngorongo and The Serengeti was unpaved. The national parks also have strict rules and require permits.

February is a wonderful time to go to Tanzania. Lots of baby animals! The Great Migration of wildebeests and zebras (which is amazing) is in the southeastern part of The Serengeti in February:

map_great_migration.jpg

My TA mentioned Tauck tours. Has anyone used this tour group for Africa? I looked and their itinerary for Kenya and Tanzania looks good, but a little expensive at > $9000. I do not want to do a budget type experience - but not extra deluxe either. I like staying in nice hotels, and maybe some tent type camps. I am also concerned about personal safety.

Thanks,

kathy

For a first time safari, I would utilize the expertise of a company. Looking for one that specializes in small groups and uses open vehicles that go off road will enhance your experience. There is a ton of info out there from fellow travelers and the link below will get you started in determining the best area to go in February. Also, be sure to check out Trip Advisor's Africa forums as there is a lot of information there as well. You won't regret a safari adventure while in this part of the world pre or post cruise.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafariguide/a/whensafari.htm

I have done many safari's and have found the best area is Timbavati where there are numerous game lodges. Go to rhinoafrica site. We have used them a few times. Easy to get a flight from Durban to Phalaborwa via Johannesburg and most of the lodges will even pick you up at the airport. Reboard the ship in Cape Town but give yourself at least 3 nights at the lodge. You will enjoy every moment!!

someone else mentioned Micato tours- but they seem even more expensive than Tauck. I can only take less than 3 weeks vacation total. Any suggestion for an add-on for the Kenya and Tanzania tour?

Thanks,

Kathy

We have been to East Africa 4 times now - 2 x with Micato (Group tours - 2006 and 2007) and 2 x with DK Grand Safaris (Private Safaris 2009 & 2013).

We LOVED Micato, but it is a 'group' trip & we wanted to try a 'private' trip. The private trips ended up to be cheaper than the group trips as we could customize it - we stayed in a mixture of mainstream (not budget - but middle of the road) and high-end lodging. The trip we just got back from was three weeks, but you can do it nicely in two. You can also do one country or the other in a week if you need to.

East Africa is an AMAZING place, we just keep going back! Let me know if you need any specific info, I can post my gmail address here for you, or answer through here.

Archived