Galveston Weather in February

Ya know I just dont think you can predict the weather it varys so darn much. I had a foot of snow on my way to houston in april one year.

Januarys and Februarys can be from one extreme to another. One very late January I stayed in Galveston the night before and it was close to 80 that day in TX. Galveston about 75, so darn nice.

You can generally sit out by late afternoon the first sea day, but it might be sunny in the 60s for instance. 70s in the ports. up to the low 80s if you get lucky. We have had 60s even in Progresso, from Ecstasy out of Galveston, and 70s the next day in Cozumel.

Jan & Feb can be our coldest months. We have sailed several mid Marches from Galveston and been down-right cold. The kids were the only ones in the pools and they had on wetsuits. Once in the Caribbean, it gets warmer and you might be ok. Lots of people layed out on deck. Texas weather is just too unpredictable. I always take a jacket.

Ya know I just dont think you can predict the weather it varys so darn much. I had a foot of snow on my way to houston in april one year.

Januarys and Februarys can be from one extreme to another. One very late January I stayed in Galveston the night before and it was close to 80 that day in TX. Galveston about 75, so darn nice.

You can generally sit out by late afternoon the first sea day, but it might be sunny in the 60s for instance. 70s in the ports. up to the low 80s if you get lucky. We have had 60s even in Progresso, from Ecstasy out of Galveston, and 70s the next day in Cozumel.

So its a crap shoot I guess huh? I am afraid of freezing on first and last seaday. Oh well I guess we will wait and see. Thank you.

We have cruised out of Galveston on a number of Feb. cruises. It is vert unpredictable. This past Feb. we were to leave on the Ecstacy on Saturday and the fog was awful. Port was closed all day Saturday and ship did not arrive until about 3 Sunday afternoon and did not set sail until 2 on Monday afternoon,as you know you just gotta roll with the flow.

We have cruised out of Galveston on a number of Feb. cruises. It is vert unpredictable. This past Feb. we were to leave on the Ecstacy on Saturday and the fog was awful. Port was closed all day Saturday and ship did not arrive until about 3 Sunday afternoon and did not set sail until 2 on Monday afternoon,as you know you just gotta roll with the flow.

Yikes! These responses do not sound too promising. lol

I went in Feburary 2008 and it was nice, but not hot. I still wore shorts and a tank top. Alas, at home it was a balmy -40ish Celcius so I didn't care if it was not quite perfect tank top weather considering at home I would have been wearing two layers of clothes and still freezing..

The Galveston website does say the temperatures so you can check it out a month before and see what the weather is like....

We cruised out of Galveston 3rd week of March last year. We left home, Little Rock, AR, and it was 70 degrees. By the time we reached Houston, it was 32 with a windchill of 22. We stopped at Target in Webster to try to buy jackets. Brrr.....

It was also in the 70's that morning in Galveston when we left home, but as you see, a cold front came thru! Brrr...... Things warmed up the 2nd sea day.

I've sailed from Galveston in Feb many times...

2011: Left Austin in snow... and sailed away needing a jacket and long pants!!! Had a balcony and wore a hoodie and jacket on the first sea day... In Progreso, it was GREAT!!!!

2010: Feb... COLD and WINDY leaving in Feb. Needed to wear my jacket and the robe from the cabin!!! Brrrr...

2008: Feb... 80+ weather... HEAVY FOG!!! When we finally sailed away the following day, It was wonderful and tshirt weather!!!

2007: Feb: Pleasant, 70s, sunny

2006: Feb ... First time cruising, just needed long sleeved t-shirt... Wonderful weather!!!

Who knows what the weather will be like????

I've sailed from Galveston in Feb many times...

2011: Left Austin in snow... and sailed away needing a jacket and long pants!!! Had a balcony and wore a hoodie and jacket on the first sea day... In Progreso, it was GREAT!!!!

2010: Feb... COLD and WINDY leaving in Feb. Needed to wear my jacket and the robe from the cabin!!! Brrrr...

2008: Feb... 80+ weather... HEAVY FOG!!! When we finally sailed away the following day, It was wonderful and tshirt weather!!!

2007: Feb: Pleasant, 70s, sunny

2006: Feb ... First time cruising, just needed long sleeved t-shirt... Wonderful weather!!!

Who knows what the weather will be like????

Looks like the weather gets worse and worse every year! Snow in 2011 so that only leaves a blizzard for 2012. LOL Great!

Looks like the weather gets worse and worse every year! Snow in 2011 so that only leaves a blizzard for 2012. LOL Great!

Hey snow is nothing, it iced up here in Dallas and we got stuck for a week. Even the schools shut down. Snow you can sort of handle.

Hey snow is nothing, it iced up here in Dallas and we got stuck for a week. Even the schools shut down. Snow you can sort of handle.

Oh yes I know all about the snow living in New England....that is what I want to get away from on my vacation. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best! :D

Galveston cruises in February are a great time to go.

Here's the deal. Colder weather comes in from the north. The wind will be following you out to sea, and unless it's a really strong front pushing the wind you will have the wind at your back for the first sea day. That makes for a less breezy time on deck and balcony. The coldest time will be at sail away, and you can expect a range from 40's to 70 depending on the forecast.

Usually by 12:00pm and the latest 2:00pm the weather is warmer, and shorts are the norm for lido deck activities. The pool can be a little cold.

Day two will be great, and the wind will have decreased. Besides, you will be in port.

Coming back is a little unpredictable. The north wind will be in your face over the bow, and you can expect some rolling swells with waves 5' to 7' on most days. The ship will rock a little to perhaps a lot. We've made that run a dozen times and have only seen the sea sick bags out around the ship once.

Look at the ten day forecast for Galveston before you leave. If a strong weather front is due to hit the area the day before your day at sea then expect a windy, cold and rolling ride home. We like those days! Shorts, sweatshirts and fun times goofing off.

Ya got my experience, and my opinions too!

Actually, I'm planning to cruise in Feb 2012... We take Mom for her birthday... 2/6 ... And I've put in the order for at least 65 degrees... AND NO FOG!!!! (till the day we return and are forced to stay on the ship an extra day or so... :rolleyes: :cool: )

I'll pray you're sail away is bright and wonderful!!!!

Oh yes I know all about the snow living in New England....that is what I want to get away from on my vacation. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best! :D

My daughter lives in New Hampshire... I should get her to come down with you... and you'd all go home with a sunburn to brag about!!!!

My daughter lives in New Hampshire... I should get her to come down with you... and you'd all go home with a sunburn to brag about!!!!

LOL, so she knows how darn horrible these winters can be! I am going to summon the sun gods. Hey if it is cold, I'll jump right in the hot tub!:D

My January cruise out of Galveston was not pleasant weatherwise for the first and final days at sea. Rough water and too cold to enjoy being on deck. I have no issues with seasickness, but there were little white bags placed all around the ship - the only time I've seen that.

I vowed to stick with San Juan and Florida ports.

Winter typically hits here in January and February. In fact this past 02/04/11, we had an ice storm that shut everything down. It was pretty treacherous, as we're totally incapable of driving in it.

Like others have mentioned it can be a crap shoot.

Archived