PLEASE comment on my excursions

j cruiser

Hi!

Family of 4 traveling first time to Alaska on Golden Princess, 2 adults, 2 kids age 6 and 10. Here's what we have planned via cruise excursions (though I am now looking into private sightseeing).

Please let me know if these are good choices. It's worth the cost to me if they are good since we only take trips every few years. But I don't want to spend the money if they are not.

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour

Skagway: Yukon Jeep Adventure and Klondike Summit (have heard very little about this)

OR White Pass Scenic Railway

Ketchikan: Neets Bay Bear Watch

Victoria: Butchart Gardens (evening)

Thanks for your input!!!

You've picked some fabulous excursions! The only one I would change is Skagway - would rent a car and drive up into the Yukon, rather than the jeep excursion or even the train (w/youngsters, I'd think they'd be bored). Driving in Skagway was my husband's favorite excursion, and tons cheaper than anything else we could have done. We stopped when and where we wanted to, the scenery was spectacular, and we saw two bears and a moose. Had lunch at Spirit Lake Lodge - best darn fresh blueberry pie ever! Then onto Emerald Lake - the view is worth the ride! Stunning! And we still had time to walk around the town itself before sailaway. You've obviously been doing your homework - and yes, Alaska excursions are expensive, but oh so worth it! Enjoy your trip!

Hi!

Family of 4 traveling first time to Alaska on Golden Princess, 2 adults, 2 kids age 6 and 10. Here's what we have planned via cruise excursions (though I am now looking into private sightseeing).

Please let me know if these are good choices. It's worth the cost to me if they are good since we only take trips every few years. But I don't want to spend the money if they are not.

Skagway: Yukon Jeep Adventure and Klondike Summit (have heard very little about this)

Thanks for your input!!!

Your line up is very similar to what we did!

Skagway: Yukon train & bus tour (Chilkoot Charters)

Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier Dog Sledding (TEMSCO)

Ketchikan: Anan Creek Bear Viewing (Family Air)

I think you'll love it!

Read the detailed review with photos of my Alaska cruise:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Those are very similar choice to the ones I made for my upcoming cruise in August. I'm taking the jeep tour, because it's just myself and my 6 year old. I did look into a rental car. It was rather expensive for the one day, but quite doable.

When are you sailing?

In my opinion, I've seen those "jeeps" many times. All they do is follow the leader and its mostly road driving. Don't expect anything more than a very high cost Klondike Highway transit with time limitations (which frankly you do not want here).

Superior is renting a car. Only major is Avis, which is all I will use. AND printing out and taking with you "Murray's Guide". Plenty to see and enjoy along the way. You may want to consider a stop at Caribou Crossing.

In my opinion, I've seen those "jeeps" many times. All they do is follow the leader and its mostly road driving. Don't expect anything more than a very high cost Klondike Highway transit with time limitations (which frankly you do not want here).

Superior is renting a car. Only major is Avis, which is all I will use. AND printing out and taking with you "Murray's Guide". Plenty to see and enjoy along the way. You may want to consider a stop at Caribou Crossing.

Different people have different "wants". I would say the tour is superior due to my "wants and needs".

My suggestion is search the threads here about the Gardens out of Victoria. IMHO that was very dissapointing, not enough time if you are doing the evening dock and go.

Hi!

Thanks for your input!!!

Caribou Crossing has a museum, small restaurant, and best, a couple of dog mushers who will take you on a dry land mush if you prearrange it. Her name was Marilyn. Here is the website with all they have to offer:

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/thingstodo.html

Boulders-We are cruising end of July on Golden Princess. The jeep excursion said minimum age is 5 and minimum weight is 50 lbs. My 6 year old is close to 50 lbs, but may be just under. I am wondering how strict the weight limit is. Which cruise are you taking? Which company did you book with?

Chipmaster-I was concerned about the evening at the Gardens and you confirmed what I was thinking. But, this may be our only chance to it, and I hear it is wonderful. Do you think it's better to go in the evening or never?

Skagway-White Pass scenic railway, jeep adventure tour, or car rental

. . . still up in the air.

Victoria-Butchart Gardens evening . . . yes or no?

Juneau-Mendenhall Glacier helicopter tour is a go!

Ketchikan-Neets Bay bear watch is a go!

Boulders-We are cruising end of July on Golden Princess. The jeep excursion said minimum age is 5 and minimum weight is 50 lbs. My 6 year old is close to 50 lbs, but may be just under. I am wondering how strict the weight limit is. Which cruise are you taking? Which company did you book with?

I'm cruising early August on Diamond Princess. I booked through the cruise ship. My ds turns 6 this weekend. :D He's 52 pounds.

jcruiser, we did Butchart Gardens two years ago in the evening and loved it. Yes, it would have been nice to get there earlier in the day, but glad we went just the same. Have never been to anything that compares.

Chipmaster-I was concerned about the evening at the Gardens and you confirmed what I was thinking. But, this may be our only chance to it, and I hear it is wonderful. Do you think it's better to go in the evening or never?

Skagway-White Pass scenic railway, jeep adventure tour, or car rental

. . . still up in the air.

Victoria-Butchart Gardens evening . . . yes or no?

Juneau-Mendenhall Glacier helicopter tour is a go!

Ketchikan-Neets Bay bear watch is a go!

We just returned from Skagway. The Ocean Raft Alaska trip was amazing -- something that kids can do and keeps their attention, but not too strenuous for oldsters. Two hours of very fast ocean rafting exploring the fiords of northern Lynn Canal, places you can't see any other way. Lots of wildlife and up close under the waterfalls. http://www.oceanraftalaska.com is how I got there -- they are too new to be sold aboard the ships.

jcruiser, we did Butchart Gardens two years ago in the evening and loved it. Yes, it would have been nice to get there earlier in the day, but glad we went just the same. Have never been to anything that compares.

Good to Know! I really want to go and since this may be our only chance, I think we will.

We just returned from Skagway. The Ocean Raft Alaska trip was amazing -- something that kids can do and keeps their attention, but not too strenuous for oldsters. Two hours of very fast ocean rafting exploring the fiords of northern Lynn Canal, places you can't see any other way. Lots of wildlife and up close under the waterfalls. www.oceanraftalaska.com is how I got there -- they are too new to be sold aboard the ships.

Thanks! I will look into that and pass it on to the family who is travelling with us. They have a 13 year old who loves rafting. Do you think it would be better than the train for a first-timer?

We just returned from Skagway. The Ocean Raft Alaska trip was amazing -- something that kids can do and keeps their attention, but not too strenuous for oldsters. Two hours of very fast ocean rafting exploring the fiords of northern Lynn Canal, places you can't see any other way. Lots of wildlife and up close under the waterfalls. www.oceanraftalaska.com is how I got there -- they are too new to be sold aboard the ships.

Just checked out their website. Looks like fun! But minimum age is 8, and out littlest one is 6. Thanks!

Archived