If staying in Seattle--where and why?

4_Leaf_Clover

I am currently trying to find a hotel to stay at in Seattle and have no idea where to begin. I know nothing about Seattle although I have started reading about it online...I didnt realize there were so many "districts" and "areas."

What I am wanting in location is somewhere within walking distance to neat attractions (not sure what though) but also not too terribly far from the train station and the airport if possible.... :confused::confused:

The Pioneer Square Courtyard Marriott in downtown Seattle. It is a beautiful hotel. The building is called the Alaska building, it was built in 1904 and the gold miners use to go there to cash in their gold. It has the original crown moldings and marble staircase. It is beautiful and the rooms are massive and the beds are the best I have ever slept on. We were just there Saturday night after our cruise. Right around the corner is the Underground Old town Seattle tour and lots of other things. A couple walking blocks away is the waterfront where the ferries go in and out and there are tons of great places to eat. We loved it.

You can stay near the airport or in downtown, but the airport is not in downtown. So, picking where you stay almost depends on how early you are getting to Seattle before leaving on your cruise, and what time of day you get in. We flew in the day before, but didn't land until about 8:00 p.m. so we had a car service take us to our hotel in downtown, and then a cab to the pier the next morning. If you get in really late at night, staying at the airport is fine, but allow enough time to get to your pier the next day. In other words, there are lots of variables, but if you want to be able to walk places, then you definitely have to be downtown.

You can stay near the airport or in downtown, but the airport is not in downtown. So, picking where you stay almost depends on how early you are getting to Seattle before leaving on your cruise, and what time of day you get in. We flew in the day before, but didn't land until about 8:00 p.m. so we had a car service take us to our hotel in downtown, and then a cab to the pier the next morning. If you get in really late at night, staying at the airport is fine, but allow enough time to get to your pier the next day. In other words, there are lots of variables, but if you want to be able to walk places, then you definitely have to be downtown.

We actually finish our cruise in Vancouver on a Wednesday, are staying Wednesday night in Vancouver, catching the 6:40am train into Seattle and not leaving Seattle until Friday so we will have a full day in Seattle to sightsee Thursday and a little time before our flight on Friday.

I considered staying close to the airport, but not sure there would be much for us to do or see staying out of downtown???

The airport is not in Seattle, but about 1/2 hr south.

The train station is near the Seattle stadiums.

Is the hotel stay before or after the cruise? Does the cruise leave from Seattle or Vancouver? how many people ?

Hotel stay is actually after cruise, 6 people.

ALthough I will bid on Priceline closer to my stay, for now I have a cancellable reservation at the Quality Inn on John Street which is near the Space Needle and the monorail.

I chose it because it has free parking, will be a short cab ride to the pier and mainly was close to our budget. We typically do not stay in 4 star hotels. We are simple people just looking for a clean room in a safe area.

If I can get a four star hotel on Priceline for the price I am paying at the Quality Inn, then great. If not, we have a place to stay in an area I think we will like.

ALthough I will bid on Priceline closer to my stay, for now I have a cancellable reservation at the Quality Inn on John Street which is near the Space Needle and the monorail.

I chose it because it has free parking, will be a short cab ride to the pier and mainly was close to our budget. We typically do not stay in 4 star hotels. We are simple people just looking for a clean room in a safe area.

If I can get a four star hotel on Priceline for the price I am paying at the Quality Inn, then great. If not, we have a place to stay in an area I think we will like.

We too are not picky...just want a safe, clean hotel :)

Definitely stay in town then, not at the airport.

Closer to downtown core, there have been lots of positive comments about the Mayflower, Warwick, and the national chains like Red Lion, Marriott. Or near the Seattle Center which is a monorail ride from the downtown core you'll find Quality Inn, Travelodge, Holiday Inn Express.

Check out this link from Trip Advisor to explain the areas and offers few recommendations.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c83685/Seattle:Washington:Where.To.Stay.In.Seattle.html

The office where I used to work overnighted clients at the Silver Cloud on Lake Union. Free shuttle to take guests to various tourist destinations like Westlake Center, the seattle center, Market, etc. (Large rooms, large free b'fast, and free laundry facilities.)

Actually your best bet would be to jump over to the West Coast Departures forum. There's a link on the first page addressing Seattle hotels and it comes up frequently so you could look back a few pages for additional recommendations.

This link provides lots of info on sights, lodging, restaurants, etc.

http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

When we first started looking for hotels they sounded reasonably priced, $84-110. but when we put in the date, July 8, the prices tripled at least! So a so called low priced hotel well over $240 did not sound good. The high priced ones were up to $500 a night.

I did call all the hotels with cruise packages that have been listed on cruisecritic. They must be very old rates.

So I went on cheaptickets dot com and found one for $119 that is within walking distance of Alaska Way where the restaurant we want to eat in that night is located (Elliott's Oyster Bar on the water is 4 blocks away). It is Executive Pacific Hotel, 400 Spring St, on hotel row, described as a botique hotel with small rooms. Pictures looked cool. It is on the drop off location of the Go Shuttle, too, so we took it. It is close to the pier, too.

Our plane lands at 6:15 and we have dinner reservations for 8:30. Consequently we will not spend much time in the room except to sleep. There's a Starbucks downstairs, I understand.

We are not trying to do sight seeing before the cruise. We will go straight to the pier after breakfast Saturday. We will do the sight seeing on the day the ship returns, with friends who live in Seattle.

I choose the Hyatt at Olive 8 downtown, very close to Pike's Place market and an easy trip to the Needle from there. I wanted to be close to those two locations and not far from the pier. Also, I like the modern look and feel, and the non-smoking property makes me a happy traveler. I booked advanced rate right through the hotel and paid $196.

I am currently trying to find a hotel to stay at in Seattle and have no idea where to begin.

What I am wanting in location is somewhere within walking distance to neat attractions (not sure what though) but also not too terribly far from the train station and the airport if possible

http://www.mediterranean-inn.com/

This is the website for the hotel we stayed in last year prior to our Alaskan cruise. It is in the Queen Anne district, about four easy walking blocks from the Space Needle. Bus stops right outside the hotel for easy access to the downtown areas. Big extra bonus is the roof deck with lounge chairs for watching the ferries come to and fro. Great views. Our room was about $100 and had a small kitchenette in it.

You know that there is a free N to S bus along the waterfront, just in the tourist area, don't you? I'm not sure of a website but I know it exists. Now it does not go to areas that are not on the waterfront like the Space Needle. It's very near one of the cruise ship ports, too. (just not the one our ship will be at!).

We've enjoyed the Hilton Homewood Suites. It is close the convention center. On Pike

BIG rooms. With a kitchen in the suites

Nice hot breakfast

Monday - Thursday evenings they have drinks and a light meal

They have a shuttle which can take you to Pike's Market, Monorail for the Space Needle, Uwajimaya, and such. Not to the airport, though.

The light rail can take you to the airport, now, from downtown. I think it is about $3...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Fares-and-Passes.xml

West Lake Sation is at 4th Ave & Pine St., Seattle, WA

You know that there is a free N to S bus along the waterfront, just in the tourist area, don't you? I'm not sure of a website but I know it exists. Now it does not go to areas that are not on the waterfront like the Space Needle. It's very near one of the cruise ship ports, too. (just not the one our ship will be at!).

Bus #99 runs along the waterfront and past the Market, among other places. And much of the downtown bus system is free. Information and maps for both routes are on the West Coast Departures forum, in the Seattle FAQ STICKY.

(The port of seattle web site will tell you which pier your cruiseline uses. http://www.portseattle.org/

We stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown the night before the cruised. It was fine, but they are doing some renovation if that would bother you. No problem on the Sat. we were there. Rate for three people was $181 total and we took their shuttle to the ship on Sunday for about $7 pp. There is a QFC grocery store a block away where I bought 2 bottles of wine to take on board. Also, they recommended a Town Car to pick us up at the airport for $40. We took a cab back to the airport on returning for $45 instead of paying HAL $81 for three people. I had read that a cab should be less than what we paid but still a good deal.

If you're going to use Priceline (which I recommend), go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com and learn the system by which you can get the best price for your hotel.

I've done it in San Diego for a (Priceline) 4* hotel and my wife is currently staying in one in New York City (she paid $185/night for a $335/night hotel per their website).

But if you go to the Bidding for Travle site, be sure to read the FAQ's and rules on how it all works. It's a pretty easy system once you learn ropes.

We've always stayed at the Sleep Inn Seatac (near the airport) prior to and following our cruise, and would highly recommend. Will be staying there again this year the evening of Aug. 4th. Clean, comfortable and large rooms, free continental breakfast (but really, its much more than just muffins and coffee - sausage gravy and biscuits, cereal - hot and cold, fruit, hardboiled eggs, muffins, toast, waffles, bagels, etc.) with a guest laundry, two computers for guest's use, a free shuttle to and from the airport and within 3 miles of the hotel to take you to local shopping and restaurants, and an IHOP right across the parking lot. Very reasonable prices (under $100), comfy beds, and a personable staff. If you want to get over to Seattle for some sightseeing, you can take the free shuttle to the airport, hop on the Light Rail and get into Seattle for $2.50 fare. Would highly recommend the Sleep Inn.

We've enjoyed the Hilton Homewood Suites. It is close the convention center. On Pike

BIG rooms. With a kitchen in the suites

Nice hot breakfast

Monday - Thursday evenings they have drinks and a light meal

They have a shuttle which can take you to Pike's Market, Monorail for the Space Needle, Uwajimaya, and such. Not to the airport, though.

The light rail can take you to the airport, now, from downtown. I think it is about $3...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Fares-and-Passes.xml

West Lake Sation is at 4th Ave & Pine St., Seattle, WA

We're at the Homewood Suites now, getting ready to leave on the Golden Princess. We have a large suite with 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper.

I cannot say enough good things about the Cedarbrook Lodge. It's 1 mile from the airport (but you'd never know it-quiet park like setting). Free shuttle to/from the airport and the light rail to downtown, which is about 1/2 hour to downtown. (24/7 free shuttle). Free breakfast, free computers in the business center to print out your boarding passes for flights, fantastic (albeit somewhat expensive) restaurant. Cheaper places very nearby though.

Rooms are luxurious - free snacks in the "living room" - just a beautiful hotel. 21 day advance purchase is quite reasonable. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

I choose the Hyatt at Olive 8 downtown, very close to Pike's Place market and an easy trip to the Needle from there. I wanted to be close to those two locations and not far from the pier. Also, I like the modern look and feel, and the non-smoking property makes me a happy traveler. I booked advanced rate right through the hotel and paid $196.

We stayed there in Sep 2009 when we did a repo out of Vancouver. We took light rail from airport to downtown, the mall stop and walked to hotel. After checking in we walked to Pike's Place and also to monorail to Space Needle. Very easy if you can do a bit of walking. Hotel was nice and clean but I'd say rooms were a bit on the smaller side.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to stay downtown when I'm in Seattle. I usually try to Hotwire a hotel when the rates are higher. Otherwise the Warwick is in a great location.

My friend swears by the Cedarbrook Lodge! It's usually rated number 1 on Tripadvisor for all of the USA.

Archived