Thinking about Sea Princess 10 Day Round Trip Alaska Inside Passage cruise in 2012

12legs2tails

Also just off on Sat.

Just want to warn you to be sure to book the cruise date that goes to Glacier Bay. NOT Tracy Arm.

This was our 5th Alaska cruise, 2nd with Princess and I was very disappointed in Tracy Arm. Could discern a small part the glacier in the distance, impossible to hear or see any "calving" which is a highlight of Sawyer Glacier in G.Bay. I asked the naturalist why Princess went to T. Arm instead of G. Bay and he admitted it is a financial decision. I guess it's cheaper. He also said only 2 ships are allowed in G.Bay at a time. So why doesn't Princess request G. B. for all the sailings?

Of course, if you have never been to Alaska, you wouldn't know the difference and may think the experience was fantastic. Just try to book on the G.B. dates for a truly fab experience.

I didn't think the seas were that rough, so don't worry about it. Just get the SEABands or pills/patches if you are concerned.

Enjoy the cruise,

Joanne

My other car is a cruise ship

I asked the naturalist why Princess went to T. Arm instead of G. Bay and he admitted it is a financial decision. I guess it's cheaper. He also said only 2 ships are allowed in G.Bay at a time. So why doesn't Princess request G. B. for all the sailings?

The issue is that the National Park service only allows so many visits to Glacier Bay per year (153 visits per year during June through August). Four cruise lines have been granted the right to visit the park... Princess, HAL, NCL and Cruise West. Princess is only allocated 58 visits per year... so obviously all their sailings cannot visit the park on every sailing.

Here's an informative link...

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/01/glacier-bay-national-park-issues-new-cruise-ship-contract

We sailed the R/T San Francisco to Alaska itinerary on the Dawn Princess in August 2008. By far, it was our favorite cruise to date (we have sailed with Princess 19 times). We were fortunate enough to have Sitka included in the itinerary. We were captivated by the quaintness of Sitka and the heavily Russian influence only enhanced our visit. Sailing under the Golden Gate on embarkation day was a foggy, windy and chilly experience. However, returning 10 days later (about 6 am) was a glorious, sunny, clear

day. I highly recommend this route. We hope to sail from San Francisco again in the near future.

Archived