Purchasing Train Tickets In Warnemuende w US Credit Card

Just a heads up about our experience purchasing tickets at the train depot in Warnemuende. We did not have our euros yet, and the bank by the station had not opened when we disembarked - and we did not see an ATM. We intended to use our credit card to purchase our tickets but neither of the cards we tried worked. Because we were causing a backup at the ticket dispenser, we elected to walk around Warnemuende first, find an ATM to get our euros, then catch the first train after 9 AM to Rostock. We missed the early - 9:07 - train to Schwerin, but even taking the 11:07 left plenty of time to see Schwerin - a charming town and interesting castle with time to spare to get back to Warnemuende for the sailing time. We used the time to explore Rostock a bit before the train left.

With euros, purchasing the $1.70 ticket to Rostock and the Lander ticket for the day's travel to Schwerin and back was no problem.

We have been to Europe several times, and could never use credit cards to purchase any tickets (train tickets, entrance tickets, etc.) from a machine. This is a general issue. The solution is to either find a window/cashier to purchase tickets, or to use cash as the OP mentioned.

Though ATM is the best way to get cash, it may not be readily available in many ports based on our own experience. If you don't already have local currency, one option is to exchange a small amount of money on the cruise. Yes, the exchange rate will not be good, but it will get you going to the city center where you can easily find ATM.

We have been to Europe several times, and could never use credit cards to purchase any tickets (train tickets, entrance tickets, etc.) from a machine. This is a general issue. The solution is to either find a window/cashier to purchase tickets, or to use cash as the OP mentioned.

Though ATM is the best way to get cash, it may not be readily available in many ports based on our own experience. If you don't already have local currency, one option is to exchange a small amount of money on the cruise. Yes, the exchange rate will not be good, but it will get you going to the city center where you can easily find ATM.

The ticket machine indicated it took MC and Visa, so this came as a surprise when our cards were rejected. They worked fine in other places, so I am not sure the cause of the problem. We did see another couple's card rejected also, so I think it was more than just our cards.

The ticket machine indicated it took MC and Visa, so this came as a surprise when our cards were rejected. They worked fine in other places, so I am not sure the cause of the problem. We did see another couple's card rejected also, so I think it was more than just our cards.

I purchase train tickets all the time using my Master Card but have never tried to buy a local transport ticket that way. Wonder if that could be the problem, that the cost was below the minimum for a credit card. Kestrel's idea to change a very small amount of money on the ship seems to be a good solution to this sticky problem.

By the way, if you leave Warnemünde after 9am a separate ticket to Rostock is not necessary. The Lander ticket covers travel on all trains operated by DBahn in Mecklenburg -Vorpommern including the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock, after 9am on weekdays and any time on Saturday and Sunday. The Lander ticket will not mention Warnemünde as the departure point, just Rostock, as Warnemünde is a Rostock suburban station.

Anni

A bigger problem each year, particularly in Northern Europe compared to Southern Europe, is that machines require what is termed "Chip and PIN" technology that U.S. banks have been refusing to adopt for more than a dozen years. Apparently the costs to them and their merchants outweigh the fraud costs in their eyes, although European banks differ. If dealing with a real-life person, you simply can request and sign a credit card slip, but that does not work with machines. (I investigated this technology more than a dozen years ago when I was a bank attorney; hard to believe the U.S. still is resisting after all this time, because this technology certainly reduces credit card fraud.)

Just a heads up about our experience purchasing tickets at the train depot in Warnemuende. We did not have our euros yet, and the bank by the station had not opened when we disembarked - and we did not see an ATM. We intended to use our credit card to purchase our tickets but neither of the cards we tried worked. Because we were causing a backup at the ticket dispenser, we elected to walk around Warnemuende first, find an ATM to get our euros, then catch the first train after 9 AM to Rostock. We missed the early - 9:07 - train to Schwerin, but even taking the 11:07 left plenty of time to see Schwerin - a charming town and interesting castle with time to spare to get back to Warnemuende for the sailing time. We used the time to explore Rostock a bit before the train left.

With euros, purchasing the $1.70 ticket to Rostock and the Lander ticket for the day's travel to Schwerin and back was no problem.

Hi Bob,

We also plan to go to Schwerein from Warnemuende. I wondered what you did in Schwerein and what you thought of Rostock. We planned to take the 9:07 to Scwerein, leisurely make our way to the castle and tour it. Then we planned to eat at the Orangerie, stroll back and take the 3:53 to Rostock and continue on to Warnemuende. After dinner, we planned to stroll through Warnemuende. We will be there on a Monday so I think all the museums will be closed but the castle will be open. We are trying to have a more relaxing day because many of the city tours will be busy. Just curious about your opinion of Schwerein and Rostock.

Nancy

The problem was probably because you used your US cards with a magnetic strip. In Europe (and more and more around the world) the 'new card' incorporates a 'Chip and PIN'. The chip inside the card is the first thing the 'ticket machine' reads, and if you don't enter the right PIN, it won't work, and no ticket. Train stations, gas-stations, etc use those. Your magnetic card just won't do.

Hopefully the US banks will come around and issue those new cards to us travelers soon.

Hi Bob,

We also plan to go to Schwerein from Warnemuende. I wondered what you did in Schwerein and what you thought of Rostock. We planned to take the 9:07 to Scwerein, leisurely make our way to the castle and tour it. Then we planned to eat at the Orangerie, stroll back and take the 3:53 to Rostock and continue on to Warnemuende. After dinner, we planned to stroll through Warnemuende. We will be there on a Monday so I think all the museums will be closed but the castle will be open. We are trying to have a more relaxing day because many of the city tours will be busy. Just curious about your opinion of Schwerein and Rostock.

Nancy

We missed the early train so explored Rostock -by tram to the center - and went on to Schwerin.The town was charming. We walked from the Hbf to the center of town, had lunch at a cafe Friederich, I believe, than explored the town and toured the castle. We toured only the castle, which was quite charming, and walked a bit around before catching thr return train. There was time on the return to stroll around Warnemuende and get back to the ship.

We liked Each of the cities, Schwerin the most, but Rostock was quite charming, and Warnemuende was worth a stroll, particularly along the water.

Have a great trip.

By the way, if you leave Warnemünde after 9am a separate ticket to Rostock is not necessary. The Lander ticket covers travel on all trains operated by DBahn in Mecklenburg -Vorpommern including the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock, after 9am on weekdays and any time on Saturday and Sunday. The Lander ticket will not mention Warnemünde as the departure point, just Rostock, as Warnemünde is a Rostock suburban station.

Anni

Ultimately we purchased only the single Lander ticket, as our train to Rostock left after 9 AM. I think the type of card rather than the time of day was the issue, as LB indicated.

Ultimately we purchased only the single Lander ticket, as our train to Rostock left after 9 AM. I think the type of card rather than the time of day was the issue, as LB indicated.

Hi Bob, I was not doubting that you knew but this business of whether the s-bahn is included in the Lander ticket or not is still causing confusion on other threads so I took the opportunity for a bit of general info. Sorry if you thought it was personal.

Anni, :o

Archived