Taking expensive camera on excursions?

Just wanted to get an idea of what other people do. Do you take your expensive camera on excursions, specifically those where you will be spending some of the time in the water?

I have a water proof camera but I recently purchased a new regular camera that takes much higher quality pics. I want to take it but I am afraid that something could happen to it. It is insured and has a good case but I am a worrier. :)

I know most tour places say they will watch your belongings for you while you swim, just wondered what others experience with this was.

Okay, that is just over thinking :D…

I just don’t think about it, I have a “expensive video cam” + a small picture cam with me at all time…You have insurance, so just take the camera with you.

If it’s the loss of the data, that you should be more worried about in my opinion, take a laptop with you on the cruise and backup your pictures every night.

Greets

Our main camera is a high end superzoom Lumix P & S. Even tho it is smaller then a DSLR, we don't take it on iffy excursions but instead use our Lumix waterproof, which we have found to take better pics then most of the other waterproof brands, especially the Olympus which we found to be slow and shaky.

Okay, that is just over thinking :D…

I just don’t think about it, I have a “expensive video cam” + a small picture cam with me at all time…You have insurance, so just take the camera with you.

If it’s the loss of the data, that you should be more worried about in my opinion, take a laptop with you on the cruise and backup your pictures every night.

Greets

My husband would agree. :D

If I'm not worrying about something, there is something wrong.

My hubby says I treat the camera like its a baby because I don't want anything to happen to it.

And as far as the data, I'm such a worrier that I use a different memory card each day :eek: so that if something happens or I loose one it won't effect all of my photos. :o

I wondered if I should take my Nikon digital SLR or just make do with my wife's pocket digital camera. In the end I decided to leave the big camera home. Does it take better pictures? Yes. Did I miss it? No!

I just make sure that all the memory cards with pics have been removed (use a new one) and not left in the camera or case from your travels the day before. I leave them in the safe on the ship. In the worse case scenario if your camera should get stolen, you have not lost all of your photos.

Another question kinda on the same topic. Does Royal allow pictures to be taken at the shows? Carnival didn't allow it even if you weren't using flash. :(

The last I recall, the Royal Caribbean policy announced at the beginning of each show is no video and no flash. I have seen lots of posts with still shots during shows.

Theron

I take whatever camera I feel like at the time. It depends more on my mood and less the value of the equipment. Basically, I don't have a nice camera to leave it locked in a safe. If anything the good stuff tends to go into the wet, dirty and dangerous situations more often than the cheap pocket camera.

I take three cameras with me on a cruise; a DSLR (D90), a high-end point & Shoot (Nikon P7000), and a waterproof camera (Olympus 8010). I have insurance on them so I am not so much worried about them. I take the DSLR if I can, but if the excursion prevents carrying one - such as an active or water excursion, then I will take one of the smaller cameras.

I took my HD video camera and Lumix ultra zoom P&S out in the zodiacs with me in Antarctica. I tried to be careful to put it in my back pack if the ride got rough. No problems with either on land.

Thanks all. I'm going to bring it but I think (because I am a little crazy :D) I might bring a plastic bag to put the case in so that I can keep it covered when I am not using it since the carrying case I have for the camera isn't water proof.

Thanks all. I'm going to bring it but I think (because I am a little crazy :D) I might bring a plastic bag to put the case in so that I can keep it covered when I am not using it since the carrying case I have for the camera isn't water proof.

For Antarctica (and any P&S), the photo coach recommended both a neck strap and plastic sandwich bag. (Our hands needed to be free to get in and out of the zodiacs). This way the P&S was kept around my neck, inside my parka, and covered with a plastic bag (zip side down with hole punched through the bag to pull through the strap). It works great.

I do not take a camera to the beach if I am planning on swimming. It is not that I mistrust others as much as it is that beach sand is notorious for ruining lenses and camera shutters. That said, I find myself more interested in taking pictures than beach activities these days!

Archived